Teardown shows why you should be careful with your Galaxy S22 and S22 Ultra

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: The Samsung Galaxy S22 series has been hailed as some of the best Android experiences available today, but it seems one area where the phones fall flat is their repairability. The handsets have been awarded some pretty poor scores following their teardowns, failing to match rivals like the iPhone 13 Pro.

iFixit has carried out one of its famous teardowns on the Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22 Ultra. It concluded that these are not the best phones to try and fix yourself, awarding them both a low score of 3 out of 10. For comparison, the iPhone 13 Pro was awarded a 6 out of 10 following its teardown.

Things get off to a bad start when the glass back of the S22 Ultra cracks during the opening process. Removing the batteries is also an arduous task, one that iFixit says is too difficult for a component with a limited lifespan.

The display—the part of a phone that most people are most likely to damage—is also a pain to remove due to the tight seams and lashings of adhesive Samsung applies, the latter of which iFixit says is an issue when carrying out any repair on the phones.

The single positive the Galaxy S22 handsets gained in the teardown was that they use only standard Phillips screws. It’s also noted that Samsung has not yet provided a free public service manual for either device.

In contrast to the Galaxy S22, iFixit praised the iPhone 13 Pro's modular components that are easy to replace, noting that display and battery replacements were a priority in the new iPhones’ design.

Repairability issues notwithstanding, the Galaxy S22 and Plus models are great sub-$1,000 Android phones, and you can grab both of them along with $100 gift cards (limited-time offer) on Amazon.

Permalink to story.

Why do phones have glass backs? Even if you are REALLY careful with your phone, they get tossed around in your pocket, fall off of tables, dropped. I can't list all of the things that even careful people have had happen to their phones. I had a phone break in my pocket when my car keys pressed against the screen in my pocket. The other thing is what advantage does a glass back give over a plastic one? A more "premium" feel? How premium does broken glass feel?

The problem with newer phones is that sometimes they're easy to repair, but the cost of replacement parts are too costly.

in my area Samsung S9 LCD replacement cost twice than iphone X LCD and for twenty bucks more you can get a mint used S9. this is a problem not because S9 has 4/10 repairability score, but because samsung doesn't really want to sell you the replacement part -- because they can't stand you using their phones for a long time.

let me tell you Samsung is becoming the next apple, in some cases they're actually worse.

The problem with newer phones is that sometimes they're easy to repair, but the cost of replacement parts are too costly.

in my area Samsung S9 LCD replacement cost twice than iphone X LCD and for twenty bucks more you can get a mint used S9. this is a problem not because S9 has 4/10 repairability score, but because samsung doesn't really want to sell you the replacement part -- because they can't stand you using their phones for a long time.

let me tell you Samsung is becoming the next apple, in some cases they're actually worse.
How is a used phone "mint" though?

Why do phones have glass backs?
Because every stupid reviewer demand it or will call it junk because is not "premium" enough for their liking.

I see no reasons to keep using glass when polycarbonate works and even feel better without blocking wireless charging.

Why do phones have glass backs? Even if you are REALLY careful with your phone, they get tossed around in your pocket, fall off of tables, dropped. I can't list all of the things that even careful people have had happen to their phones. I had a phone break in my pocket when my car keys pressed against the screen in my pocket. The other thing is what advantage does a glass back give over a plastic one? A more "premium" feel? How premium does broken glass feel?
Phones that have plastic backs are often criticized for it, they lack that "premium feel". Basically, whatever material phone manufacturers use is the wrong one.

Last time I had a Samsung, was a Note 3 and I killed with a bad ROM flash.

I know, my fault, but I needed a new motherboard so I reached out to Samsung, told them to charge me for the part and labor.

They said ok, took the phone and then sent it back with a stupid note " phone not under warranty and water damaged, doesnt qualify".

Got a Nexus and never looked back.

Glass? Simple...can't take it apart, have to buy a new one (h*ll, most don't keep them long enough for the battery to go bad anyway). Plus, spending that amount on a silly phone, and NOT putting it in a case?

They make them hard to take apart, on purpose. If they have the IP68 rating, it's water resistant.
Plus, making them next to impossible to disassemble & repair makes it "easier" for people to say screw it, and spend even more money on a replacement. Plastic back phones would work, but the "slim, sexy, colorful & stylish" crowd (and reviewers) would have a collective stroke!

If I am recalling correctly, they cannot use metal because of the wireless charging. I do agree with you though, I would rather the case be plastic than glass.

If I am recalling correctly, they cannot use metal because of the wireless charging. I do agree with you though, I would rather the case be plastic than glass.

Unfortunately, the majority of people seem to associate plastic with being low quality. I don't know about you, but I have yet to shatter a plastic phone.

How is a used phone "mint" though?

should've used the word "pristine". what I'm trying to say is that it is highly irregular for such an old and common phone to have costly spareparts.

say I have an S9 today and I accidentally dropped it and slightly cracked the screen, the most sensible course would be NOT to repair the phone, because I might just as well buy a used or refurbished one from ebay for the same price just as the screen itself (minus installation), or get a brand new phone altogether.

This is why you use a case. I cant imagine using a all glass phone without a case, it just means any drop onto a hard surface almost CERTAINLY will result in damage without a case. Of course even the case is not foolproof as the front is somewhat exposed, but at least gives a survival chance.

A case kind of sucks as the phone is not nearly as svelte, but what are you gonna do? You get used to it and the protection is a must.

This is why you use a case. I cant imagine using a all glass phone without a case, it just means any drop onto a hard surface almost CERTAINLY will result in damage without a case. Of course even the case is not foolproof as the front is somewhat exposed, but at least gives a survival chance.

A case kind of sucks as the phone is not nearly as svelte, but what are you gonna do? You get used to it and the protection is a must.
I bought an Otterbox for my S21+ and I work commercial construction. My screen has some small scratches on it after a year but that's really it. This phone has survived really about the most extreme environment a phone should ever see. It's been exposed to abrasives, heat, impacts, drops and all sorts of chemicals and it still in great condition. The case is in rough shape but the phone is fine.

Only downside for some is the case is pretty big but I have large hands. For me, the phone is more comfortable to hold with the case on than without

My first cellphone was an old Motorola "brickphone". Looked like a brick and was just as heavy. It was all plastic but tough as old boots. One day I set it down on the roof of my car and forgot it was there. I drove off down the road and when I applied the brakes it slid down off the roof and crashed onto the road. Oh, sh*t! I jumped out thinking it was toast but no. It was still in working order, and I had to look hard to find a tiny scratch on one corner. It didn't cost me a month's pay to buy. Secondhand the shop let me have it for £20 because it was unfashionably large. Try that trick with your Iphone or Samsung.

My one plus 6t back glass broke inside a spigen tough armor case after just a couple months. It only had a small 2 ft drop onto this carpet during that time, didn't think anything of it. Years later I replaced the battery and got a new back glass and within a month it was shattered as well. A case isn't always a sure bet.

Back