1.5 gigs of ram
A-bit nf7 mother board
audigy soundblaster
pny Geforce 256mb video card
500 watt power supply
Windows xp sp3
160 gig WD 7200rpm
40 gig 7200 rpm

So i just got done running passmark Burnin test to see why my computer is restarting or locking up whenever it wants to. I did 17 cycles and came up with 17 errors for the CPU-Math part witch says "Your system has suffered an internal error!! Im really not sure what that means, so could it be the cpu is going bad or the motherboard would anyone know? but out all of tests the cpu is the only one that came up with errors!!

I have recently just gotten 2 gigs of ram 160 gig 7200 rpm hard drive new 500 watt power supply 512 meg video card for christmas to upgrade my computer!! i have fresh new copy of windows, after installing all those items, that is when my computer started locking up and restarting on its own!!

Any help would be nice im not so smart when it comes to computers

It's a process of elimination. Put back in your old components one at a time to find out which new part is tweaking your system.

i have done that i started with the ram i took one out at a time and replaced it with my old 512 stick and let my dad use the ram that i took out and he had no problems with either one!! I just got my 512 video card 3 days ago so couldn't be that since it was having problems before!!

The only thing i could think it is, is the power supply since i haven't taken it out, but my other one is 300 watt so im not sure if it could power all these new components!!

i have my old hard drive with windows on it i swapped it out with my new one and still got problems of locking up and restarting!!

But i got no errors when running that Burnin test. just cpu errors when the burnin test was running!!

Well i just swapped PSU so im try and see if this is the problem!! Maybe a 500 watt is to much power for low end computer and its pushing to much power threw it or its bad!! But if it was bad would the computer not work at all then?

No i did not remove the cpu at all just cleaned it with botttle of air!!

Are you sure the new ram is compatible with the motherboard? did whoever purchased the ram check the QVL or supported ram type,brand, speed etc? Ansd are you mixing the new ram with older ram of a different speed/type?
**BTW, the capacity of the PSU does not matter. The components are regulated to take the needed voltage they require. you could put a 1200W PSU in there if you wanted.

pc 2700 2 1 gig sticks so yeah there both same. No im not mixing new with old!! I swapped out power supply's and it has yet to lock up or restart so until then im try and stick with what i got!! If it does lock up or restart ill be back.

I do have my manual for my motherboard and it says it will take the type of ram that i said up above!!

Well so its been a day or two now since i replace my new power supply with my old one. Windows still locks up and restarts randomly especially when i close W.O.W or C.S, but never when im in the game playing!!

So now I took out both my new pc 2700 1 gig of ram and replaced it with my 768 megs of ram!! So far hasn't locked up but im give it time before i make any calls on wheather its the problem or not!!

The only two things it could be next is the mother board and cpu!!

Im betting on the 'new ram' module. you said that the manual said it took PC 2700, but did it list that particular brand? also, did you happen to get this ram off ebay by chance? and is it "high density ram?"

Im not sure on how to tell if its high density ram, if you do i would sure like to no thank you!! Im honestly thinking its the ram to, it doesn't say anything in the manual about it being exactly pc 2700 just says i can have 3 dimms DDR 200/266/333!!

Right now i have pc 3200 ddr 400 1 gig and one of mine pc 2700 333 1 gig and has yet to lock up!! I went all day with my old ram in and didn't even lock up once!! So im try this new setup and see how this works, and so far its been going pretty well.

Maybe having the same type of ram is what locking it up but im not sure if that is correct!!

what is the brand of the ram, and where did you get it?
A vast majority of the time mixing ram of different speeds will work just fine.It will just default to the slowest ram module, and run at the lower speed. occasionally, it does not like the mix and you get the problems you are having.

Both pc 2700 are from Samsung and we have computer place here in federal way wa, called www.infotechnow.com is where i got em from!!

ive tried all possible scenarios of trying to make it lock up and so far it has not!! Maybe the computer don't like having both ram pc 2700!

if it does not lock up anymore, you have your answer. If it does monitor CPU temps, and re-seat the CPU. The Athlon XP is a bit aged.

cpu temps are below 100 all the time especially during game play!! Yeah i have athlon xp barton and you can only get upgrades for those online!!

So yeah i think the ram is what is giving me problems!!

One question though Im using a 300 watt power supply if swapped back in my 500 would my games play better or would it just stay the same?

cpu temps are below 100 all the time especially during game play

well that may be your problem, when you say "under 100" what exactly is it running at? the maximum operating temp for that CPU is 85C. if you are getting close to that or over that will cause the problems you are having.

Back