Subscribe button brings Google+ and Twitter model to Facebook

lawfer

Facebook has announced a new Subscribe button that will make it easier to keep up with people you’re interested in but might not know personally. The feature is scheduled to roll out over the next few days, according to a post on the Facebook blog.

The blog post describes the multifaceted feature as a way to choose what you see in your news feed, hear from individuals you aren’t friends with and vice-versa. This is basically the same model that Google+ and Twitter use.

When choosing what you see in your news feed, you can now select how often you want to be updated on a friend’s status. Options here include all updates, most updates (the amount you’d normally see) or important updates, which will highlight big things like a job change or relocating.

facebook subscribe facebook subscribe feature

Additionally you can adjust the types of updates you wish to see, such as photos only from certain friends or excluding game updates from another. These are all optional and if you don’t want to fine-tune what you see, simply ignore the feature.

The Subscribe button works both ways, meaning you can set up the feature on your profile to allow others to follow your updates without having to first be your friend. Users that subscribe to your feed will only be able to see updates that you mark as Public and you can further limit who can comment on your posts and what notifications you will receive. This is a completely optional feature and you must opt-in to enable it.

To enable the Subscribe button on your profile, head over to the Subscribe button page and click Allow Subscribers to get started.

Permalink to story.

Hey lawfer:

Yeah, I agree. The whole thing just calls to mind, for me anyway, how anyone who is important already has a web site anyway. Why anyone needs Twitter is beyond me. I have a Twitter account that I never use. I used to have a My____ account that I deleted.

I just don't care that much. Even if I WERE that huge, I would have better things to do than to sit around "twittering" or "twexting" or whatever the heck it is... (see how old I am...)?!

:D

How is this a "Google+" model when it is SOLELY a copy of Twitter?

Google+ didn't do ANYTHING new. So no...it is not a Google+ model

Why do my posts keep getting mysteriously deleted, huh? Why is there no follow-up notification regarding moderation, if any?

Either the site needs some technical maintenance, or a staff check up.

lawfer said:
Why do my posts keep getting mysteriously deleted, huh? Why is there no follow-up notification regarding moderation, if any?

Either the site needs some technical maintenance, or a staff check up.
Same thing happens to me. I guess our posts are growing legs and running away.

I actually use Twitter to follow information that I'm interested such as things relating to gaming or sports. I by no means use Twitter as a way to communicate my frequent useless thoughts or how big of a dump I took this afternoon. People like that need to get out more. Twitter does have it's uses though. The only time I tweet or retweet is to refer information to friends that I feel they might be interested in.

Back