System Error - Event Category (102) - Event ID 1003 Windows XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxdart

Hi

My home PC has been fine and stable for over a year. Recently while playing Farcry 2 the PC Hung, stuttering in audio. After re-boot Same thing happened in another game (WOW) and again in online Poker totalling 5 times today. This has only just started happening. After 2nd time I updated the video drivers to the most recent to no avail.
The mini dumps make no sense to me at all, can you please help?

Description (event Viewer)
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000010, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 b742cafa.

Specs: (thanks for providing Sysspec.exe btw)

Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Memory (RAM): 3072 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
CPU Speed: 1859.5 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio output
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Network Adapters: Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N
Motherboard: ConRoe945G-DVI

I've included a minidump

Many thanks

:

Your error is 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers. In your case the Broadcom Wireless driver bcmw15.sys was cited as the cause of your issue.

Update the drivers.

many thanks route 44 i'll look into it. Was that information somewhere in the mini dump? I'm curious as I couldn't make ouit any useful information from my own admin tools...

thanks
WD

Do you have the Window Debugger installed? It takes this special tool to read minidumps. And, yes, the error code and the cause were listed in the minidump. Keep in mind that minidumps often don't give a probable cause other than listing Windows OS drivers and they are usually too general to be of much help.

I dont have the debugger. I guess the solution is to post the problem on a forum and hope some kind soul helps you out! I'll let you know if updating the drivers works.
Thanks again.

WD

Actually now i think of it I installed a belkin wireless G router (bought over from the UK) the day before but couldn't see that being the problem as it was working fine and not related to gaming or the video card. I just looked for it in the hardware list and can't see it. Then did a search for bcmw15.sys and came up empty.

Would it be the router drivers (unable to locate as yet) or my wireless card drivers?

Thanks, WD

Wireless card driver. There is quite a bit on the 'net concerning the bcmw15.sys driver.

Driver issue

Hi. PC still crashing randomly, almost guaranteed when in a graphics intensive game but occasionally when doing nothing (word doc, outlook, surfing...)

I Could not find any reference to the bcmw15.sys in my system but i think it may be the bcmwl5.sys driver (that's an L not a 1) as there is some talk about it on the internet. However NEITHER file is available on the Broadcom website and all posts i have seen have vague links that don't really lead to the actual file.

I have version 4.80.9.2 which is 532KB at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. UIs this ok?

NB: The Wireless card (Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N) has been installed and working fine for some time, picking up the weak wireless network from the main house. We needed a better signal so last week got the TV cable to carry the internet to the garage apt. A generic Modem was installed by mediacom. I had a Belkin router already so I installed the modem directly to the PC (Standard 56000 bps Modem - microsoft file v. 5.1.2535.0 7/1/2001) and then the router on the pc using the utility provied on disk. I detatched the cables and now use the connection wirelessly but since setting it up my PC crashes intermittantly.

Any thoughts as to the culprit?

WD

I just had the pc freeze with no open applications at all. Just the desktop. The mouse stopped moving before i opened anything and nothing would respond.

The event viewer showed this:
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7022
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

followed 3 minutes later bythis:

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 8032
Source: BROWSER
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BROWSER_BACKUP_STOPPED
Message: The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport %1. The backup browser is stopping.

Minidumps. In this instance there was no minidump. Just the one posted previously. The BSOD is too fleeting to get any real info. Both freezes seem to be network related

thanks WD

I don't do the minidumps, but the Event Viewer is also a good place to get information:

Event #8032, Source: Browser, Description: The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport %1. The backup browser is stopping.
From Microsoft TechNet:
This computer is currently a backup browser. Backup browsers periodically retrieve the browse list from the master browser. This computer could not retrieve the browse list from the master browser five times consecutively.

The Browser 8021 event is usually logged when this event is logged. Possible causes include:
* Network outages,
* Name resolution problems,
* An overloaded master browser, or
* A master browser that is unavailable because, for example, it is shut down or has lost network connectivity.

This event usually indicates poor network health. If the backup browser cannot retrieve the browse list from the master browser, its list becomes stale and therefore unreliable, so it stops being a backup browser.
For technical details see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959912.aspx

Event #7022, Source: Service Control Manager, Description:

I always get a chuckle out of this description in EventID.net:

• [*]I, the Service Control Manager, am in charge of starting, monitoring and stopping the various services running on this computer.
    [*]A service is started it, performs its initial task as programmed and then report back to me that is up and running (all the startup operation finished)
    [*]...a bug may cause the service to get stuck in this startup procedure
    [*]... the service does not report back to me within the required time interval and it keeps reporting that it is still starting.
    [*]... I am assuming that for some reason the service is hung (stuck) and it cannot be considered started.
    [*].. I am recording this message so the administrator can take the required steps. There might be other log entries recorded by the service itself with additional details as to what is wrong with it.[/lost]
    (my editing. NOTE: the "I" is the Service Control Manager)

Please take a look here at the various causes for Event Error #7022. And note the format:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319127/en-us

Your errors are definitely pointing to flaw in the network setup. If a driver within the network is corrupt or not working in some way, it's going to put a monkey wrench in the network! (very non-technical speak)

Help when documenting Event Errors:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319127/en-us

Thanks Bobbye

I appreciate your help. i'm still looking into it. I also discovered my Nvidia Geforce 8600GT card has a fan that doesnt work. I've cleaned it but forums tell me it is a junk fan. Overheating of the card might explain the games freezing but the network problem remians. Going to re-install the modem and router i think.

Thanks again, I'll keep posting the results.

WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back