Svchost.exe - application error...I found a fix in my case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just posting this because I was having a problem that seemed to come from outof nowhere: Upon booting up I was getting an error message saying

svchost.exe - Application Error

At the same time, my computer would intermittently but frequently be unable to locate my "sound device" and I had to repeatedly reinstall my sound device's driver in order to have sound.

I searched the Internet for a resolution to this problem and found that it could be a "virus," I needed some Microsoft updates that I couldn't find anywhere on the Microsoft support pages, I needed to reinstall my "corrupted operating system," etc.

I then found an old thread in this forum and some ideas were suggested to others that had similar but not the identical problem. Someone in this thread suggested that it's some HP software that's causing this but I was skeptical and ignored that because I deleted all my HP software some weeks earlier when I replaced my HP scanner with an Epson. When I was told that I'd have to spend $200 to $300 to reinstall my Windows XP I recalled the suggestion that it was possibly HP software and searched my hard drive to find out that there was, indeed, a remnant HP "auto run" driver installer that didn't get uninstalled for some inexplicable reason.

I was unable to uninstall this errant driver installer because Windows simply couldn't seem to do it. I downloaded a program called Move to Boot and that did do the trick successfully and the problem is gone and my computer no longer gives me the Application Error message and my computer does consistently recognize my audio device without issue.

I'm posting this because there doesn't seem to be any thread here other than the one I mentioned which goes back some 4 or 5 years and it's now closed. Even though it is closed, it served me well.

Thanks for posting this and, yes, those HP drivers can be a major pain acting like a trojan or virus because of their refusal to be uninstalled while causing havoc on a system.

I'll have to check out the Move to Boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back