Study: A Look At Hard Drive Reliability In Russia

Thanks for that, it was really interesting!

I'm also very suprised; I know its only a select proportion of the HD segment, but who'd have thought Hitachi would come out tops.

To have absolutely no mechanical/design flaw failures, and all damage to have been through clients is eye opening.

Its hard to put it in full perspective though, but I do feel easier knowing my Hitachi drive (if those figures are anything to go by) pretty reliable. :D

I hear you loud and clear, I wish 500GB SSD would become rather cheap one day, but until that happens, I guess we are stuck with mechanical drives. I have a WD and a Seagate, I guess I better get an Hitachi as well ;).

@Archean

Haha. :)

Would you really need 500GB on a SSD though? I'm struggling to find uses for the 256GB in my Crucial SSD. Even with all my software installed (I have quite a bit!), AND linux (and Crysis now!), I still have 185GB available out of 238GB.

My Hitachti media drive is rather full though, with only 127GB free (Though my C: is backed up in full to it so its using a bit).

That said, I bet SSD's in a proper RAID configuration would be rather ace! :D

I took into equation data storage needs along with OS and all the software one may install. So even now 500 GB seems reasonable.

In last year or so, two HDD's (one seagate and one samsung) have failed in my second rig. Anyway, for me personally, luckily only 3 hard drives have failed on me in last about 20 or so years. So, that is not a bad overall result.

And Now a Word From The Colonies......

That said, I bet SSD's in a proper RAID configuration would be rather ace! :D
Good God man, speak English! :haha:
In last year or so, two HDD's (one seagate and one samsung) have failed in my second rig. Anyway, for me personally, luckily only 3 hard drives have failed on me in last about 20 or so years. So, that is not a bad overall result.
Methinks there is cause for concern if both of those drives were recently purchased.

The 6 year old WD Caviar Blue 160GB is doing fine, thank you very much, but the 6 week old WD "Caviar Black" 640GB in another machine is not always available for comment after a bit of S-3 relaxing

@Capt.Cranky
Je ne parle pas l'anglais ;)

@Archean
I've never had a drive fail yet... Time will tell whether I spoke too soon! lol.

Good God man, speak English! :haha:
Methinks there is cause for concern if both of those drives were recently purchased.

Both of them were purchased within last two years time frame.

500GB Caviar Blue, I have in this machine was also purchased last year, however, the 200GB Barracuda was purchased many years ago, I think 3-4 (don't remember really).

Anyway, I have backed up my data at various places/sources, that is the best I can do for now.

@Capt.Cranky
Je ne parle pas l'anglais ;)

Ni Yo, tampoco....

I keep thinking that there's a punchline missing here. Something on the order of, "but the Communist Party's proprietary brand, "Red Sword" had a 0 percent failure rate, over the entire period of the Bolshevik revolution...! Honor to labor...!

Back