System restarts on windows boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synoptic

Hello,

I've been looking around on the internet for a solution to this problem but to no avail.

Here goes:

I've been using a lousy PC for some time and I decided to buy a new one.
So I bought a nice PC without a HDD because I thought I could use my HDD from the old PC with windows installed and all programs and all my stuff on the HDD.
Seems that didn't work out.
I put my HDD (from the older PC) on the new PC and whenever bios finishes to load and Windows XP SP2 is supposed to start booting, the system RESTARTS.

I checked in BIOS to see if my HDD is recognized and it is... it shows me everything about it... size and all that stuff.
I've set the bios to boot from it (set as the main booting device).

But whenever the PC has to boot windows it just restarts instead
Then goes again to load windows after bios loads and all that then restarts again... in an infinite loop.

I've encountered this EXACT problem before when I tried to go with my HDD at a friend and get something from the internet while using my HDD on his PC.

Can someone help me out with some info please?

Thanks.

PS: I hope I posted on the correct board... if not then sorry, please move the topic.

Not quite.

It's about 1 year old.

But it works perfectly on my old PC. No trouble at all.

But when I try to put it on my new PC, that stuff happens even though the new PC supports it.

You need to "reinstall" the hard drive on the new computer. By default, Microsoft fixes Windows so it cannot be transferred from machine to machine.
You will need to install your hard drive in the bay, then boot to your windows Install disk and go to R for repair mode and reinstall the drive. You will not damage existing data if you do the install with the R for repair method. At some point during this process, you will be given the choice to register your Windows Install product ID by internet or telephone. I suggest you register by telephone.
At that point, you should have no more troubles with it.

So repair was the solution... thanks a lot mate. :approve::grinthumb

Solved... thread to close if you want.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back