Study: Mobile users are half as likely to click on ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a study by Chitika, mobile users are about half as likely to click on advertisements as non-mobile users. The research was based on a sample of 92 million impressions, of which only 1.3 million (1.5%) came from mobile platforms. The advertising network found that handsets only have a click-through rate of .48% -- as compared to the steady .83% seen from non-mobile activity.

Although the booming smartphone market has greatly contributed to interest in mobile advertising, handset users are simply less receptive to ads. This doesn't come as a surprise, either. Given the nature of mobile devices, people are inclined to be on the move during use. They are more likely to briefly check their email or fetch directions than investigate an ad's offer.

The data shows that of the five top smartphone operating systems, Apple's iPhone has the lowest clickthrough rate at .30% -- yet it had the most hits at 66%. Whether or not these figures include advertisements in apps is not stated.

Permalink to story.

well, it costs more to view pages on ur mobile/cell/smart phone, so it makes sence, I don't want to waiste any of my 512M/B mobile limit on an advert unless it really interests me!, if there was a way to block adds, saving bandwidth on mobile, I would!

And its also so much more fiddly. If I were to use the internet on my phone, it would be for necessity and I'd want to get to what I want and wouldn't mess around with anything else while I'm there. Whereas when on the desktop, I'm mostly just relaxing.

well.. duh .. of course, did they have to make a survey to find that out?
Most people still dont have free data transfers on their phones, so they could possibly face a huge phone bill if they started clicking on ad's as well . Ad's usually leading to sites with data heavy graphic content ... . . potentsially paying a lot to watch an ad for something you dont want to buy ...
some companies you have to pay $2/MB so can get expencive very quick

Don't forget that many ads these days are unfortunately Flash-based (unfortunately because they can use lots of resources) and that many phones don't support Flash (including iPhone afaik).
But I'm not sure if the ads fall back to a non-Flash version if Flash isn't available?

When i'm using mobile internet, i'm usually searching for something specific. If i'm killing time, i watch movie clips or something on youtube - banner ads on mobile seem like a good idea for companies trying to sell advertising, but from my point of view as a user - it will never work. Keep ads of my mobile, or if you have something you're sure i'm gonna be interested in, message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back