Switch connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydy

i've one server,and two switchs,my server is connected to two switchs. my computer was connected to switch 1,if switch 1 has failed, will my computer still connected using switch 2(Which mean i didnt switch the calbe to switch 2,because both switchs were located in remote area). i'm using the same port number.

What do you mean by "my computer"? The "server"? What do you mean by "connected"? What do you mean by port number? How have you connected to the two switches? Two network cards? Have you set up network adapter bonding or are you just using two network interfaces with separate configurations?

Maybe try explaining again what exactly you want to achieve, what you have done and what is wrong.

if switch#1 fails, the pc can contact the DB1 and the server but not DB2.

edit:
you need a fully duplexed network if you wish to ensure access for any single
network failure.

see the attachment
/edit

dannydy said:
ok thanks so much.
Another doubt is that, when they're working, isn;t PC1 can access to DB2?
with the noted cross connection to both DBs to each router, then they're both accessible everywhere.

btw: notice that those are two routers, not switches. For clarification, let's say
router-1 has addresses like 192.168.10.x
router-2 has addresses like 192.168.20.x

Then each device that needs fail-save access to the DBx pair needs two NICs,
one on the 192.168.10.x and the other on 192.168.20.x.

DB systems will also have the same setup, connections to both 192.168.10.x and 192.168.20.x

dannydy said:
i've one server,and two switchs,my server is connected to two switchs. my computer was connected to switch 1,if switch 1 has failed, will my computer still connected using switch 2(Which mean i didnt switch the calbe to switch 2,because both switchs were located in remote area). i'm using the same port number.

Are these real servers and managed switches like those you either telnet into or use the browser web admin to control? Otherwise either way if you have the switches on a stack method if one switch failes then the other ones will function. But that's not always the case with CISCO Catalyst 3750 prior 5050 series was more stable. In anycase if you just have windows 2003 server with two nics one for the wan and one for the lan connected to dual switches then if one switch failed say netgear and a linksys 8-port then one will not function without the other. Did the whole switch fail or just the ports?

The main issue i concern is if the whole switch fail, not the port.
physically, when the whole switch 1 fails, PC1 will not able access to DB2. Just want to double confirm.

That's correct. The DUAL HOMING solution works if you remove all
'single points of failure', meaning if one component in any path fails, there is another
path and device to continue with.

Notice that every device on my diagram has two connections :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back