System restore points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all, please be kind my first posting and little /no technical knowledge of computers hence why I need system restore points.

Operating XP used to be able to use System restore points easily as they were automatically created however now they are created as these are indicated in bold when I open up the calender Iso the computer is creating them I can also create new points these to indicated in bold however when I go through the process at the end if it states that the resoration did not happen or word to that affect ie the computer did not go back to that date ???? and any problems on computer stay there I have tried to put in the recovery discs and start again however same problem any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

System Restore is a Windows function that allows you to "rollback" the system files to the earlier point in time when a "snapshot" is created of each important system file and some application file changes. But note: System Restore is not a System Backup.

The difference: System Restore is taking a snapshot of system files plus a very limited set of other system resources. A (full) System Backup is taking a snapshot of every EVERYTHING.

System Restores are a great idea as they can run quickly but in too many cases become a user's default "System Backup" - until realizing that System Restores give you a chance at recovery but it may not, in fact, have saved EVERYTHING needed to get to that rollback point because many other changes occured since that point which were never saved so can't be restored.

Also note, you have a limited time window to use a System Restore point. Windows reserves a maximum amount of space to save them. Once that space runs out, Windows removes older System Restore points to make room for a new System Restore.

[CENTER]SYSTEM RESTORE IS NOT A SYSTEM BACKUP REPLACEMENT.
RUN SYSTEM BACKUPS AS WELL[/CENTER]

Hi thanks for the reply, however there are System Restore points been automatically made by my computer but when I go through the process it will not rollback to that resore date selected ??? any idea why
Thanks

Yes, for the exact reason i stated. The computer is created a snapshot of files that will hopefully be sufficient for the rollback date. Between the moment that snapshot was taken and the time you want to do the rollback, many, many things could have changed on your computer. There is no guarantee that the System Restore points has included all those changes and can roll them all back. You only get that level of assurance and functionality by running System Backups.

System Restore points give you a chance at recovery and help users who don't bother doing backups cause they will at least help fix problems SOME times but not ALL the time. (Nor were they ever designed or expected to rollback successfully all the time)

Because they are old, corrupt, or there was not enough storage space in the cache for them to work. Any change in hardware can also affect whether it can roll back... if the system setup is different, it often cannot work.

system restore also does not protect against viri infections. In fact, many viri attack system restore. It is best to turn OFF system restore and use an imaging program like GOBACK. Also backup your system completely to an offline hard drive. Preferably by imaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back