T-Mobile takes aim at heavy data users with unlimited data across two lines for $100

Shawn Knight

Staff member

T-Mobile continues to take the fight to the wireless industry leaders with cutthroat pricing that’s hard to resist. The carrier has announced a new Simple Choice family plan that offers up unlimited 4G data across two lines for just $100 per month.

The offer is $40 cheaper than T-Mobile’s existing plan for the same number of lines and unlimited data.

If two lines aren’t enough, users can add additional lines to the promotion at $40 each for up to 10 people. Things would no doubt get expensive if you’re paying for 10 lines per month but that’s the reality for some families and with T-Mobile’s new plan, such users would probably save a good bit of money.

latest t-mobile move unlimited shared data t-mobile data unlimited data shared data john legere wireless plan

In typical T-Mobile fashion, the John Legere-led company couldn’t resist taking a few jabs at the competition. Between AT&T, Sprint and Verizon, they offer 24 different family and promotional rate plans according to T-Mobile which – citing a recent study – 81 percent of people described as somewhat confusing or very confusing.

The same poll found that 75 percent of those questioned hate having to police their family members’ data usage on shared data plans.

It’s interesting to see T-Mobile promoting unlimited data plans. Such plans were pushed by virtually every major carrier at one point just before the mobile revolution really kicked off. Once carriers realized they could make more money by selling buckets of data, they phased out the unlimited plans.

Permalink to story.

$100 a month? I just want to use some data, not buy their towers.
umm...are you serious? 100$ a month for UNLIMITED 4G data for 2 people is crazy cheap. do you pay your own cell phone bill??? show me another MAJOR (not prepaid, not cricket or boost or junk like that) carrier that will offer unlimited 4G data for 2 lines for better pricing.

If the price was $50 / month for one line and they do not throttle after some arbitrary cap, I would consider doing this for my home data connection. Even if I were interested in having unlimited data on a mobile device, the way that I see this is that this is the price point T-Mobile wants to be at for every customer, and I am not buying the marketing. The way I see it is that this plan requires 2 lines even if you only have one. Sorry, T-Mobile, not interested.

umm...are you serious? 100$ a month for UNLIMITED 4G data for 2 people is crazy cheap. do you pay your own cell phone bill??? show me another MAJOR (not prepaid, not cricket or boost or junk like that) carrier that will offer unlimited 4G data for 2 lines for better pricing.
If you're an American it may be cheap, I'm not from America and yes I pay my own bill but I use prepaid. My data is wifi only, I've got no reason to use mobile data, it's way too expensive.

If the price was $50 / month for one line and they do not throttle after some arbitrary cap, I would consider doing this for my home data connection. Even if I were interested in having unlimited data on a mobile device, the way that I see this is that this is the price point T-Mobile wants to be at for every customer, and I am not buying the marketing. The way I see it is that this plan requires 2 lines even if you only have one. Sorry, T-Mobile, not interested.

These unlimited wireless plans will never replace internet landlines.... it's not feasible to burden a network with so much data use.

These unlimited wireless plans will never replace internet landlines.... it's not feasible to burden a network with so much data use.
Never is an awfully long time, and time usually catches up with never.

Matter of fact, Verizon is offering a deal where they are encouraging such use. If the data was not capped, I would do it in a instant. As I see it, limits are a BS artificial cap so that those doing the limiting can squeeze the wallets of those who subscribe.

Never is an awfully long time, and time usually catches up with never.

Matter of fact, Verizon is offering a deal where they are encouraging such use. If the data was not capped, I would do it in a instant. As I see it, limits are a BS artificial cap so that those doing the limiting can squeeze the wallets of those who subscribe.

I've said it before on threads regarding US wireless carriers... it's just not feasible for them. If they can build out capacity (and lots of it) in large cities and metropolitan areas then there is a chance. But it's just too much infrastructure to build to support this type of initiative. Then you run into the problems with municipalities/cities who have been strict on the deployment of new cell towers.

Where is this verizon deal that you speak of?

Back