Tesla begins taking orders for the $140,000 Model S 'Plaid' that'll reach customers late...

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: At Tesla's recent Battery Day event, CEO Elon Musk made several important announcements regarding future battery technologies and manufacturing techniques for its EVs. He also revealed specs of the upcoming Model S 'Plaid,' the new tri-motor powertrain for Tesla's 4-door saloon that's been undergoing testing for the past several months and is now available to order. While this variant's price tag and delivery schedule will require some very deep pockets and patience, Elon also shared that a low-cost, high-volume compact Tesla EV with a $25,000 price tag will be ready in about three years.

Tesla's drive-in cinema-like Battery Day event saw the company's shareholders honk their horns whenever Elon Musk made a ground-breaking or an otherwise exciting announcement. The CEO touched on several tech advancements for the company, including the development of in-house tabless battery cells that'll offer more power and range, setting up a new cathode plant to reduce supply chain costs as well as measures to eliminate cobalt usage in its batteries.

For owners and fans of the Model S, Musk also shared details of the new 'Plaid' powertrain that blitzed the Laguna Seca racetrack last year, lapping it in 1:36.555. Tesla has since been refining the prototype that now does it six seconds quicker with a time of just 1:30.3.

The Model S 'Plaid' variant sits on top of the 'Ludicrous' version and posts some even crazier numbers, according to Tesla, both in terms of performance and range. It'll apparently do 0-60 mph in under 2 seconds, reach a top speed of 200 mph and will do a sub-9 second quarter-mile while it's at it. With a light foot, it'll do up to 520 miles on a single charge, an increase of nearly 120 miles over the current long-range model.

As expected, the new 1,100 hp / 820 kW tri-motor powertrain, alongside other chassis and battery improvements, doesn't come cheap. The 'Plaid' version, currently available to order on Tesla's website, costs almost twice as much at $140,000 versus $75,000 for the dual-motor long-range version, excluding potential incentives/savings. Customers, however, will have to wait until late 2021 to receive their hypercar-beating family saloon.

With plans to reduce supply chain costs through in-house batteries and improved manufacturing techniques, Musk predicted that future Tesla batteries would be fully recyclable and won't require lithium mining. This would also make way for a cheaper $25,000 compact EV that Musk says would be capable of driving fully autonomously when it arrives in around three years.

Although Tesla's manufacturing challenges are far from over, Musk plans to eventually produce 20 million Teslas annually with the goal of becoming "the best at manufacturing of any company on Earth."

Permalink to story.

Musk plans to eventually produce 20 million Teslas annually with the goal of becoming "the best at manufacturing of any company on Earth."

WOW, I mean if they can achieve it hats off to them but I don't think Toyota, Ford and VW are going to sit around and let it happen.

Tesla Model S is my favorite Tesla? But the Model X is what’s practical.

They really need to make a better interior.

No one is driving these things as fast as ludicrous mode allows. It eats their range away.

Elon also shared that a low-cost, high-volume compact Tesla EV with a $25,000 price tag will be ready in about three years.

Ever since he started Elon has promised this ...... lots of big promises that grab the press's attention, but no delivery. This is one element that the SEC needs to police, companies that make big claims but never deliver ..... not fair to the faithful investor ....

Elon also shared that a low-cost, high-volume compact Tesla EV with a $25,000 price tag will be ready in about three years.

Ever since he started Elon has promised this ...... lots of big promises that grab the press's attention, but no delivery. This is one element that the SEC needs to police, companies that make big claims but never deliver ..... not fair to the faithful investor ....
I get what you are saying - yes, Musky has been making promises of an affordable EV for years and has yet to deliver, if he ever does, however, I doubt that Musky's lawyers left out a statement in the press release that is something along the lines of future claims are forward-looking and may not reflect actual future deliveries" or something along those lines that basically say, we are making no promises, so Invest at your own risk. I used to be a broker, and it is illegal for any firm offering any investment product, to make any promises with respect to the possibility future returns. If Tesla's statements with respect to future products were making any sort of concrete promise, I bet the SEC would be all over them.

I get what you are saying - yes, Musky has been making promises of an affordable EV for years and has yet to deliver, if he ever does, however, I doubt that Musky's lawyers left out a statement in the press release that is something along the lines of future claims are forward-looking and may not reflect actual future deliveries" or something along those lines that basically say, we are making no promises, so Invest at your own risk. I used to be a broker, and it is illegal for any firm offering any investment product, to make any promises with respect to the possibility future returns. If Tesla's statements with respect to future products were making any sort of concrete promise, I bet the SEC would be all over them.

Now you know better than that. He got nailed a few years back when he tried to manipulate the markets ... that cost him a pretty penny & control of the company for awhile. If you go back to original announcement he clearly stated this as his intention, long before he got any advice from lawyers. Remember, this is the guy that claimed he could invent & build a "cave rescue submarine" in less than 30 days" and who's personal integrity can be measured by his building and selling "flame throwers" to anyone that would pony up the cash.

"Musk predicted that future Tesla batteries ... won't require lithium mining."

Yeah, unless they've figured out how to mass produce carbon batteries - which would be a huge breakthrough in battery technology - I very much doubt this. You may see a switch to solid-state lithium cells in the relatively near future, but lithium will be the material of choice for batteries for some time to come.

... I doubt that Musky's lawyers left out a statement in the press release that is something along the lines of future claims are forward-looking and may not reflect actual future deliveries" or something along those lines that basically say, we are making no promises, so Invest at your own risk...
I'm sure you're well aware, but if you're making investment decisions on the press release alone - or really at all - you're going to have a bad time. Companies create investor-specific documents for a reason (and I am sure lawyers go over those with a fine tooth comb)

Tesla Model S is my favorite Tesla? But the Model X is what’s practical.

They really need to make a better interior.

No one is driving these things as fast as ludicrous mode allows. It eats their range away.

Hmm, the added range should allow the owner enjoy "Plaid" actions more. And Plaid's performance blows away any production car in enthusiast market, I think it's quite significant.

He (eventually) delivered on his previous price promise, the Model 3 at $35K. This argues he'll be able to ship a compact EV at $25K, though his timeframe may slip.

I'd better place an order NOW before the bots beat me to them and they're sold out within minutes of being unleashed on the public....you know, like the RTX 3080!

This is the first time he reveals a 25k car. Last one was and still is 35k which is also affordable. These are the straight facts.

I don't think any Telsa investors are disappointed with its performance. Do you follow the stock? It went from $200 last year to $2200 at its peak this year.

I don't think any Telsa investors are disappointed with its performance. Do you follow the stock? It went from $200 last year to $2200 at its peak this year.
Based largely on selling carbon credits to other non-EV auto manufacturers, not on the sale of their actual cars.

"Elon also shared that a low-cost, high-volume compact Tesla EV with a $25,000 price tag will be ready in about three years."

Should have been planned 10 years ago...!

Musk plans to eventually produce 20 million Teslas annually with the goal of becoming "the best at manufacturing of any company on Earth."

WOW, I mean if they can achieve it hats off to them but I don't think Toyota, Ford and VW are going to sit around and let it happen.
You gotta admit, they waited too long letting Tesla get way way ahead on fully electric auto piloted cars. I would be much more comfortable getting Tesla, knowing their batteries are very reliable and lasting rather than any other brand you mentioned, except for Toyota maybe.

You gotta admit, they waited too long letting Tesla get way way ahead on fully electric auto piloted cars. I would be much more comfortable getting Tesla, knowing their batteries are very reliable and lasting rather than any other brand you mentioned, except for Toyota maybe.
Tbf Audi has been doing Auto pilot testing since 2012, but yeah tesla is quite a few years ahead. Other car companies have wasted money on making petrol and diesel engines more efficient.

tesla is quite a few years ahead. Other car companies have wasted money on making petrol and diesel engines more efficient.
Wasted? Tesla lost two billion dollars in 2018 and 2019. Over that same period, Toyota alone made over $40 billion. Automakers are going to be profitably selling internal-combustion cars for the next few decades. The R&D they do now is certainly going to pay off for them.

Wasted? Tesla lost two billion dollars in 2018 and 2019. Over that same period, Toyota alone made over $40 billion. Automakers are going to be profitably selling internal-combustion cars for the next few decades. The R&D they do now is certainly going to pay off for them.
The richest countries are steadily banning gas engine cars, who will buy them when countries that buy most cars do not want them anymore?. Now this is a task for number people: will growing countries that cant afford to ban gas cars be enough to keep making these cars rather than the electric ones?
And then also, how soon will developing countries follow the example of Europe and start banning gasoline cars?
This probably isn't something they all need to care in the next 20-40 years, unless someone finds a way to suddenly make batteries being 3-4 times cheaper, holding 4-5 more charge.
I think lots and lots of new car buyers will be glad to buy that upcoming 25k tesla car, who knows how many sales that will steal from Asian car makers...

The richest countries are steadily banning gas engine cars
No nation has banned IC automobiles. Some European nations have set potential future bans -- but those bans will be extended and extended again.

This probably isn't something they all need to care in the next 20-40 years, unless someone finds a way to suddenly make batteries being 3-4 times cheaper, holding 4-5 more charge.
I don't believe we need improvements that large in cost and range. The real issue is charging. It takes far too long to charge these for most people's usage patterns. And even if you solve that problem on the battery end, you have the supply-side problems. Charging at 110v or even 220v is far too slow. Charging stations like Ionity and Tesla's Supercharger can get the charging times down below an hour -- but neither the US nor Europe has nearly enough grid or generation capacity to run a large-scale network of these. Furthermore, if new battery tech doubles the charge, it doubles the charging time also.

Finally, you have the issue that, as EV usage expands beyond a fringe element, demand for gas will fall, and price will fall much faster, making IC autos even more cost-effective. So we'll still be producing them until at least 2040, and probably twice that long.

Tesla have not "lost" any money. They have invested them. Its a big difference. These factories and research need money to be build. On the other hand ICE manufacturers in my opinion are going into dead end. They will have no money to support the current factories from diminishing sales nor they will have money to dismantle and retool them for new production at one point. So I believe they are going to certain death.

Tesla have not "lost" any money. They have invested them. Its a big difference. These factories and research need money to be build.
Tesla's own accountants disagree with you. Those factories and the IP produced from that research have value. By law, that future value must be accurately assessed and factored into the annual profit/loss calculation. When that is done, Tesla still comes up $2B short.

Back