T-Mobile surprises select customers with unlimited 4G LTE data through 2015

Shawn Knight

Staff member

t-mobile lte 4g lte wireless provider unlimited data john legere free data data stash unlimited 4g lte

T-Mobile subscribers may want to keep an eye on incoming text messages over the coming days. That’s because the disruptive carrier is sending invitations out to select customers with an offer to upgrade their data package to unlimited 4G LTE data free of charge for the remainder of 2015.

The promotional text provides lucky recipients with a link to this landing page with all of the details. There’s no extra cost and no action required; not much to complain about there.

T-Mobile does note that users will see their Data Stash and starter stash (rollover data) disappear but with unlimited data, there’s obviously no need for rollover data. The free data offering starts on April 1 and runs through the end of the year. If for some reason, a user wishes to stick with their current plan, they can simply text “STASH” to 1508 by March 17.

It’s worth pointing out that the offer is just for unlimited data and doesn’t include other benefits that a customer would get if they were signed up for the provider’s highest unlimited 4G LTE Simple Choice plan. That plan also includes access to Rhapsody unRadio and a higher data allowance for tethering.

TMONews reached out to T-Mobile for more information but there’s been no reply as of writing. What they did learn (from a source that is familiar with the promotion) is that the company was simply hoping to surprise a small percentage of customers they believed would benefit from unlimited data.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if customers without the high enough data plans to qualify for the Data Stash feature will be picked. If I were picked I'd drop my cable internet at home in a flash.

Or you can just call threatening to quit them if you don't have better service or a lower price, and you'll magically receive one of those texts :p

I've been a t mobile customer for less than 2 years with a 4 line family plan, and I got the text yesterday. Who would ever think that a cell phone company would ever give you something for free? One note, for me the upgrade looks like its only for the primary line, which was the only line I had a data add on for. Must say, its at least a nice gesture, particularly since its "just because" not in response to a complaint or anything.

T-Mobile does note that users will see their Data Stash and starter stash (rollover data) disappear but with unlimited data, there’s obviously no need for rollover data.
I'm guessing those that get picked will be those who will not use it. I doubt very seriously data would be unlocked, for anyone that continually saturates their monthly bandwidth allotment.

I wonder if customers without the high enough data plans to qualify for the Data Stash feature will be picked. If I were picked I'd drop my cable internet at home in a flash.

Its attitudes like yours that will ensure that this plan will be yanked in no time. SIGH..

I've had 4G (max 150/50Mbps) in my phone & tablet for years now and it's never been limited anyhow. Both together 30€/m including unlimited calls, messages and data. Nicely the 4G's speeds are very good here in Finland. Usually around 30-50/30 (up/down). At my home 4G goes about ~80Mbps, never seen higher, but I have 100/10 (19€/m includes iptv servise) adsl too, so it's irrelevant.

I bet its those that barely even use their data that will get picked. Not someone like me that burns through data by mid-cycle. Its all PR stunt. Good PR stunt nonetheless. Smokes and Mirrors I tell ya.

Back