The app industry now generates more revenue than Hollywood

Shawn Knight

Staff member

app store hollywood revenue developers entertainment app developers box office app sales

Apple turned in another banner year in 2014 in terms of both hardware and software sales. But it wasn’t just the Cupertino-based company that was bringing home the bacon as App Store developers collectively raked in more than $10 billion in revenue last year.

To put that into perspective, developers earned more than Hollywood did from box office sales in the US during 2014.

Of course, US box office sales don’t paint the entire picture for Hollywood revenues just as App Store developer payouts don't fully illustrate the app economy.

app store hollywood revenue developers entertainment app developers box office app sales

As Horace Dediu from industry analytics firm Asymco points out, to get an accurate representation of the App Store economy, one must take into consideration other factors including “Android and ads and service businesses and custom development.” All things considered, apps are still likely to be bigger than Hollywood.

Looking at the overall picture, the app industry is also likely healthier than Hollywood. On an individual basis, some app developers earn more than Hollywood stars. What’s more, the app economy sustained more jobs (627,000 iOS jobs in the US versus 374,000 in Hollywood), is easier to enter and has a wider reach.

It gets worse for Hollywood when you look at the rate of growth of the App Store over the past several years. There doesn’t appear to be a slowdown in sight when you consider New Year's Day 2015 marked the single biggest day ever in App Store sales history. Furthermore, consumers spent nearly half a billion dollars on apps and in-app purchases during the first week of January.

Permalink to story.

I find it hard to believe considering I've never paid a cent for any app that I've ever used and I know very few people who have actually coughed up for something.

I'm with mr skidmarks on this, as I too have never spent a single penny on an app.

I find it hard to believe considering I've never paid a cent for any app that I've ever used and I know very few people who have actually coughed up for something.

Perhaps your circle of friends is cheap? I know a ton of people who've bought apps. Especially parents. Even free games have their in app purchases that parents may potentially buy into as a reward/treat.

Perhaps your circle of friends is cheap? I know a ton of people who've bought apps. Especially parents. Even free games have their in app purchases that parents may potentially buy into as a reward/treat.
Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

Back