Study: Mobile app market to hit $17.5 billion by 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a study sanctioned by app company GetJar, the mobile application market will reach $17.5 billion by 2012, at which point there will be some 50 billion programs available, compared to 7 billion last year.

Those figures are in line with other estimates, such as a recent report by Gartner, which suggested app revenue would hit $29.5 billion by the end of 2013. Such projections emphasize the rapid shift to mobile computing solutions, and other portions of the study further underscore the mobile sector's expansion.

For instance, over the past year, the number of app stores grew from 8 to 38, and more are on the way. Naturally, Apple's store leads the pack with an estimated 150,000 mobile applications and 3 billion downloads to date. Google's Android marketplace is also growing quickly with over 30,000 apps.

It seems Google's CEO isn't alone in envisioning a future without desktops. GetJar's chief executive told AFP that mobile apps will not only eclipse the traditional desktop Internet, but that "mobile devices will kill the desktop."

Permalink to story.

It's True. When we can see a road, easy and claer, we take it. It's Clear. We need something that come with us. Desktop is going to be as equal as an hold man... the past.

I just can't see it happening. People will stick with desktops because of the customizability. Sure mobile products will increase, but i cannot see them killing the desktop in that short timespan.

That's a lot of apps. But how many of them are just time-wasters? I bet there are a lot of sand clock apps specially built for those who are mesmerized by the beauty of their contours or are bored at work.

17.5 billion?

ummm why is the left side say "Revenue in Millions" then?

Theres a big different between 17.5 billion and the chart showing 17.5 million. Im confused...

Millions in the chart, billions in the article? Hmm?...
Yes I can see this happening for regular people who check surf the web, play small flash games, check e-mail, IM people, etc. But the real PC users won't because yes as flukeh said we love the customization of them.

aimhigh99 said:
That's a lot of apps. But how many of them are just time-wasters? I bet there are a lot of sand clock apps specially built for those who are mesmerized by the beauty of their contours or are bored at work.

Even though they might be time-wasters, if it brings revenue then they won't complain.

It is to be expected there is still much room for exploration with apps, now with windows mobile and the ipad there will be even more.

Watta big revenue! As what I know, most applications on phones are for free. All my apps are free so I wonder how would they get revenue from those apps... Are those revenue merely from sponsor ads?...

Not surprised here, there are lots of useful apps out there that make smart phones a handy sidekick when you're not at home. then again there are also a lot of 'just-for-fun' apps, though not necessary useful in most cases, i still appreciate the creativity

"mobile devices will kill the desktop"

Excrement of a bull.

When was the last time you saw someone running After Effects on an iPhone?

Guest said:
17.5 billion?

ummm why is the left side say "Revenue in Millions" then?

Theres is a big different between 17.5 billion and the chart showing 17.5 million. Im confused...

It says 17,000 not 17 and I believe that thousand millions is a billion (17,000x1,000,000.00).

Here's an interesting fact!

In Britain a billion = 1,000,000,000,000
and in the USA a billion = 1,000,000,000
So there's a difference of a factor of 1,000

Secondly, at today's exchange rates £1 = US$1.53
So any amount in pounds is worth 53% more in pure numbers of American dollars.

Why can't we just get along. Why does something always have to "kill" something else. I think both fields will continue to grow. When my handhold can flip open a 24" wide-screen display and is rocking dual core 3.2GHZ then I'll jump on that bandwagon ;)

It's already a huge market and I expect it would just keep getting bigger. People have no problem spending less than $5 on something for their mobile toys. If these things were going for $14.99 or more people would be less likely to buy them.

Apps are big business, but the mobile market wont kill the desktop. The mobile market is convenient, but there are just too many things you cant do on a phone that you can do on a desktop.

I agree "mobile apps will not only eclipse the traditional desktop Internet, but that "mobile devices will kill the desktop." I'm not so sure about that one, I might be wrong and I might be right time will tell and I'm looking forward to that day. Its crazy though app stores are really growing and growing the more social networking grows and people wanting to share more and share it at any time and anywhere, when they want information about certain things a lot of apps are gonna not just gonna kill the desktop if it does but other devices routers, gaming devices (portable), navigation systems, books its going to be crazy. But will the mobile market really kill desktops?

The market is doing great. What I love seeing most, is that the market is going good in South America. I am sure that the market will become much better around the world.

Deso said:
I'm waiting for the Windows 7 phone ;]
I was also waiting for Win7 phone, but all of my expectations were blown out the window when they said that it wouldn't support multitasking.
BTW if it's phone apps, then the best ones are the ones that are free. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back