Study concludes that social networks make you distrustful, unhappy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

study social twitter research instagram social network

Social networks are often praised for their positive qualities: reconnecting old friends, keeping people up-to-date with what’s happening in their friends’ lives, making it easier to stay in touch with distant family members, etc. But rarely do people discuss the obvious negatives associated with social networking and the impact they have on our lives.

A pair of European researchers have been looking into peoples' relationship as it relates to social networking over the past few years and came to the same conclusion: they can have a serious negative impact on individual well-being.

Fabio Sabatini from Sapienza University of Rome in Italy and Francesco Sarracino at STATEC in Luxembourg polled 50,000 people across Italy over the span of two years.

The survey asked a series of questions such as how satisfied people were with their lives as a whole, how often they met with friends and whether or not they think people can be trusted. They also polled people as it relates to their use of online social networks.

After crunching the data, the team found that face-to-face interactions and the trust they have in people directly impacts well-being in a positive manner.

With social networks, much of that face-to-face interaction gets replaced with digital conversations which in turn lowers the trust that people have in others. A loss of trust can ultimately have an impact on someone’s overall well-being.

This led to the conclusion that the overall effect of social networking on individual welfare is significantly negative.

Do you think social networking in general has an overall positive or negative impact on its users?

Permalink to story.

I first started using Facebook in 2007 when I was 14. I am now 21. I never really used it heavily until about 2010. Maybe it was just part of "growing up" but I was more content with my life overall before Facebook and other social media websites came to existence.

The biggest reasons are that social media websites flood you with information that you don't truly care about. You may see tons of viral videos or other types of non-sense that are just distracting and don't add anything of value to your well being. Then you may have friends on your Facebook that don't do much other than post about all the negatives in their life and reading negative posts frequently will rub off on you and make you feel negative as well. Third, seeing people post about how "awesome" their lives are may make you feel less about your own, even if your own is adequate.

Those are probably the 3 biggest reasons that come to mind for me.

I've actually started to take steps to reduce the amount of social media in my life / the amount of time I spend on it. On my smartphone I have deleted or disabled pretty much all of the social media features and apps. I have cleansed my Facebook of "friends" that overwhelmingly post things I don't give any cares about. I also make an effort to spend more time outside and reduce the amount of time spent at the computer doing things that aren't critically important.

The last thing I want to do is get rid of my smartphone altogether and replace it with a basic "dumb" phone. Currently my bill is $75 a month, with a basic phone it will provide the only functionality I actually care about (making phone calls and text messaging) and would cost me a mere $15 dollars a month. Not only would I save a ton of money, I would rid myself of constant negativity from social media on my phone, which is always on me so it's so easy to be distracted by it). The only thing preventing me from doing that is that I have 12 months to go on my contract...

This needed a study? There are so many deluded people in general. All of those "It only matters of I like me" or "You can only count on yourself" posts or some variation of those always made me puke. Those posts were always made by people I always seen online. Amazing the kind of baggage people will toss on there. I have seen families melt down on there and leave each other over the most asinine things.

The only reason I even have a facebook is to see pictures of the kids.

I ditched FB a couple years back because of the unmitigated narcissism that seems to radiate from social media. Everybody seems to want to act like celebrities. The only way I'll ever reactivate my account is if they finally make use of a dislike button. Hell, I'd pay $1 a month for that feature.

I find that the Technology Review report is a little better than this one, but still bad. I eventually browsed the original article, and my conclusion is that both reports are wrong, and not representative of what the article actually says.

The article shows that social networking is correlated with an increased real life face-to-face interaction, but also with lower trust.

The article also bundles communities and discussion boards (specifically mentioning Disqus), and suggests that it's the interaction with people you don't know and the increased aggression of online interactions compared to real life result in lower trust.

So in the context of what's discussed in the article, I'd say that news discussion on Tech Spot (and the like) is worse for well being than Facebook (and the like), because it has all the negative issues while not encouraging real life interaction, which Facebook does.

When are we gonna get the obvious? "Study concludes these "Studies" are actually completely wrong and useless"

Well, JLaw's nude pics on every single of those social media definitely not making her happy.

They make me happy, the posts on Uni Lad or Lad Bible are hilarious and the comments even better. That and the ability to have all the news from all my favorite websites in one place is brilliant (Techspot, Gizmodo, Engadget, DesignModo, Th Verge, Design Milk, CreativeBloq) and so forth.

I have to help friends on FB with social problems daily. Everyone seems to be so unhappy and they turn to FB also Paltalk (video online chatting) That one is another stressful social problem area as well.

It seems like a lot of unhappy people are turning to social networks nowadays but in my day we just turned to the bottle which made sense to me, it didn't answer back and give you cheek.
I'm not a social networking person at all, I find it a waste of time and see very little sense in it, the closest I come to social networking is posting crap on sites like TS which is also a form of social networking I suppose.
Sites like FB & Twitter won't be around forever, they'll eventually be replaced with other things or they'll evolve into something else. Social networking is just a fad at the moment.

It's flawed. People are distrustful and they should be. AS for unhappy...maybe they already are

Completely true, nice to see some data.
Excellent article Shawn, now for all the hits I am helping you to get by posting this on facebook you need to get me the Deathadder 2013 BestBuy have on sale now for $40 shipped.
My name is Goofy Von Long Wong, just ship it to Disney we'll take it from there.

Back