That one time when beer ads were inserted directly into Star Wars movies, and George Lucas...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Remember the bit in Star Wars when Obi-Wan Kenobi hands Luke a beer fresh from the fridge? How about the part in Return of the Jedi when Emperor Palpatine uses the Force to pull a can into his hand as the Skywalkers look on in awe? If you watched these movies on Chilean TV around 2003, the scenes might sound familiar.

Around 20 years ago the original Star Wars trilogy was first broadcast on television in Chile. But there was something distinctly different about these movies: they featured beer advertisements inserted directly into the films.

X/Twitter user Windy explains that to avoid cutting away from the movies for commercial breaks, the commercials were stitched into the scenes. The one from Star Wars in which Kenobi tells Luke "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" before removing a bottle of Cristal Beer from the fridge is particularly inspired.

Other scenes include Obi-Wan reaching for a cold one while he's supposed to be shutting off the Death Star's tractor beam, and, in Return of the Jedi, the Emperor using his force powers to get loaded. We also see Luke taking a break from training with Yoda during The Empire Strikes Back to open a can.

The Cerveza Cristal commercials first appeared in the original Star Wars during a December 2003 screening by Chilean broadcaster Channel 13. Gizmodo notes that the campaign won a top award in the media category at the 2004 Cannes International Advertising Festival.

One person who was certainly not happy about the campaign was George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars. He filed a grievance with the Chilean Council for Self-Regulation and Advertising Ethics in 2004, arguing that the changes suggested an official tie-in between the movies and Cerveza Cristal.

Lucas won the case, ensuring that the edited versions of the movies were never broadcast again. However, Channel 13 and Cerveza Cristal partnered on more campaigns later that year, inserting beer ads into American Beauty, Notting Hill, and Gladiator.

Permalink to story.

It's nice, but shouldn't have been inserted without George Lucas' permission. I think Lucas wouldn't have agreed to it anyway, since it does seem to portray SW supporting that particular brand. And this would pollute the Star Wars feel, and the damage cannot be undone.

🤣 The title of this article is funny. The slang meaning is that George Lucas was "drunk" over this??? 🤣

That's hilarious! I mean I don't blame Lucas for being pissed off. And I'd possibly be pissed off going to watch a movie only to find out scenes had been inserted like that. But watching them individually is hilarious!

Found the brit. USA pissed = mad/upset.
The joke is on you my friend. I'm a US citizen, and I still think its funny that TS would use what amounts to a British slang term for drunk - especially since at least one of these "commercials" was for beer. You know what is said about "assuming," Yes? :laughing:

Last edited:
Not much different from US politicians using "Born in the USA" or "Rocking in the free world" using their pro capitalism jingle to amp their party

US navy using "In the Navy" was a hoot
In the Navy you can suck your fellow ....

So let's keep on rocking in the free world

Back