TechSpot's Laptop Buying Guide: Q4/2010

Julio Franco

Staff member
When shopping for a new laptop it's important to know beforehand how you plan to use it. Whether you want a multimedia or gaming powerhouse that will only move from your desk occasionally, or something that hits the sweet spot between performance and portability, there are plenty of good options if you know what to look for.

Read the complete guide:
https://www.techspot.com/guides/buying-laptop/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Julio, more than anything I love the layout of the guide. Its pretty difficult to get lost. I'm looking to get rid of my m11 from dell and upgrade to the "alienware," version. I know I know, dont shoot me down. I need something powerful that's on the go.

Great, perfect timing on the article. I will hopefully be buying a new laptop mid-next month, this article is great. I would've never looked at Asus' laptops, and they're bad ***, I don't mind spending the money and getting the one you guys mentioned.

A guy I know has the latest m11 Alienware and actually its fairly impressive! on the resolution on the screen alone it could run Battlefield: BC2 with most settings set to medium or High. for its size its fairly impressive!

Also Julio, this is a great guide! If you manage to get confused or lost you really need some glasses :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying the guide, but all compliments should go to Jose who puts all the work behind it. In the case of this article in particular I simply take on the easier curator job ;).

Even though the only time I go out is to ride my bike or college, I would get the Alienware M11x but even though it's very nice looking and runs most games very well I think it's value for money is absolute rubbish, My gaming PC I built cost about £820 overall and can play any game I want at maximum settings and resolution, to have a laptop that can do this I'd need to spend over a thousand... it's just wrong.

Thanks for keeping this guide up to date. I send a lot of people to it. So much easier that doing all the research my self :p.

I would just love to say that these guides are absolutely amazing techspot and keep up the good work. They make it so much easier to find laptop possibilities for the family when they want the resident geek/nerd to find them something. This is my #1 tech spot!

First time seeing this guide, I gotta say very impressed. The 2 gaming models are great covers most bases I can't decide if I want to haul around a bigger laptop or sacrifice the size for smaller screen. Not that im planning on buying one but I can really see that being a big issue for many.

Very good article! I've had my eye on the m11x for a while and I finally picked it up a few weeks ago. I really enjoy it! It's a great machine and the optimus feature is very nice. Battery life is great too! I travel a lot for work so I wanted something small but I still like to game on the road sometimes. The m11x was perfect for me.

Fantastic review! The format is great, and makes it really easy to compare machines. Does anyone know how long the battery in the Clevo lasts? I can't imagine it would be very long, given the desktop processor.

Very very good article. I have been reading these kinds of articles in cnet as well, but I have never seen so many awesome laptops listed before. Every laptop in the other sites were deficient in some way, whether it be price, horsepower or battery.

But, in this article, the laptops listed are truly the best of the best. My favorite was the Sony VAIO Z series. Although expensive, it seems like the ultimate laptop.

The laptops in the budget category were awesome as well because they packed a punch, even with the low price

Also, the layout and the structure of the article was second to none.. Good job guys.

Wow! Thank you for this article Jose Vilches. I could buy that HP G62t !
I hope I could find it somewhere here in Cebu City, Philippines or maybe in Japan.

It's good to know that the laptops have been categorized according to the needs of a person. I am so glad!

Why do you feel that you can rank the netbooks? They are almost exactly the same (except the ion ones obviously) but you missed out the awesomly cheap Samsung NC10

Thanks for the info. I like seeing these types of articles updated every quarter. It helps me out when making recommendations to my friends and family!

K so as a gamer I checked out gaming section and to be honest I was very dissapointed with the M11x its kinda ...well I think u can get a normal laptop with good customization to be as fast and maybe better....and because this is "Alienware" it just makes it more expensive...however the Asus seems a good catch....dont know if i can manage it with the money i currently make....but ill try to save up for it....only problem is by the time you get the money a new better usually more expensive one comes out and the games are advancing pretty quickly in terms of requirements.....

Thanks for posting this, have been looking for a good guide to compare and contrast laptops to help narrow down the field. This is really in-depth, well done

It would be very useful if you guys could do a write-up on notebook video cards; how they stack up to their desktop versions (i.e. nVidia gtx460M vs regular gtx 460) and how to interpret the naming system. As it currently stands, I assume that the GTX 445m offered in the Dell XPS is inferior to the GTX 460m offered in the Asus g73 because 460>445, but I really don't know how big of a difference there is between the two without benchmarks, etc.

Thanks!

I think there must be Lenovo T410s in the Business class. But maybe there is no other manufacturers to compare with this model. This is exclusively lighter business class model.

Like the fact that there IS a guide, but unfortunately, for me, it is lacking.
Myself, I am looking to find an ultraportable with dedicated graphics, good battery (~8 on 6-cell), not too heavy (~1.5 kg), around $1000 or less. Certainly, there are such offerings. A lot, in fact. It would be nice if you could look into this category, as well. I imagine quite a few might want such a computer.
And, as usual, a lot of these laptops only exist in US. You are too US centered! Lots of deals and stuff, but they're all US only! You need to start focusing more on international.

Awesome guide for buying laptops :D 10/10
just casually saying, if you were to spend over 2k for a laptop - why not buy a beasty desktop that you could get more specs out of from the money

Back