Tech Tip: Enhance your browsing experience using bookmarklets

The optimistic part of me says, "That sounds pretty cool, you could do some unique things with this."

The cynic in me says, "Great, that's just what we need... more code and stuffs that will slow down web traffic, and that could potentially be exploited."

Basically, i don't know what to think about this.

customcarvin said:
The optimistic part of me says, "That sounds pretty cool, you could do some unique things with this."

The cynic in me says, "Great, that's just what we need... more code and stuffs that will slow down web traffic, and that could potentially be exploited."

Basically, i don't know what to think about this.

Well, if that's the case, then call me Mr. Cynic.

I think this is as useless as using your computer with your mouse upside down.

To be honest, after Speed Dial, bookmark(lets) are becoming pretty obsolete. Not to mention that, in Firefox, you can type anything related to the web page's URL or description, in the AwesomeBar, and it will instantly find it.

Also, there's Firefox add-on that practically puts the AwesomeBar on steroids. I forgot the name, but this add-on is able to find anything inside the web page, and it will instantly show it to you; right there in the AwesomeBar. So, say, I type "Enter ‘bookmarklets’ -- small applets stored as..." (Which is part of the starting sentence of this article), it will instantly show me this page of Techspot.

This totally demolishes the purpose of bookmark(lets). As long as you either know the name or anything that was written in that web page, you will instantly go back to it. Provided, of course, you use Firefox. Muahahaha...!

Julio said:
You've completely missed the point lawfer, bookmarklets ARE NOT bookmarks.

I see now. I researched a bit more about what bookmarklets are. It seems quite easy to confuse both, hence my earlier post; which I apologize for.

I guess I was inherently cynic, after all.

I've been using some of those bookmarklets for a while now and I find them to be extremly useful, like instapaper which made my bookmarks less cluttered with stuff i just want to read.
You should update the list to include Quix which does a load of stuff.

Mmm there are a bunch of other addons that will do this and more, or are specific for one of them at least, can't see the use for them (And its not like they consume a lot of memory, if any at all to complain about them).

These are interesting. I like the marklets one which gives me the bookmarklets, with having to clutter up the bookmark bar.

Never knew about any of these before reading the article, thanks for the info.

Sounds promising, but having an extra bar in Chromium seems a waste of browsing space. Still worth a peek.

serag said:
I've been using some of those bookmarklets for a while now and I find them to be extremly useful, like instapaper which made my bookmarks less cluttered with stuff i just want to read.
So - once you've saved some "read later" URLs to instapaper, how do you access them? If it means remembering to to log into yet another URL every day... hmmm...

Download YouTube Etc interesting but I'm used http://www.download-youtube.us/
it is much easier and more convenient can download videos

Back