System not responding ( Help! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Toddy

Help!

I'm having serious problems with Windows XP. The system constantly goes into "not responding mode" where it quits responding (most of the time it doesn't bother giving me an error) and resets itself, I loose the bottom bar for a few seconds, and when it comes back, some of my icons on my task bar are gone.

Is there ANYTHING that I can do to fix this problem?

System:

Windows XP Profesional Corporate Edition
GeForce 3 Ti200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Maxtor 7200 RPM 160 gb hd
1 gig ram
nforce 2 motherboard

anything, ask - all drivers are up to date. This happens a lot when I'm using Windows explorer, and it's random, so there's no telling when this will happen next.

- Use explicit thread titles please
Didou

Do you have an up-to-date virus scanner? If so , which one? Also, do you know how to look to see what programs are running in the backround?

What programs run from Startup folder and Registry "Run"?
Open MS Config and copy/paste the list here. Perhaps we can help you if you give us something to work with.

You could also run "Hijackthis" and report its findings here.

Have you made any changes to your system lately? There's a possibility that installing, uninstalling, or even unknown changes can break stuff. The system restore utility can help undo many of these.

Also.. Have you run Spybot Search and Destroy (or Adaware?)

The fact that your icons are dissappearing at the bottom (and I assume they're not just hidden, but really gone) makes me think that explorer is crashing. This annoying problem is sometimes fixed by a system restore, but a tool like Norton WinDoctor might fix it, as well as an operating system repair install (or total reinstall) should fix it.

Hope this helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back