Take a look at the Mercedes-Benz 2023 EQS SUV and its 56-inch Hyperscreen

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Remember the 56-inch MBUX Hyperscreen dashboard replacement that Mercedes-Benz showed off at last year’s CES? The carmaker has just revealed interior shots of the 2023 EQS SUV, which gives buyers the option of that massive panel, and it looks pretty spectacular.

The MBUX Hyperscreen that launched in the EQS sedan will be an optional extra in the electric SUV, set to debut on April 19. It covers virtually all of the front dashboard and includes the instrument cluster, infotainment, and passenger display in the design.

The screen could be especially welcomed by those in the passenger seat, who get their own 12.3-inch OLED display and a control area that allows them to watch streaming content or TV while the vehicle is in motion.

That might sound dangerous for easily distracted drivers, but the SUV has a clever trick to prevent wandering eyes: if the interior camera detects a driver looking at the front passenger display, it will automatically dim the screen.

The MBUX Hyperscreen is backed by an eight-core CPU alongside 24GB of RAM, and the screen covering contains scratch-resistant aluminum silicate for durability and longevity. There are also a dozen actuators behind the display providing haptic feedback when needed, support for seven individual front passenger profiles, and AI-powered personalized suggestions based on changes in the surroundings and user behavior.

As for the rest of the 2023 EQS SUV's interior, it features leather and wood to create what Mercedes-Benz describes as a "lounge-like" ambiance and an air filtration system with a HEPA filter to eliminate fine particulates, pollen, and other contaminants. The vehicle also comes with optional third-row seating and an electrically adjustable second row, allowing up to seven passengers.

Permalink to story.

Personally I prefer physical buttons and knobs instead of touchscreen interfaces. The driver needs to pay his attention to the road first and foremost, and not waste any effort while struggling to tap the small, intangible "buttons" on an "innovative" touchscreen. It's unsafe at worst and inconvenient at best. Perhaps if everything could be accomplished with the steering wheel buttons, maybe.

I dont drive very often, so I dont have a car, but man, I truly despise the abandonment of tactile controls and the insane blinding interior illumination of modern cars.

The only way I can have a car like that is if I dont need to drive it and just sit and play or rest or whatever.

I've driven the EQS 580 and the 450.

Ironically, the EQS has a more "advanced" interior than the new W223 S-class.

Having the regular display in the 450 does not feel as grand as having the hyperscreen.

The hyperscreen is basically a huge touchpanel accompanied by a large passenger display and a driver's gauge. Thing is, Chrysler is actually giving you these exact same elements optional in much less expensive cars such as the Wagoneer and the new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It isn't just having the hyperscreen that makes the EQS interior so nice: the chairs and door panels light up like an Alienware Triad desktop with LED pipes and it's really quite sexy.

Mercedes easily has the best interiors of any car on the road. Heated, cooled, massage seats with heated armrests and perfume atomizer with wide sweeping space makes sitting in the cars fee like sitting in a lounge. My S580 has been quite nice to drive, but I wish I could get that hyperscreen. Chances are, they'll make it available in new cars from the bottom on up in the future. The passenger display is really cool for road trips.

If we're gonna go to all-touchscreen controls for cars then they need to be easily removable. The things will break constantly so make them just click into a recess on the dash. Even better, have a version of the click-in unit that has physical controls for those who either can't use touch effectively or simply dislike it. A lot of older drivers fall into this category.

Personally I prefer physical buttons and knobs instead of touchscreen interfaces. The driver needs to pay his attention to the road first and foremost, and not waste any effort while struggling to tap the small, intangible "buttons" on an "innovative" touchscreen. It's unsafe at worst and inconvenient at best. Perhaps if everything could be accomplished with the steering wheel buttons, maybe.
The damndest part being that, once people start getting into accidents because they were fumbling with these touch screens, they'll use it to try and justify forcing self-driving cars, which is coming.

The damndest part being that, once people start getting into accidents because they were fumbling with these touch screens, they'll use it to try and justify forcing self-driving cars, which is coming.

I have a touchscreen in my car just as many other drivers do. For the most part, you aren't using it all the time and after some use, it becomes second nature.

I have a touchscreen in my car just as many other drivers do. For the most part, you aren't using it all the time and after some use, it becomes second nature.
That doesnt change the fact that the touchscreens are a distraction and using them is still a hazard when driving. For many using their cell phone while driving is second nature, and most of us would agree that these people are major nusiences.

Really? Not for everyone. I've had my Murano touch screen for 5 years now and I still need to try very hard to press some of the buttons on the map view, not to mention various other menus that suck. It's very frustrating.

100%agree. I despise these digital dashes that Mercedes loves. I refuse to buy a car like the A35 because the dash is a joke. Give me an Audi or Porsche interior any day. Alas this plague of digital crappery is spreading like a cancer.

I guess they think some buyers will think all that LCD space is the height of luxury, but to me I see just a bunch of probably not-top-tier panels that in combined size & pixel count you could probably find in a Walmart TV for a few hundred bucks.

I want a loose coupling between my car (which should last a decade plus) and its "infotainment" electronics (which are probably obsolete before they even leave the factory.)

Whaaat? Have you been living on Mars? This car has been on sale for couple month already. And it is not a 2023, but a 2022 car.

People get in a lot of major accidents because they are lazy and use Cruise Control" "all the time" making them (a lot of them are not skilled drivers) not brake at all at sight of danger ahead or brake too late. Hundreds of compilation of "I diots on the road" exists and 80% of those are people that don't even brake in danger.

Yet, CC is not outlawed. Mobile phones are but does that stop people from using them and breaking the law? Also, Tesla.

And you can bet when this baby breaks it will cost you 1/2 the price of the car to get it repaired / replaced. Sure would be nice to have a choice on what you get with the new car so we could bring back old fashion controls to focus on driving and not more distractions!

There is no way the different manufacturers will agree to place all the control touch sensors in the same place on these panels. So anyone getting into a different car can't help but have to take their eyes off the road ahead to find the right spot to touch. And the idea of menus is ludicrous. At least with knobs, buttons, or sliders after your learning curve you know without looking that the tactile object you are touching has a specific function. With the touch screen even if you know roughly where the desired trigger is placed you still have to look for it. Yes this is clever stuff but it serves no purpose. Just a marketing gimmick to make this mobile drinks holder seem better than all the rest of the amorphous clones on the road.

People get in a lot of major accidents because they are lazy and use Cruise Control" "all the time" making them (a lot of them are not skilled drivers) not brake at all at sight of danger ahead or brake too late. Hundreds of compilation of "I diots on the road" exists and 80% of those are people that don't even brake in danger.

Yet, CC is not outlawed. Mobile phones are but does that stop people from using them and breaking the law? Also, Tesla.
CC serves a practical purpose. When you drive a car, your attention is split in several directions - visually to your surroundings, for your hands, on the steering, and for your feet, the gas and brakes. Used appropriately, CC lets you re-allot most of the attention from your feet to steering and surroundings, which can help you react faster, as your foot will be off the gas and (ideally) hovering over the brake pedal. Whether people use it appropriately is neither here nor there.

Stupid touch instrument panels and "infotainment consoles" do not serve a practical purpose. It creates more difficult to recycle e-waste, it makes the vehicle harder to repair, it's subject to all the maladies of software from updating to malware to (software) crashes, it removes tactile feedback to controls, forcing the driver to take their attention away from their surroundings, and it creates glare. It is not an objective improvement or a useful driving tool by any possible metric where the driver is concerned. They're being forced into cars to help manufacturers make more money by injecting forced obsolescence into its design, not to give people tools to drive more effectively. Any functionality like GPS or maps already exist and are ubiquitious on smartphones and affordable, easily serviced, updated, and replaced dedicated GPS units. Ask anyone that bought a vehicle with integrated GPS about a decade ago how well it has been maintained by the manufacturer - chances are it's "abysmal." Likewise goes for dash cams and back-up cams.

These panels are solutions to an imaginary problem and comparing it to CC is laughably dumb.

Last edited:
CC serves a practical purpose. When you drive a car, your attention is split in several directions - visually to your surroundings, for your hands, on the steering, and for your feet, the gas and brakes. Used appropriately, CC lets you re-allot most of the attention from your feet to steering and surroundings, which can help you react faster, as your foot will be off the gas and (ideally) hovering over the brake pedal. Whether people use it appropriately is neither here nor there.

Stupid touch instrument panels and "infotainment consoles" do not serve a practical purpose. It creates more difficult to recycle e-waste, it makes the vehicle harder to repair, it's subject to all the maladies of software from updating to malware to (software) crashes, it removes tactile feedback to controls, forcing the driver to take their attention away from their surroundings, and it creates glare. It is not an objective improvement or a useful driving tool by any possible metric where the driver is concerned. They're being forced into cars to help manufacturers make more money by injecting forced obsolescence into its design, not to give people tools to drive more effectively. Any functionality like GPS or maps already exist and are ubiquitious on smartphones and affordable, easily serviced, updated, and replaced dedicated GPS units. Ask anyone that bought a vehicle with integrated GPS about a decade ago how well it has been maintained by the manufacturer - chances are it's "abysmal." Likewise goes for dash cams and back-up cams.

These panels are solutions to an imaginary problem and comparing it to CC is laughably dumb.

Thank you for insulting me.

Thing is, Chrysler is actually giving you these exact same elements optional in much less expensive cars such as the Wagoneer and the new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

You can't say "exact same" unless it's actually identical. The displays in the Wagoneer are not exactly the same displays MB is using.

if the interior camera detects a driver looking at the front passenger display, it will automatically dim the screen

umm... how is this prevention if the driver already diverted his / her attention to the passenger's screen? to me it means that the potential for an accident is still there, with the infotainment system to blame. Besides, how fast is the whole process of detection, analysis, dimming, anyway?

Back