T-Mobile turns its attention to the 55-and-older crowd with affordable unlimited plan

Shawn Knight

Staff member

T-Mobile’s marketing strategy over the past few years has largely focused on a younger demographic but with its latest offering, the disruptive wireless carrier is turning its attention to older users.

Under the guise that other carriers treat older citizens as if they are visually-impaired and tech illiterate, T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+ offers qualified customers (those ages 55 and up) a line of service with unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data for $50 per month with all taxes and fees included.

That’s a savings of $20 per month over the cost of a standard T-Mobile One plan but it only gets better if you add a second line. For $60 per month out the door, eligible customers can get two lines of unlimited service (with the Autopay discount). Not bad at all.

The offer is no different from an ordinary One plan which means you still get access to services and perks like Mobile Without Borders, Gogo Inflight, Digits, Mobile Hotspots, T-Mobile Tuesdays and more.

According to census estimates, there are more than 93 million people in the US over the age of 55 and most of them – 74 percent – have smartphones. What’s more, T-Mobile says that nearly 81 percent of Americans age 55+ have wireless service with Verizon (versus just eight percent with T-Mobile). Clearly, the carrier sees a market for senior-focused promotions like this.

T-Mobile’s new Unlimited 55+ plan launches on August 9. Those interested in signing up can do so over the phone, online or at a local T-Mobile retail store.

Permalink to story.

The fine print says that to stream HD video, you need a day pass at $3.00/day. I guess that unlimited data still has not regained the meaning it once had.

The fine print says that to stream HD video, you need a day pass at $3.00/day. I guess that unlimited data still has not regained the meaning it once had.

Unless you're forced to tether for Internet there's really no reason to be streaming HD. Its wasted on a tiny screen anyway.

Unless you're forced to tether for Internet there's really no reason to be streaming HD. Its wasted on a tiny screen anyway.
At that price, it might have been a good replacement for me for Spectrum, but with the $3.00/day charge for HD, I'll pass. I never watch anything on a small screen. My big screen would get jealous! :D

Back