Tech support scam: Call centers shut down by Indian police in collaboration with Microsoft

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The web is populated with popup ‘virus alerts’ urging people to call the included phone numbers so the issues can be fixed. Tech-savvy users know these are scams, most of which originate from India, yet 20 percent of viewers call the fake tech-support operators, and some end up handing over money. But the New Delhi police, with help from Microsoft, is fighting back.

Much like the scam ‘tech support’ phone calls virtually everyone receives, popups that claim a computer is infected with a virus are a common occurrence, especially when visiting some of the more shady websites. These often appear to be from large companies such as Microsoft or Apple but are usually the work of scam artists working out of India.

Most of us know to ignore these alerts, but one in five people end up calling the numbers on the screen, and 6 percent of those pay fake operators to ‘fix’ the non-existent problems, according to a Microsoft survey. While it's hard to imagine anyone falling for such scams, it’s usually the older members of society who fall victim, paying anything from $99 up to $1000 to the scammers.

To try and combat the problem, police in the Indian capital of New Delhi worked with Microsoft to identify 16 fake tech-support centers. The locations were raided this week, leading to the arrest of almost three dozen people. The move comes after authorities arrested 24 people in similar raids on ten call centers last month.

Microsoft says its monitors spot around 150,000 popup ads for the fake services every day. According to the New York Times, the success of India’s outsourcing industry, much of which is made up of call centers, makes it an ideal location for the scammers. The fact that many of Microsoft’s genuine operators are based in the country also benefits these criminals.

Fake call centers aren’t just a problem for the tech industry. More than 15,000 victims in the United States lost “hundreds of millions” of dollars in a scam that saw Indian call center agents impersonate IRS tax collectors, leading to multiple arrests in the US and India earlier this year.

Permalink to story.

Isn't it amazing that for decades the computer companies claimed there was little, if anything they could do about it and now suddenly they can? Could it be that the FCC has accidentally done something right? Film at 11 .......

Isn't it amazing that for decades the computer companies claimed there was little, if anything they could do about it and now suddenly they can? Could it be that the FCC has accidentally done something right? Film at 11 .......

Its not the FCC but the threat of looming business loss to the outsourcing industry itself which promted such actions.
Getting bad publicity while becoming synonymous with such scams is another motivator.
If anything India has show to match the US agencies in terms of negotiations. Otherwise Harleys would be half of what they cost generally.

M$FT will probably hire all these guys to improve their Windows 10 telemetry and spytech phone home ET bull.

I got a call from advertisers today. It was showing local number. When I got to the living person,I asked him where this center was located. He said in Mexico. That's smart, I said. Angry customers wont get to you easily. We are a bad people, he replied, but we aren't dumb. Then he wished me a good evening, and said he ll call again later. It is time for me to change my phone number...Again..

I got a call from advertisers today. It was showing local number. When I got to the living person,I asked him where this center was located. He said in Mexico. That's smart, I said. Angry customers wont get to you easily. We are a bad people, he replied, but we aren't dumb. Then he wished me a good evening, and said he ll call again later. It is time for me to change my phone number...Again..

As SOON as I hear the Indian voice, I hang up. Few weeks back one of them was explaining there was a problem with my BT internet connection. I hadn't the heart to tell him I have no such connection.

Haven't any of you people ever heard of an answering machine?

Hint...Those douches won't leave a message. Anybody you know who does, you can call back.

Although, sometimes I do pick up the phone long enough to tell them I'm on the national do not call list.

Given Trump's massive ego, I think fraudulent Indian telemarketers are likely counted among the, "tens of thousands of jobs", he claims he's created...

Last edited:
For every 1 "call centre" they raid another 5 likely pop up.
Most of their employees just want to earn an honest living I assume, and are needlessly getting in trouble with the law.

Then there is the ignorance of the average PC user handing over their credit card details, or taking instructions from someone over the phone that will most likely take remote control of their PC and run SYSKEY, whereby their data is held to ransom.

I'm not saying the end user is to blame, but a little education on these matters can avoid a lot of headache and cash.

Back