The Beatles: 50th anniversary of first hit

bobcat

It is 50 years since The Beatles had their first hit record with their single Love Me Do.

The Beatles went into Abbey Road studios to record the single in September 1962. Love Me Do was released on 5 October, 1962 and went to number 17 in the charts. It was a moment that changed music history and popular culture forever.

Though they split in 1970, they became perhaps the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed act in the history of popular music.

The band's best-known lineup consisted of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr. Lennon was murdered in 1980 and Harrison died of cancer in 2001. McCartney and Starr remain active.

The Beatles are the best-selling band in history, with EMI Records estimating sales of over one billion units. They have had more number-one albums on the British charts and sold more singles in the UK than any other act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles

The Fab Four
the%20beatles%20autographs.jpg

Yes, I remember when George Harrison was Killed. I was just 20 then, Just got to work that morning when I heard the news, It kinda threw me. I grew up listening to there music. Still do every once in a while.

Fifty years and their records sound as fresh and as relevant today as they did during the few short years they were together.

I watched "Let It Be" again about a week ago. I was amazed to learn that not a single Beatle knew how to read sheet music. And yet to this day no one makes better songs than they did.

Bit of trivia. If you're a fan, then you must be familiar with the mind-blowing guitar riffs in the song, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Eric Clapton was invited to sit in for that session at Abbey Road Studios. That's him playing those heavy blues licks.

It is 50 years since The Beatles had their first hit record with their single Love Me Do.

The Beatles went into Abbey Road studios to record the single in September 1962. Love Me Do was released on 5 October, 1962... <snip>
Coincidentally, October 5, 1962 marks the 50th anniversary debut of two major British megahits: both James Bond and the Beatles. The first James Bond movie Dr. No was also released on that same date, Oct 5, 1962!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._No_(film

Well, I didn't know it, but I'm not surprised that none of the Beatles could read sheet music. I doubt any of the Rolling Stones or most major hit makers can. It doesn't seem to be relevant to writing and executing great light music. It may be different for so-called serious music, but only professional musicians listen to that.

Listening to old hits today never fails to convince me that they don't write music like that any more, and for quite some time now. Lucky are those whose youth coincided with the golden era of popular music, the 50s, 60s and 70s.

And yes, it is also the 50th anniversary of the first James Bond movie. Worth starting another thread on that.

I believe that the Beatles contributed a lot to pop culture. My mom was a big fan of the Beatles, and I'm just too young lol. Sadly, I find that a lot of modern music contains pointless lyrics and little or no musicality.

Back