TechSpot keeps redirecting me to Indian version

hitech0101

I open TS website, it opens the India edition, I then select US/UK edition it redirects to tehspot.com and then I open a news article it redirects me to India edition in.techspot.com article page. On the article page I try choosing US/UK edition then I am back at homepage techspot.com when I click once again on article link then I am back at in.techspot.com article page.

Is this being done deliberately ?

...[ ]....Is this being done deliberately ?
I think "deliberately" is a bit harsh. I'm just guessing, but "inadvertently on purpose", is likely more accurate.

As you're from India, the software is "assuming" you want the Indian version.

I can't (obviously), provide a forum or website level solution. But, I think if you have proxy/VPN available, you might just set it out of country as a work-around. If you can set a proxy for the US or UK, you should be golden.

If you have anything such as "NoScript" running, you might experiment with the permissions to see if the TS server is correctly interpreting your input.

I did not intend to come out harsh by using "deliberate". I wanted to point out about the region selector if I do I select US/UK edition then I should be able to see pages in that region and not redirected to indian version. For now will rely on VPN to access the US edition. One of the downside of the indian version is not being able to read user comments on news articles, including yours.

I did not intend to come out harsh by using "deliberate". I wanted to point out about the region selector if I do I select US/UK edition then I should be able to see pages in that region and not redirected to indian version. For now will rely on VPN to access the US edition. One of the downside of the indian version is not being able to read user comments on news articles, including yours.
As I understand it, the Indian version is still, "a work in progress". Thus, I'm sure since you've reported the problem, staff will work to resolve it.

In any case, the way the system is working makes sense for the vast majority of users in India. It's eliminating the extra step of setting language. and location. The fact that is at the moment immutable, is only a bug or an oversight

BTW, I suspect some users might be relieved not to, "suffer the slings and arrows", of viewing my comments...;) If that's not the case for you, consider me flattered. (y) :D

There are multiple means to determine 'the correct page to serve the user'. This symptom is evidence that the choice is inconsistent, not confined to a single common routine but independently made in various portions of the system.

The common technique is to first use only one function() to make this choice, default to the users Locale on his system and then to finalize by whatever means the site uses to support user language viewing.

Not to be confused by previous comments, I see what you mean @hitech0101 and I'll work on resolving this very soon via a cookie that saves your preference if you want to visit the regular TechSpot (dot com) and not the localized Indian site, so no more redirects on every click.

As a side note, we've just recently soft-launched TechSpot India and there's more to come there, including local tech news content.

Thanks for your feedback.

Opened techspot on my phone noticed there was no select US/UK Edition option. Was using chrome browser, when I used request desktop site in chrome was able to see the option and it worked fine. Is the option missing or located somewhere else in the mobile view.

Back