Tesla Superchargers now cover drivers from coast to coast

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla’s coast-to-coast network of electric vehicle recharging stations is now complete. Using the company’s high-speed recharging stations known as Superchargers, a Model S driver can now commute from Los Angeles to New York (or vice versa) for the very first time.

As seen by the map below, however, the route isn’t exactly the most favorable in terms of speed or distance. Instead of shooting across I-40, I-I70 or I-80, drivers will need to head north from Albuquerque up to South Dakota and restart their easterly trek from there.

Each Supercharging station is installed near a major highway and is within walking distance of restaurants, cafes or shopping centers. Such close proximity allows drivers to take a break and grab a bite to eat or do some shopping while their vehicle is being recharged.

A 30-minute recharge will propel the Model S roughly 170 miles but more importantly, each recharge is completely free. As such, many argue that the time it takes to recharge the vehicle more than makes up for the cost of fuel, but I digress.

The pioneering electric car company plans to dot the map with several more Superchargers over the course of 2014. By 2015, we’re told the entire country will be covered which would make it possible to visit every state in the continental US and some parts of Canada without sipping an ounce of gasoline.

It’s an impressive feat no matter how you look at it, especially when you consider many never expected Tesla to get this far.

Permalink to story.

It’s an impressive feat no matter how you look at it, especially when you consider many never expected Tesla to get this far.
People think Tesla will be leapfrogged by fuel cell technology and that they won't be able to scale their battery production enough to keep up with demand. I wouldn't say that no one expected they to get this far though, their stock price went up like 300% last year and they still haven't turned a single profit. I think people expect Tesla to do great things.

(sorry to be the grammar/vocab cop, but...
a Model S driver can now commute from Los Angeles to New York
Commute means drive between home and work. I don't think it's possible to commute from LA to NY without a private jet.
Such close proximity allows drivers to take a break and grab a bite to eat .
Proximity means 'nearby' the phrase 'close proximity' is redundant. )

"Such close proximity allows drivers to take a break and grab a bite to eat or do some shopping while their vehicle is being recharged."

All the money your saving on gas, why not spend it on useless crap you now have to find room for in your car. Or get even fatter! Go America!

Also to add to the idea of "Commuting" across the country, besides the point Mike already made. How many stops would it take to get across the country? I count at least 30 stops, at 30 minutes a stop means your going to spend collectively 15 hours at service station eating or shopping, great for most American's I suppose.

Is there any information available on the negative effect on the lifespan of the batteries when using these "Superchargers"? Most "Quick" charge solutions diminishing the longevity of the batteries, I'd be interested to know by how much.

People think Tesla will be leapfrogged by fuel cell technology and that they won't be able to scale their battery production enough to keep up with demand. I wouldn't say that no one expected they to get this far though, their stock price went up like 300% last year and they still haven't turned a single profit. I think people expect Tesla to do great things.

The problem with fuel cell technology is that even if you fix all the issues with it, it would still be inferior to EVs. On top of that, the cost of building a fuel cell infrastructure would be in the trillions. Just 1 fuel pump costs 2 - 5 million to build, then there are the crazy high maintenance costs. The reason why fuel cells sound good to people is because they are thinking "how to best replicate a gasoline car". But the real question is "How to make the best car possible". Imagine they tried to make gasoline cars gallop like horses and eat straw. Same thing with fuel cells in cars, impractical and silly.

As of March 2014, Panasonic plans to open new lines at the factory and will be able to produce enough batteries for 100k cars per year. Panasonic has enough underutilized factory capacity to build 300k cars a year without building any new factories. On top of that, other options exist such as Samsung and BYD.

Commute means drive between home and work. I don't think it's possible to commute from LA to NY without a private jet.

I don't think even a private jet makes that commute practical.

Proximity means 'nearby' the phrase 'close proximity' is redundant. )

Actually, no "close proximity" is proper english. Proximity is a noun.

@Adhmuz - The biggest issue with fast charging is the heat. Tesla outfitted their car with special cooling systems that keep the car battery managed. The impact of supercharging on tesla batteries is minimum. On top of that Tesla offers an 8 year no-fault unlimited mile warranty on the 85kwh battery.

Also, you don't need to spend 15 hours at service stations eating or shopping. That is only the case if you plan to use superchargers only. But realistically, you would also charge at your hotel over night as you sleep.

Why don't they make it into an actual nicola tesla system with electricity beamed from tesla towers? Might just need as many as they have cell towers.

I think Tesla in the next decade will become more of an EV infrastructure than a car manufacturer. As they continue to expand their supercharger grid they could allow other car companies to use their cars be compatible with Tesla's chargers.

I can imagine the line-ups for the superchargers if this sort of technology takes off (granted that is a big IF and most likely long way off). At 30 minutes per charge I can just see a lot of 'park-rage' (lineup-rage'?).

Other than that, if I had the money to buy one of those cars and take a long coast-to-coast road trip vacation I think it would be pretty neat.

The problem with fuel cell technology is that even if you fix all the issues with it, it would still be inferior to EVs. On top of that, the cost of building a fuel cell infrastructure would be in the trillions. Just 1 fuel pump costs 2 - 5 million to build, then there are the crazy high maintenance costs. The reason why fuel cells sound good to people is because they are thinking "how to best replicate a gasoline car". But the real question is "How to make the best car possible". Imagine they tried to make gasoline cars gallop like horses and eat straw. Same thing with fuel cells in cars, impractical and silly.

I hope you're right. I'm a fan of Tesla. I heard that bit about Fuel cell vehicles passing them up from one of those investor talking heads discussing Tesla's future. He wasn't an industry insider. The point he made was the EVs are a temporary technology. Remember when Laser Disc replaced VHS for like a week? It was cool until DVDs came along. EVs are viewed by some in the same light. EVs still need fossil fuels indirectly because most electricity comes from fossil fuels. Using hydrogen as a fuel source is very cheap and abundant.

Actually, no "close proximity" is proper english. Proximity is a noun.
Yes, it is a noun, which means 'nearness in space, time or relationship' . So to say close nearness in space is redundant. It also makes #12 on daily writing tips.com list of redundant phrases to avoid. (http://www.dailywritingtips.com/50-redundant-phrases-to-avoid/)

But get this... in Google's definition, it uses the phrase 'close proximity' in their example sentence. /facepalm I give up.

Back