The Basslet is a watch-sized wearable subwoofer for your body

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the great things about headphones is that they allow you to experience music at enjoyable volumes without disrupting those around you. While there are plenty of great options out there that do a respectable job of delivering tunes, there’s still something missing when you remove large speakers from the equation.

I’m of course talking about bass, an integral part of many musical genres. I’m not saying that headphones don’t deliver bass – they do, but you don’t get to feel the music the way you do when a large woofer is involved.

That’s the inspiration behind the Basslet, a watch-sized wearable subwoofer for your body that promises to deliver the beats and basslines directly to the user. Inside the wearable is a LoSound haptic engine that recreates bass frequencies from 10 to 250Hz as well as a battery.

To use it, simply connect the sender (dongle) to the audio device of your choice – smartphone, desktop, laptop or even a VR headset – and then plug your headphones into the sender. It’s totally plug-and-play with no software to fool with. The battery is said to offer up to six hours of listening at max volume and can be recharged in less than an hour.

The concept sounds a bit “out there” but it’s already generating loads of attention – and money – on Kickstarter. A pledge of €99 (around $112 USD) "guarantees" you’ll get a Basslet come December, assuming of course that everything goes according to plan. The campaign has already amassed just over $56,000 as of writing and by the time you read this, it’ll have no doubt blown past its $56,785 goal with more than a month to go.

Permalink to story.

And when you take it off, you will be like this...

giphy.gif

If the phantom vibration syndrome wasn't bad enough...

How much bass can you really feel from something so small and on an extremity, bass is felt in your chest not your wrist. Better idea for such a device, a belt that goes around the waist which could house more batteries and deliver a better sensation, and it could be called "The Spinal Tap" But I'm sure that's somewhat trademarked...

How much bass can you really feel from something so small and on an extremity, bass is felt in your chest not your wrist. Better idea for such a device, a belt that goes around the waist which could house more batteries and deliver a better sensation, and it could be called "The Spinal Tap" But I'm sure that's somewhat trademarked...
The thing is, you cannot get much bass from a driver that small. This is yet another marketing ploy that will only attract those who do not do their research.

That gadget would be complete if it came with mirror balls to hang from your specs along with a strobe and coloured lights.
What a waste of money but maybe one or two would buy it.

Back