TechSpot commenters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retsxel

What the heck is going with the site users lately? For about the past two weeks there have been an amazing number of TechSpot users making comments that ignore facts, context and even simple logic. People are going out of their way to be provocative, snarky, argumentative, fanboyish and generally unpleasant. I'm going to leave the mods alone as their behavior is even more bewildering.

In the absence of this happening on other sites, it seems clear something has changed here.

Anyone else having this experience?

Ahem; your avatar speaks volumes.

413532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahem; your avatar speaks volumes.
Thank You for illustrating my point so eloquently. My Avatar was meant as a joke to someone specific. Rather than ask, you assumed something and made a snarky comment about it.

Where we at so far? Eh?

I think it's actually a typical behavior for the internet. I have to explain to my kids daily that people use the internet as some sort of anonymous trash bin that they can spew all their crap into and they (my kids) need to be wise enough to pick out the useful information in order for it to be worthwhile. This is more of a skill than people understand and I'm trying to make sure this is a tool my children can make use of. I'm sorry if you're just realizing that your expectations for the majority of internet users should be reduced but I started here only occasionally do I see users giving me any sign of hope that they should be afforded this sort of access/power.

I think I might erase this post once I'm sober - the truth is hard to accept.

Hmmm, not everybodies attitude is as perfect as yours (isn't) OP .
While that's a fair point(I'm aware that I come off on the abrasive side), that doesn't explain why some users on TS are acting overly aggressive. Not just talking about to me, but in general on the site. It's like some of the users here have suddenly decided to be completely and especially nasty to everyone.

I think it's actually a typical behavior for the internet. I have to explain to my kids daily that people use the internet as some sort of anonymous trash bin that they can spew all their crap into and they (my kids) need to be wise enough to pick out the useful information in order for it to be worthwhile.
Good point, sadly. Generally and normally I would agree, it's just the nature of the internet. But I'm talking about just the past few weeks and just here. Everywhere else I frequent, everything is business as usual.

This is more of a skill than people understand and I'm trying to make sure this is a tool my children can make use of.
I say well done and carry on! (y) (Y) Many parents could care less.

I'm sorry if you're just realizing that your expectations for the majority of internet users should be reduced but I started here only occasionally do I see users giving me any sign of hope that they should be afforded this sort of access/power.
Another fair point.

I think I might erase this post once I'm sober - the truth is hard to accept.
To late... :laughing:

Oh, they censor everything and anything at least as heavily as Facebook or any of the bigger mainstream sites - since they're owned by the same people. I do enjoy Techspot's non-Langley-funded analyses on many topics, but they're getting fewer and further between. It's not just ad revenue - it's outright propaganda in many cases.

I've been banned multiple times simply for linking real science papers and articles. No reason given except they got mad - one good example being the recent "dark matter" post. If you're going to post about "dark matter", you should at least have read science paper from 15 years ago that already solved this. It's a blatant attempt to pretend those same articles don't even exist, and deny their authors the credit due. Anyone who still BELIEVES in "dark matter" and is reading this can now stop - because it's been solved for 15 years. It was an error in old, shoddy math and was easily fixed with modern charge physics, again, over a decade and a half ago.

They just drop the words into a garbage article to sell ad revenue. It's pathetic.

Oh, they censor everything and anything at least as heavily as Facebook or any of the bigger mainstream sites - since they're owned by the same people. I do enjoy Techspot's non-Langley-funded analyses on many topics, but they're getting fewer and further between. It's not just ad revenue - it's outright propaganda in many cases.

I've been banned multiple times simply for linking real science papers and articles. No reason given except they got mad - one good example being the recent "dark matter" post. If you're going to post about "dark matter", you should at least have read science paper from 15 years ago that already solved this. It's a blatant attempt to pretend those same articles don't even exist, and deny their authors the credit due. Anyone who still BELIEVES in "dark matter" and is reading this can now stop - because it's been solved for 15 years. It was an error in old, shoddy math and was easily fixed with modern charge physics, again, over a decade and a half ago.

They just drop the words into a garbage article to sell ad revenue. It's pathetic.
Mainstream physics does not agree with your position on dark matter. Until mainstream physics agrees with your position, then mainstream physics will continue to study dark matter.

I hate to go here, again, but that guy you usually say has solved everything in physics is regarded as a quack by mainstream physics. His arguments are full of fallacies.

If you expect that everyone is going to redefine a well accepted value such as PI to be equal to 4, then you better have a great, not to mention mathematically sound, reason to do so, and, AFAIK, he has convinced no mainstream mathematicians that Pi is equal to 4.

Anyone who claims such vast knowledge and that literally everyone else is wrong, should, IMO, immediately raise an eyebrow of suspicion from everyone. People like that prey on people who are not well-versed in the subject in which they claim expertise. It is not up to mainstream anything to prove him wrong, it is up to him to prove that he is right to the mainstream.

I am not going to debate this with you again. IMO, In the absence of proof acceptable to the mainstream, I think your BS detector needs some tuning.

Mainstream physics does not agree with your position on dark matter. Until mainstream physics agrees with your position, then mainstream physics will continue to study dark matter.

I hate to go here, again, but that guy you usually say has solved everything in physics is regarded as a quack by mainstream physics. His arguments are full of fallacies.

If you expect that everyone is going to redefine a well accepted value such as PI to be equal to 4, then you better have a great, not to mention mathematically sound, reason to do so, and, AFAIK, he has convinced no mainstream mathematicians that Pi is equal to 4.

Anyone who claims such vast knowledge and that literally everyone else is wrong, should, IMO, immediately raise an eyebrow of suspicion from everyone. People like that prey on people who are not well-versed in the subject in which they claim expertise. It is not up to mainstream anything to prove him wrong, it is up to him to prove that he is right to the mainstream.

I am not going to debate this with you again. IMO, In the absence of proof acceptable to the mainstream, I think your BS detector needs some tuning.

You state his arguments are full of fallacies, but do not and cannot supply any. You state he redefines Pi to = 4 but he does not, he defines Pi exactly the same as the historical definition does. It's a ratio, and any time you are measuring motions with it you have to include the time variable. This brings standard, static 3.14 Pi up to exactly 4, since 3.14 Pi is actually just 4 minus the time factor. That's why it's such a weird number in the first place. You're subtracting away something that is not an integer.

So you are misrepresenting his math as well as misunderstanding it, which tells us that you haven't read his work. And it doesn't matter what the mainstream thinks or says as a body or individually. Science and physics aren't a democracy. Science isn't a popularity contest or a vote, and if a theory is falsified then it is false. It doesn't matter who formed it, or how many other theories they have that are right or wrong. It doesn't matter what other people THINK of the person. It only matters if the theory is sound and cannot or has not yet been falsified. Miles falsifies literally hundreds of their theories, including line by line analysis of their shoddy maths too. Where's your line analysis of any of his math?

Then you say you aren't going to debate this again - but that's precisely what you just (failed) to do. You have only fallacies and personal attacks here. Let us know when you have read his papers and I'll gladly not-debate you further while still winning the debate.

So things seem to have chilled out. Weird.
AHH, the universal question:
To comment, or not to comment, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them.​

"I'd pay real money if he'd shut up!" Deforest Kelly as Dr. McCoy, Star Trek 6
:laughing:

The mod behavior has been piss poor for several months now.
I certainly had to take a few months break away from Techspot over this issue. I've now gotten the attitude that I don't care if I'm banned or not. I'm going to say what is on my mind. I will at least continue trying to moderate myself, but I make no promises. Because from what I have observed, I can't tell what is allowed and what isn't. That is other than blatant insults. But even those are one sided at times.

IMO, leaving all the first & second person pronouns and criticizing ideas rather than people would go a long way. Way back when, the wife was depositing 6-figure checks for me, but OMG so what! That says nothing about anyone.

Not talking about materialism, talking about the approach to get it, or the general motivation to be successful, debate and move forward. Sometimes, people don't agree. And thats ok. You have to let folks speak their mind to a certain degree.

IMO, leaving all the first & second person pronouns and criticizing ideas rather than people would go a long way. Way back when, the wife was depositing 6-figure checks for me, but OMG so what! That says nothing about anyone.
Do you have anything to say that actually contributes to the discussion in a way that isn't passive-aggressive or pedantic? Or are you here to special-snowflake all over the place?

This kind of illustrates the point I was making earlier. Some users are being needlessly provocative for seeming no other reason than to stroke their own ego's. It's almost as if some of the mods and users have clubbed together to annoy and intimidate users they don't like with selective censorship.

Now let's think about the past. Who else behaves/behaved in such ways...

Do you have anything to say that actually contributes to the discussion in a way that isn't passive-aggressive or pedantic?
hmm; guess teamwork or negotiations are not in your vocabulary.

hmm; guess teamwork or negotiations are not in your vocabulary.
Not true at all. You just seemed like you were joining in the with the people causing the problems.

And let's be fair, butting your head up against a brick wall is not going to get you very far beyond a headache. Sometimes you need a sledge hammer to get through.

Oh crap... I can't believe I did that. Don't drink and surf! Maybe I should add a breathalyzer to my PC to control my access.
Haha, I remember several years ago gmail used to have a thing you could turn on where you had to solve a math problem before it would send if it was late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back