Telegram is banned in Brazil because it didn't check its email

mongeese

Staff
Facepalm: On Friday, Brazilian Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes ordered the suspension of Telegram because it wasn't responding to communications from Brazilian courts and law enforcement. Telegram founder and CEO Pavel Durov quickly apologized, saying that his company had missed the court's messages because they'd been checking the wrong email address.

Telegram, which is popular with far-right groups in multiple countries, is the favored platform of President Jair Bolsonaro and his supporters. Alternatives, like Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter, have cooperated closely with Brazilian courts that have tried to limit the spread of misinformation by de-platforming radical right-wing political commentators, but Telegram hasn't.

Bolsonaro has more than one million followers on the messaging platform, and his allies are saying that its ban is politically motivated. Local media report that Bolsonaro's supporters are sharing guides to accessing Telegram with VPNs.

Justice de Moraes gave Apple and Google five days to remove the app from their stores. Brazilian telecoms regulator Anatel has similarly given the country's ISPs five days block access to Telegram's services. Meanwhile, Telegram has been beseeching the courts to stay the suspension to allow it to appoint a legal representative in the country.

In his order, de Moraes remarked that it was unusual and unhelpful that Telegram hadn't appointed anyone yet. According to Durov, the courts were trying to contact Telegram via their public email, which they self-admittedly failed to monitor. If it paid its fines, appeared before the Supreme Court, and started cooperating with law enforcement, de Moraes said its suspension would be lifted.

As of publication, Telegram is still accessible. Its suspension could be delayed or lifted before it's implemented.

Image Credit: Adem AY

Permalink to story.

I share the sentiment. The injection of politics really went a bit over the line on this article. This is concerning, since among the main reasons I choose Techspot as my number 1 tech news and discussion site are the facts that it's politically and ideologically unbiased, and users are allowed to speak their minds.

Yeah, it does seem a bit onerous to mention that Telegram has been hijacked by right wing stooges. There are after all hardly any communication channels left where you won't regularly find them complaining about things like facts and reason. It kinda goes without saying.

Yeah, it does seem a bit onerous to mention that Telegram has been hijacked by right wing stooges. There are after all hardly any communication channels left where you won't regularly find them complaining about things like facts and reason. It kinda goes without saying.

You just rendered any opinion you have, on this site or anywhere else, utterly irrelevant. Congrats.

I share the sentiment. The injection of politics really went a bit over the line on this article. This is concerning, since among the main reasons I choose Techspot as my number 1 tech news and discussion site are the facts that it's politically and ideologically unbiased, and users are allowed to speak their minds.
That’s one reason I like TechSpot and have been using it as my primary news source for years as well. Though to be honest media outlets label things as “popular with far-right groups” so much these days that I basically glossed over it without thinking. It’s a phrase that signals to readers “if you’re not an extremist then don’t use this app”, aka a bias concerned with preventing people from using the app. I also notice writers reusing phrases and paragraphs from previous articles, which can be helpful in adding background, but is often lazy writing. Here’s something that would actually add context and relevance: “Telegram, a messaging app which has over 550 million active users globally, …” That would be a much better way to start the article.
Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/258749/most-popular-global-mobile-messenger-apps/

You just rendered any opinion you have, on this site or anywhere else, utterly irrelevant. Congrats.
Well, I'm somewhat reluctant to mention this but, you don't really have the privilege of summarily declaring someone's opinions, "irrelevant".
I've considered your deeply held belief that, "the election was stolen", and that tRump offered, "irrefutable evidence of election fraud", (which BTW, was thrown out be over 60 courts), to be naive at best, and completely absurd.at worst.

But it's obviously a viewpoint you cherish. To many of the rest of us, it's a form of delusionality.

But yet, we still welcome your "insight", however misguided it may seem to us.

Read the Context - Yes Telegram is used by all and sundry - But the linkage to far right was due to
Jair Bolsonaro - who is right up there with De Santis of Fl or whatever his name is .

Always amazes me - that some folks gravitate to the likes of these Politicians - oh he's a hard man like Trump - would gladly do active service and die for their country - The epitome of a good religious old style values .

They are all corrupt grifters , exploiters etc - But maybe its what their supporters want - it's their right to divert tax dollars

Read the Context - Yes Telegram is used by all and sundry - But the linkage to far right was due to
Jair Bolsonaro - who is right up there with De Santis of Fl or whatever his name is .

Always amazes me - that some folks gravitate to the likes of these Politicians - oh he's a hard man like Trump - would gladly do active service and die for their country - The epitome of a good religious old style values .

They are all corrupt grifters , exploiters etc - But maybe its what their supporters want - it's their right to divert tax dollars
The very same people that inject words like woke, leftists, and SJW in to totally unrelated articles are always the first ones to get all
cry-baby-baby-crying.gif

when something like this is mentioned.

And the irony is that Telegram has always been full of all talk, no action righties who love authoritarian governments because the thought of actually fact checking and forming their own opinions terrifies them. Thats why they all talk the same way and use the exact same keywords in their posts. And that's why they want politicians that will rule them like a king.

An amazing number of Parlor users moved on to Telegram, so through it all, Mongeese was absolutely right with his appraisal of Telegram, so that is descriptive, and not opinion or conjecture.

Facts and the truth will always rule. Despite the right.

Last edited:
Telegram is actually getting really collaborative, probably because they fear getting banned everywhere, it's quite possible that they simply didn't check their email. Here in Europe RT has been blocked by Telegram on the basis of a Council Regulation (Council Regulation (EU) 2022/350 ) because it's bad propaganda and we just need to read the good propaganda from our own media🙃... But I can actually still read the website and use the app, without having to use VPNs like people living in other dictatorships, because the ban of the website is being done using only the DNSs of the ISPs, at least here in Italy (checked it on two different ISPs, fixed line and mobile).

Well, I'm somewhat reluctant to mention this but, you don't really have the privilege of summarily declaring someone's opinions, "irrelevant".
A fine example of the sort of pollution we've all had to learn to live with.
I’m pretty sure he just blocked him. It’s a function every social software supports, not quite pollution, and indeed his privilege. The way he said it was colorful, and obviously just because he said it doesn’t make it true for everyone. He might’ve even anticipated that some would react the way you guys did too.

You always say stuff like that, but you never can prove it is "nonsense." Why not? I myself have proven your nonsense false many times over. (Just look at ZedRMs posts in the thread about EVs and the ship that sank for a recent example.) Not a shred to back up your own claims. I did with mine. I always do.
You do know the entire tail end of that exchange was pulled, right?

Congratulations. You two just proved my point with definitive eloquence.

(Just look at ZedRMs posts in the thread about EVs and the ship that sank for a recent example.) Not a shred to back up your own claims. I did with mine. I always do.
More of the moose droppings.

You are pissed at Mongeese for his comment even though you know damn well Telegram is another right wing conspiracy theorist outhouse.
There's that ego again. I'm not at all "pissed". I don't care. What happens in Brazil is for the people of Brazil to worry about. Their politics do not concern me.

"Maturity", does not resort to name calling. Even in our "uncivilized sphere", we generally don't resort to "ad hominem" attacks, no matter how much the party in question might have done to deserve them..
That is one school of thought. On a platform where the sole form of expression is written and such expression must be defined by a certain perspective, the claim of something being "ad hominem" is just a poorman's excuse for someone to use censorship to silence a person they don't agree with. The only difference between the veiled insults the you two offer and what I offer is that I do not hide my intentions. I call it directly what it is. You two think your nonsense is clever. It is not. The conversational vomit the two of you spill all over the place impresses no one.

Congratulations. You two just proved my point with definitive eloquence.

More of the moose droppings.

There's that ego again. I'm not at all "pissed". I don't care. What happens in Brazil is for the people of Brazil to worry about. Their politics do not concern me.

That is one school of thought. On a platform where the sole form of expression is written and such expression must be defined by a certain perspective, the claim of something being "ad hominem" is just a poorman's excuse for someone to use censorship to silence a person they don't agree with. The only difference between the veiled insults the you two offer and what I offer is that I do not hide my intentions. I call it directly what it is. You two think your nonsense is clever. It is not. The conversational vomit the two of you spill all over the place impresses no one.
Go try and talk down to somebody else. Or better still, what is that YOU say when you're cornered, "go tie your neck in a knot, you're done"

Last edited:
What happens in Brazil is for the people of Brazil to worry about. Their politics do not concern me.
Although usually that is a reasonable position, what if something is happening in Brazil that is seriously harmful to a group of Brazilians who have little power to influence the political process there? There happen to be some developments under Jair Bolsonaro that are quite ominous for Brazil's indigenous peoples.
Injustice, wherever it may occur, is everyone's legitimate concern.

I too have sadly watched Techspot decline but all sources of "news" are suffering the same demise. Gone are the days when the news was a service rather than a revenue source. Some day it may return but it will take a few very brave, well financed, companies that care more about truth than the all mighty dollar ..... probably not in my lifetime.

old saying: "pay peanuts, get monkeys"
To say nothing of what you get when someone essentially, "insists upon working for free".

AFAIK, Techspot has no specific "hiring criteria". An IQ or aptitude test is not required for forum membership. Nor are any references from other forums, certifying competence through prior participation.

So be careful, these little, "folksy nuggets of (supposed) wisdom", could come back to bite you in the a**.

Back