The Best Computer Cases

Strange that I find the cheap cases more attractive. Seems it should be the other way around.
You're not alone. Obviously design appeal is entirely subjective, but it sounds to me that if you dont use 3ft long radiators or aren't 12 years old and unhealthily obsessed with RGB, then most of these are comically overpriced artsy stuff trying too hard to stand out in all the wrong areas. $200 case conclusion = "thermals aren’t the best" - maybe that's because they got rid of the side air intakes that sit right over the CPU due to "priddy shiny glass side panel"? Best Mini-ITX = "as big as budget Micro-ATX but 3x the price!". Where are the actual Small Form Factor cases (which were the whole point of inventing M-ITX vs M-ATX in the first place)? Is there really nothing new between those tiny Chopin cases that people were doing Raven Ridge APU builds with a while back vs NZXT's "life-size refrigerators for your desk!"

And what's with the trend of half the M-ATX cases putting ports awkwardly on one side down the bottom making them useless for standing on the floor under a desk out the way (or to your right anywhere) yet still too bulky to go on the desk? Surely I can't be the only one who remembers people openly weeping tears of joy when huge CRT monitors and beige Desktop AT cases were both replaced with TFT's + under-desk mini towers, so they could move their computer case out of the way and actually have more usable desk space for other stuff in the first place! :laughing:

A few days ago I bought the NZXT H500i and I must say I love this case, it's the best I've ever owned, it looks awesome in my desk and installing it was a joy, easy job to get a really clean looking PC.

A few days ago I bought the NZXT H500i and I must say I love this case, it's the best I've ever owned, it looks awesome in my desk and installing it was a joy, easy job to get a really clean looking PC.
I had the H500i for a bit and it is a really nice case for it's price. I landed on the H700 just because I needed the space for radiators.

Overall I think NZXT are doing some really nice cases at the moment for really fair prices.

About HTPCs:

"it’s not like you’re going to be playing Crysis 3 on it"

Uh, yes. It's called a gaming HTPC. :) Basically a console replacement.

"If you’d prefer a bigger case but still want HTPC looks, an alternative is the Grandia GD08"

Yes! Thank you. This is the case I am using now. If you run a full size video card, you have to toss out all the drive bays. My 980 GT barely fits - the dual power plugs are hard pressed against top of case. I'm using M.2 so I don't need any bays. I run all my blu-rays (rip them from another pc) and storage on a NAS.

What I would really like in a HTPC?

- silent (air flow, water cooling would be nice)
- smallest possible (drive bay not needed, maybe blu-ray player?)
- just big enough for a full size video card
- doesn't have to look like a HTPC audio component, just nice horizontal form
- black

I guess the 2 drawer filing cabinet I used once wouldn't ever make this list. It had great air flow and was inconspicuous as hell. Other than myself and a select few no one even knew it was there.
At the time it was used for ripping DVD's "creating digital copies of personally owned disks" while at work. ;)

Multitasking at it's best...

Looking for a super quiet cheap case. Any recommendations?
I don't know a specific case that meets your needs. But if you value quiet above all else, get solid case side panels (no windows), good airflow and possibly layers of sound-dampening foam. If you must have a tempered glass side panel (and they are gorgeous), find one with a good rubber seal.
Use large fans (140mm+) running at a low speed (4-pin PWM fan profiles). Or use watercooling. But remember that, even in a completely quiet water cooled case, the pump still makes noise. Also avoid any case that blows air into a solid panel as that creates noise.
After that, choose quiet components. No HDDs - go all SSDs. Choose the GPU based on the noise levels and cooling performance - some GPUs turn off the fans below 60C. Similarly some PSUs turn off their fans at low temps. Although I prefer to leave the fans on and use fan profiles to run them at lower speeds.
If you compromise airflow, the fans have to work harder and that generates noise.

About HTPCs:

"it’s not like you’re going to be playing Crysis 3 on it"

Uh, yes. It's called a gaming HTPC. :) Basically a console replacement.

"If you’d prefer a bigger case but still want HTPC looks, an alternative is the Grandia GD08"

Yes! Thank you. This is the case I am using now. If you run a full size video card, you have to toss out all the drive bays. My 980 GT barely fits - the dual power plugs are hard pressed against top of case. I'm using M.2 so I don't need any bays. I run all my blu-rays (rip them from another pc) and storage on a NAS.

What I would really like in a HTPC?

- silent (air flow, water cooling would be nice)
- smallest possible (drive bay not needed, maybe blu-ray player?)
- just big enough for a full size video card
- doesn't have to look like a HTPC audio component, just nice horizontal form
- black

If you're looking to get into SFF (Small Form Factor) HTPC's here's a great place to start https://smallformfactor.net/forum/

There's also a channel on You Tube called "Not From Concentrate", Jesse builds nothing but SFF PC's and also sells SFF chassis https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_hxpkQMkx2qKSArbXOHrw

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking to get into SFF (Small Form Factor) HTPC's here's a great place to start https://smallformfactor.net/forum/

There's also a channel on You Tube called "Not From Concentrate", Jesse builds nothing but SFF PC's and also sells SFF chassis https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_hxpkQMkx2qKSArbXOHrw

Hope this helps :)

Yes, basically a SFF but can accommodate a full size video card. Thank you, I will look into your links!! There was a case quite some time ago I saw an article about, but it wasn't just the case. It was a full build from a company and looked like a game console. Its air cooling was poor, but it worked.

Ok so they look good but how about the thermals ? Each category should have the best thermals allied to good value for the Money. Ive got a Master box 5 mesh front JUST cos of the thermals plus its roommy hehe

I have two Alienware Triad with liquid cooling on the CPU and GPU. I like the subtle LED lighting and I'm not a fan of all these new cases. My tower holds up to 8 Sata SSD which I use for games and 1 M.2 which I use for my OS. 3 GPU can be fit in it thanks to the 1500 Watt PSU, but right now I'm only running one RTX2080Ti.

How about Best Case Under $50 ?
FTMQIJFHDOW9Y7R.LARGE.jpg

Recently; Steve from Gamers nexus put out a video on their choices for best cases for 2018, and it's much more in depth than the selection here - including thermals, noise levels, aesthetics, etc. Just what every PC builder needs to know to make a rational decision.

I have the 900D and it’s ridiculous..... looks pretty darn impressive though... can’t imagine putting a system into the 1000D....

I personally would take one of EVGA's DG models and I wouldn't be spending ridiculous amounts of money on RGB components.

I love my Alienware Triad because the RGB is subtle, it holds up to 10 SSD and easily accompodates three GPU if necessary - though I only use one.

I'm not a fan of all these glass cases.

Back