Tesla Model S and Model X get their first major redesign, updated powertrains and a yoke...

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: Tesla's long-overdue refresh for the Model S and Model X has finally arrived. Both vehicles have received a major interior overhaul that replaces the old portrait-style center touchscreen with a new 17" landscape display and adds a new 8" screen for rear passengers. The main highlight, however, is the yoke steering wheel that should excite aviation enthusiasts but may be tricky for drivers (and Tesla) to use on actual public roads.

The new Model S and Model X may be difficult to spot from the outside, considering subtle changes to the front bumper, rear diffuser, and the addition of new wheel designs and sizes. Things get much more interesting in the interior, which is now even more minimalistic than before and comes with a redesigned dashboard and center console in the front, while rear-seat passengers get an 8" widescreen display of their own, a new fold-down armrest, and revised seats.

Tesla has upped the screen resolution on the main console from 1900 x 1200 to 2200 x 1300 pixels and rotated it to landscape mode. The new orientation, combined with that yoke steering, may take some getting used to for existing Model S/Model X owners, but more importantly, the infotainment system packs 10 teraflops of processing power that Tesla says is "on-par with today's newest consoles."

There's also support for wireless controllers to play games, including titles like The Witcher 3, as these press shots suggest, and apparently, even Cyberpunk 2077.

Two questions for the new Model S/X: Will the EVs ship with that yoke steering wheel? and does Cyberpunk 2077 dip below 60fps?

In terms of powertrain, both the Model S and Model X come in the standard dual-motor AWD 'Long Range' spec, good for up to 412 miles in the $79,990 sedan and up to 360 miles in the $89,990 SUV (excluding potential savings). They're also available in the tri-motor 'Plaid' version that packs 1,020 hp and torque vectoring for face-melting acceleration, better traction, and higher top speeds.

The $119,990 Model S Plaid has a 390-mile range and can go from 0-60mph in under 2 seconds with a top speed of 200mph. The Model X, meanwhile, carries the same price tag and has slightly lower performance figures. It takes around half a second more than the sedan to reach 60mph (2.5 seconds), has a 163 mph top speed, and 340 miles of range. Both updated EVs are now available in Long Range and Plaid spec, with deliveries expected in March.

Finally, there's the 'Plaid+' powertrain that's only available on the Model S. This model costs $139,990 and packs 80 more horsepower than the standard 'Plaid' version. Tesla says that the Model S Plaid+ is the most aerodynamic and fastest accelerating production car in the world, which also boasts an impressive range of over 520 miles.

Although Tesla is currently taking orders for the Model S Plaid+, customers will have to wait until late 2021 for delivery.

Permalink to story.

In terms of powertrain, both the Model S and Model X come in the standard dual-motor AWD 'Long Range' spec, good for up to 412 miles in the $79,990 sedan and up to 360 miles in the $89,990 SUV (excluding potential savings).

Finally, there's the 'Plaid+' powertrain that's only available on the Model S. This model costs $139,990 and packs 80 more horsepower than the standard 'Plaid' version. Tesla says that the Model S Plaid+ is the most aerodynamic and fastest accelerating production car in the world, which also boasts an impressive range of over 520 miles.

Is this a misprint? You're paying more for shorter range? and if they can do it in the "Plaidi+" why not have the same extended range in the S and X ???? Sorry, Tesla plays too many games with their buyers for me to ever buy a car from them. I know my neighbor is starting to curse the day he bought his ..... better to watch and learn than be on the "bleeding edge" of this technology!

Surely that steering wheel is concept only?
nope, and for worst this icons on it are "buttons" to turn on/off things, because they take out sticks.
Oh, where will be a lot of hate/love of this. Popcorn is ready.

I see no improvement.

All they did was make the Model S and Model X more like the Model 3.

The reason I actually enjoy driving our Model S and X is because the interior feels more like a luxury car rather than the blandness of the Model 3.

However, what I really needed to see was Heated/ cooled seats in every model with a possible massage function.

You can get Kia/ Hyundai less than $60,000 with heated/cooled/massage seats.

Might pull the trigger on one of these now they are available on the employee car scheme. But am worried that il end up stranded somewhere with no power!

520 mile range on the range topper.

The performance stats don't really matter, there isn't a slow model, but over 500 miles of range on a single charge is a first for a road EV car?

In terms of powertrain, both the Model S and Model X come in the standard dual-motor AWD 'Long Range' spec, good for up to 412 miles in the $79,990 sedan and up to 360 miles in the $89,990 SUV (excluding potential savings).

Is this a misprint? You're paying more for shorter range? and if they can do it in the "Plaidi+" why not have the same extended range in the S and X ???? Sorry, Tesla plays too many games with their buyers for me to ever buy a car from them. I know my neighbor is starting to curse the day he bought his ..... better to watch and learn than be on the "bleeding edge" of this technology!

Are you referring to the 412 va 360 mile range difference? Of course the prices are different. One is a Model S, and the other is a Model X. They are entirely different vehicles. The X has always been more expensive and less efficient (large SUV vs sedan).

All this Tesla model S & X HP for nothing....! Just for show and ego image satisfaction...! There is hardly any freeways in US (or in Germany for that matter) with Autobahns capability and unlimited speed limit to apply these EVs showing their capabilities...! You always run out of road...! Waste of consumer's Money...!

All this Tesla model S & X HP for nothing....! Just for show and ego image satisfaction...! There is hardly any freeways in US (or in Germany for that matter) with Autobahns capability and unlimited speed limit to apply these EVs showing their capabilities...! You always run out of road...! Waste of consumer's Money...!

What’s the point of any sports car, or any car that has a top speed above the legal limit for that matter? It’s to show people you can a) afford one and b) could drive fast if you wanted to.

There’s no advantages of a Rolex compared to a $10 Casio in keeping the time, the Rolex is just a statement of wealth and looks prettier. People will always buy stuff they don’t need to show off, if it inflates their ego and makes them feel better then to them it’s not a waste of money.

To me the model S is the only vehicle that looks good in the entire Tesla lineup. And surely 0-60 in under 2 seconds must be on a prepped surface with slicks. Must be sickening acceleration.
All performance is tested on a prepped track but I agree 0-60 in under 2 seconds is just, wow. My own car can do it in 3.5 seconds and I know how that feels.

WELL SAID! I learned this out with my street bike very quickly, it can do 189-193MPH and my 1999 Camaro SS that will do 168MPH. No point and even the highways in my state with the crappy road quality and stupid drivers you can't let her loose.

I like it a lot. I never liked those stalks on cars and also want better screens. This car is a home-run.

The only "upgrade" I'm interested in is one that gives the "Model 3" an actual instrument cluster (digital okay) directly in front of the driver instead of mounted in the center of the dash.

I will NEVER buy a car with a center-mounted instrument cluster (the Toyota Yaris has this too.) It's lazy cost-cutting measure so the same car can be more easily retooled for right-hand drive.

Surely that steering wheel is concept only?
The top half comes only with the FSW Full Steering Wheel package, which is available for $5,000 at time of purchase or later as a monthly rental. It will also be automatically repo'd when you sell the car so that the used car buyer has to buy it again.

I see no improvement.

All they did was make the Model S and Model X more like the Model 3.

The reason I actually enjoy driving our Model S and X is because the interior feels more like a luxury car rather than the blandness of the Model 3.

However, what I really needed to see was Heated/ cooled seats in every model with a possible massage function.

You can get Kia/ Hyundai less than $60,000 with heated/cooled/massage seats.
Or just get a jaguar iPace

The only "upgrade" I'm interested in is one that gives the "Model 3" an actual instrument cluster (digital okay) directly in front of the driver instead of mounted in the center of the dash.

I will NEVER buy a car with a center-mounted instrument cluster (the Toyota Yaris has this too.) It's lazy cost-cutting measure so the same car can be more easily retooled for right-hand drive.
The Lucid Air has a traditional dashboard.

EDIT:
Found a pic.

sorry-tesla-but-the-lucid-air-is-way-more-luxurious-and-spacious-3.jpg

Last edited:
Back