Temporary Files (84.6 GB)

Is it ok to delete Temporary Files?

• Total voters
Hi,
Guys, Today I checked my Disk why was it getting too much and found out that my Temporary Files are Holding more than 84 GBs of data should I delete it. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit.
I have attached a photo check it.

Thanks!Untitled.png

Anything in the temp folder is safe to delete. I've done it many times, especially before making backup images.

You have confused yourself a little. The 84.6Gb is the total content of the ....\local directory which is actually itself containing no less than 217 sub-directories. These are working directories and installation files of all the applications you have installed, and few of them can be truly called 'temporary'. It's true most of them will never be needed again, but it would be risky to delete them all, as you can have no idea what most of them are.

I recommend using the built-in disk cleanup tool. I dont know where it is in Windows 8.1, but in Win 7 it is control panel / performance information and tools / open disk cleanup. Try just press windows button and key disk cleanup.

You could also download a nice little tool like 'Treesize free' and start it from ...\local to see if there is one sub-directory with massively excessive space used. Typically it will turn out your anti-virus is quite needlessly storing all the virus signatures downloaded this year, or your internet connection is keeping all it's logs, or you have many crash dumps, or......all sorts of rubbish actually. A modest target for 'local' space would be less than 5Gb

You have confused yourself a little. The 84.6Gb is the total content of the ....\local directory
No it's not. It is the Temp folder properties which is located in the local folder. It is the size of the temp folder not the local folder.

No it's not. It is the Temp folder properties which is located in the local folder. It is the size of the temp folder not the local folder.
If you say so, but why does ..\temp contain 217 sub-directories ? My Win 7 has 9 sub-directories and totals just 32 files, not 8,000 + My advice re finding out what is there holds.

Looks like Win 8.1 needs more personal attention than I would have believed possible. Feel happy I never updated from Win 7.

I can see a system containing a large number of Temp folders, if the system is rarely cleaned. CCleaner purges this folder if you run it periodically.

Just run CLEANMGR and let it do the work, it's very good and PERFECTLY safe.
also, run it under the admin id
runas /user:administrator cleanmgr

Back