Symsnap caused bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.

B00kWyrm

Hi all...
recently used resources here to resolve one problem.
now another has cropped up.
I have had two bsod events, spaced about a week apart, each pointing (minidump analysis with windbg) to symsnap. Using google I have learned that this is a component of Norton Ghost, a program I had installed but have not used in ages...
Before bsod events, I had upgraded ram, and upgraded Harddrive.
All this is in a Gateway... 4525gz.
Now the ram is maxed and the hd is a wd scorpio blue 160gb

What I have done since bsod is...
regedit to remove all references to Norton Ghost...
(as the uninstall routine would not work).
then removed all files and folders related to Norton Ghost.

I may or may not choose to reinstall.

So, here are the questions... (finally! :D)
1. Have I properly interpreted the windbg report as pointing to Ghost?
2. Would migrating to the new hd have caused this program to break?

The two pertinent Minidump / WIndbg reports are attached.

Though we have seen tons of people having issues with Symantec/Norton antivirus and their security suits their Norton Ghost program is a respected product. One thing to keep in mind and that is that Symantec/Norton products are notorious for leaving drivers behind and theses remanants can cause future issues. In fact, Symantec had to create a special removal tool to make sure their product is fully uninstalled. Perhaps they have one for Norton Ghost.

As for your read on the minidumps you read correctly that the driver symsnap is the probable cause of your issues.

Only one thing I would raise is that both errors are 0x8E and though sometimes they can be caused by drivers, they are almost always a result of hardware issues, particularly corrupted memory.

Questions: Did you receive BSODs prior to your upgrades, particularly RAM? And when you say upgrade for your RAM how/what was upgraded, amount, etc.?

Edited Update: Also, how old is the software? Though it is possible that transferring your software to another harddrive is, I suppose, possible it may have more to do with the age and if any updating has occured. Are you getting BSODs as a result from any other software?

Re concerns addressed...

One thing to keep in mind and that is that Symantec/Norton products are notorious for leaving drivers behind and theses remanants can cause future issues. In fact, Symantec had to create a special removal tool to make sure their product is fully uninstalled. Perhaps they have one for Norton Ghost.

I found and followed Symantec's instructions for Ghost removal.

As for your read on the minidumps you read correctly that the driver symsnap is the probable cause of your issues.

Thanks for confirming.

Only one thing I would raise is that both errors are 0x8E and though sometimes they can be caused by drivers, they are almost always a result of hardware issues, particularly corrupted memory.

Questions: Did you receive BSODs prior to your upgrades, particularly RAM? And when you say upgrade for your RAM how/what was upgraded, amount, etc.?

The memory tested good with memtest prior to bsod, 48 hour run. No errors
and again after - 24 hours - 15 plus passes. No Errors

I should probably note that the bsod merely flashed onto the screen before it triggered an automatic reboot, and I then chose (successfully) to start windows normally.

I have upgraded from the factory installed... 512mb
to max... 2 sticks, 1gb ea, DDR1, 333mhz.

The only reason I upgraded memory was to have greater resources available for graphics. My programs were running fine.

The HD upgrade was because of a hard to find drive error.
CheckDisk did not find it. It was necessary to use other tools.
I do not remember now exactly why I went looking for it. :eek:

Edited Update: Also, how old is the software? Though it is possible that transferring your software to another harddrive is, I suppose, possible it may have more to do with the age and if any updating has occured. Are you getting BSODs as a result from any other software?

The version of Ghost I had installed was 14, installed about 6 mos ago. Since I had not used it, I had forgotten about the intallation. I was unable to repair or uninstall the software using Windows ->Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs, thus my resorting to Symantec's manual procedure for uninstalling.

Now, I am starting to wonder if the original hard drive may have corrupted this program's initial installation and thus it could not migrate properly to the new hard drive. But... to have the BSODs come about a week apart... and because of calling on symsnap during boot... It just has me a bit confused.

Update to close the thread...
Nearly three months later...
Not even one bsod after removing Ghost with Symantec's tool.

Thanks Rte44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back