System will not Boot with External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidclark425

I'm using a Seagate 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive that prevents my system from booting if it is plugged in and powered. Before entering windows i get the message: "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+dlt to restart".
when i unplug the drive before i boot everything works.

I'm wondering if the external drive is being mistaken for the primary drive and how i could fix this other than unplugging the external drive every time i boot the system.

I'm using a Seagate 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive that prevents my system from booting if it is plugged in and powered. Before entering windows i get the message: "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+dlt to restart".
when i unplug the drive before i boot everything works.

I'm wondering if the external drive is being mistaken for the primary drive and how i could fix this other than unplugging the external drive every time i boot the system.

This message is that the BIOS did not detect any bootloaders.

It seems that when you put you External HDD you computer want to boot from it from USB. You have two options first and easiest one is to go to BIOS and remove first or second boot from USB and put only CD/DVD Drive.

Second one will be annoying is to unplug your External HDD everytime you power on your PC.

P.S It will do the same with a USB flash drive too.

That's what I said you to do.

Remove First or Second Boot option in BIOS which may be on USB or Removable Disk. Leave it blank or put it on floppy drive (prefer leave blank). Put the first Boot option CD/DVD Drive and the other one blank and nothing on USB or Removable Drive.

Done with that you will no more get problem with External HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back