Tesla makes the Model S even faster with new Ludicrous mode, adds 90kWh battery option, more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Friday announced a trio of new options for the company’s flagship electric car, one of which includes a new “ludicrous” speed mode that makes the already fast Model S even quicker.

Musk said Tesla is now offering a 90 kilowatt-hour battery (kWh) pack option for the Model S. Compared to the existing 85kWh pack, the new 90kWh option provides about 15 miles of additional range and costs an extra $3,000. The option can be retrofitted into existing Model S cars although Musk advised against it unless owners are maxing out their range on a regular basis.

Musk revealed that the 70kWh version of the Model S is now available in a single motor configuration that shaves $5,000 off the asking price.

Perhaps the most interesting news of the day, however, is a new performance option that Tesla calls Ludicrous Mode. The upgrade involves installing an advanced smart fuse for the battery which allowed them to safely increase the max amp throughout from 1300 to 1500 amps. To translate – that means a lot more power.

The upgrade boosts the horsepower output of the Model S P85D from an already insane 691 to 762 horsepower. The extra power brings the 0-60 time down to just 2.8 seconds (10 percent faster than before) and is good for a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds. The car can also reach 155 mph 20 percent faster, Musk said.

The new option won’t be limited to the Model S, either. Apparently Tesla plans to bring it to the upcoming Model X SUV which will turn in a 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds which again, is insanely quick.

Be prepared to pay an extra $10,000 for the added speed.

Image courtesy Johannes Eisele, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

"Be prepared to pay an extra $10,000 for the added speed."

Money well spent if you're looking to spend some time at the local drag strip. Most ICE vehicles pulling sub 3.5 0-60 and certain sub 3s are in the same price bracket new (below if used).

That's daft. On which roads can you reach a speed of 155 mph? The top speed is academic unless you think you are in a GTA game in which case you're not gonna last very long.

I don't want an electric car that will go 0-60 in under 5 seconds...if I want that I will pull my sports car out of the garage. What I want from an electric car is one that will go at least 500 miles on one charge and one that will recharge to 100% in less than 30 minutes...until these two items are available electric cars are completely useless to a large segment of the population and will remain where they are now...less than 1% of all car sales.

Any expressway anywhere during off-peak hours, the Autobahn, and race tracks.
And which race track do you have access to that has a long enough straight to achieve 155 mph in a road car? If you try that stunt on a public road irrespective of the time you endanger innocent people and deserve to be locked up.
You take that kind of thing to the local drag strip where it's controlled and sanctioned.

And which race track do you have access to that has a long enough straight to achieve 155 mph in a road car?

Me personally? Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motor Speedway. Any car with that level of output is more than capable of hitting 155 on most professional tracks. Also, if you're in Germany, you can cruise at that speed on the Autobahn (though that would be short-lived in a Tesla).

If you try that stunt on a public road irrespective of the time you endanger innocent people and deserve to be locked up.

Agreed (with the German exception, of course). But 155 is easily achieved in vehicles like this on public roads. Even non-performance cars are easily capable of 120-130. This is one of the reasons a lot of modern performance cars have electronic limiters that prevent the vehicles from exceeding 140-180mph.

155mph hasn't been "fast" for about a decade.

That's daft. On which roads can you reach a speed of 155 mph? The top speed is academic unless you think you are in a GTA game in which case you're not gonna last very long.
In Germany on most highways...
With this car reaching 155 is fast and easy. Also 155 is not huge speed. Most sports cars today reach 190-200 as their top speed.

Any expressway anywhere during off-peak hours, the Autobahn, and race tracks.
And which race track do you have access to that has a long enough straight to achieve 155 mph in a road car? If you try that stunt on a public road irrespective of the time you endanger innocent people and deserve to be locked up.
You take that kind of thing to the local drag strip where it's controlled and sanctioned.
I've done 110 in a Nissan Versa 4 cylinder car, it was 2 AM and I was literally the only car on the highway for miles so I tried it out. That car is 3400 lbs and has a 109hp engine so a car like this would easily do it on many roads it just isn't always safe.

Just so all of you speedsters know, if you go double the speed limited posted, you won't be fined! That's right! you're going straight to jail. Not sure if that's considered a crime or a misdemeanor. Regardless...good luck finding a job after that.

I've done 110 in a Nissan Versa 4 cylinder car, it was 2 AM and I was literally the only car on the highway for miles so I tried it out. That car is 3400 lbs and has a 109hp engine so a car like this would easily do it on many roads it just isn't always safe.
I'm much older now so I think much differently to the way I though when I was a youngster. In those days I would've done exactly the same thing and gone hell for leather without a second thought but these days I'm much more circumspect.

In Germany on most highways...

Designing cars because they might be driven in Germany is probably not a wise business decision, unless you are a German car manufacturer.

Back