1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you, Brexit: Microsoft Surface gets more expensive in the UK

By Scorpus · 12 replies
Feb 16, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has increased the price of both the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4 in the United Kingdom, thanks to a weak pound due to the UK's decision to exit the European Union. This price hike comes after Microsoft did the same for their enterprise software and cloud services at the start of 2017.

The price increases are significant, too. Base model Surface Books have jumped from £1,299 to £1,449, a £150 or 11.5 percent increase. The hike is larger at the top end, with some Core i7 Surface Book configurations now costing £400 (15%) more, raising the price from £2,649 to £3,049.

Surface Pro 4 prices have also risen by up to £150, with most models getting a 10 to 15 percent price hike depending on the configuration.

Microsoft released a statement to Engadget on the matter:

In response to a recent review we are adjusting the British pound prices of some of our hardware and consumer software in order to align to market dynamics. These changes only affect products and services purchased by individuals, or organisations without volume licensing contracts and will be effective from February 15, 2017. For indirect sales where our products and services are sold through partners, final prices will continue to be determined by them.

There is a chance you will be able to quickly purchase a Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 from retailers before the price increases take effect, so it might be wise to check out some third-party retailers if you were interested in purchasing one.

Permalink to story.

2. davislane1

davislane1 Inquisitor Posts: 4,434   +3,420

11/10 - Epic biased headline.

3. namesrejected

namesrejected TS Maniac Posts: 229   +136

Just hop to one of the other contries where its cheaper, buy it, and hop back. Its not like the UK has a wall around it.

4. dms96960

dms96960 TS Addict Posts: 283   +48

Then simply buy a laptop from one of your own British based computer companies. Oh, wait . . .

frostyshield, Teko03 and alabama man like this.
  5. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Evangelist Posts: 742   +338

So many writers are starting to inject their own personal (and often wrong) positions into everything they write with click-bait titles to get people to drive traffic. I don't know if there is a solution for this, but I would say that it's most certainly getting annoying.

frostyshield and alabama man like this.
  6. davislane1

Time is the solution. Clickbait headlines work in the short-run, until you develop a reputation for publishing them.* It's a self-correcting problem. A great example of this are fake news outlets, who have been hemorrhaging subscriptions/ratings after years of sensationalizing everything right of left.

*The notable exception being clickbait farms. I've never seen their analytics, but they persist so something must be going right.

7. umbala

umbala TS Maniac Posts: 197   +176

Not yet. Maybe they can have a vote on that next.

8. umbala

umbala TS Maniac Posts: 197   +176

This is flat out wrong. If anything fake news outlets have been thriving in the last couple of years. The problem is not going away any time soon, and your suggestion of just waiting it out is ridiculous. If anything the problem will be getting worse and worse as these fake news sites gain popularity and traction. The current political culture certainly isn't helping matters either.

9. davislane1

Gain traction? Show me proof of that.

Note: When I use the term 'fake news' I am referring specifically to hoaxing media outlets like CNN and NBC, not clickbait websites.

Edit: problem highlighted here

Modern media are despicable, hoaxing deceivers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  10. Ean Mogg

Ean Mogg TS Enthusiast Posts: 25   +8

Price increases ..sales fall ...simple ....they still cost the same to make ....drop prices for sales to boom ...simple

11. namesrejected

namesrejected TS Maniac Posts: 229   +136

Different currencies have different values.

tgr8db likes this.
  12. BSim500

BSim500 TS Guru Posts: 284   +438

I think most Brit's have figured out whilst there's been some "Brexit" impact, a lot of it is plain old fashioned "Rip Off Britain" price gouging. That's why £1 = $1 even at 1:1.3-1.5 exchange rates long before Brexit took place (well over and above the 20% VAT differential). When £1 = $2 back in 2007 and when VAT was 17.5%, were imported goods 58% of that of the USA's? Hell no. 65-75% were typical. And I'm not even going to go into house prices per square metre or how much petrol pump prices "fall" when oil prices tank from $100 to $30 vs how fast they rise going from $30 to $100...

13. Makson

Makson TS Booster Posts: 115   +26

Thanks to Brexit the majority of Brits are pleased to be out of the UN un-elected Mafia dictatorship den of thieves. I know for a fact that the cost of a Microsoft Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4 is the least important thing in their daily lives.
    Many items' prices are LOWER since Brexit!