The Best GPU for Every Price Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think it's a tough choice between the 4080 & 7900XTX.

The 4080 is more than good enough at raster, and far superior at RT.

I can't think of a single game that needs the extra raster performance of the 7900 but I can think of quite a few that need/demand the 4080s superior RT.

Of course, this is ignoring the scandalous pricing of the 4080, but that's a different topic entirely.

Seriously....? The 7800xt is the same price as the s l o w e r RTX4070. (Your own reviews show this ovr and ovr.)

Frames matter... & Steve is a complete d0lt <if> he thinks people are BUYING a GPU for cyberpunk... a single player game. Seriously, who upgrades their GPU to be competitive in a single player game..? Arcade games don't drive GPU sales.

Who is doing $100 challs in Cyberpunk..? Where is the Cyberpunk Tourney this weekend...?

Nobody in the world is UPGRADING their GPU for ray-tracing. In 30+ years of gaming and being a Guild leader and Clan leader, not ONE person in my org has EVER upgraded their video card, because of a single-player video game...!

You can laterally <pause> Cyberpunk...
You gain nothing in Cyberpunk if you have a RTX3070 or a RTX4080... because frames do not matter in that game, at all. They don't effect your ability to shoot, or to see an enemy, or to lead a shot...!

I wouldn't call the Nvidia Ngreedia RTX 4090 a huge success at 2000 GBP/USD. Who's buying the thing exactly?
A success for them, of course.

Of course, this is ignoring the scandalous pricing of the 4080, but that's a different topic entirely.
That's the tough choice right there. The price difference.

I can't think of a single game that needs the extra raster performance of the 7900 but I can think of quite a few that need/demand the 4080s superior RT.

RX 7900 XTX £850-900 or RTX 4080 £1200-1300. Tough decision.... /s

You can get them cheaper than that, closer to £1100
Well here is the thing about 7900xtx/4080/4090. Once you hit a certain price bracket the finances of your target market changes. Essentially, if you break $1000 for a graphics card the value of your dollar changes. The 7900xtx is mostly being sold to companies who want a cheaper alternative to nvidias h100. You can literally buy 30 of them for the cost of 1 H100. The AI people aren't interested in the the 7900xt because the little bit of extra in memory and bus width make a huge difference in those workloads. So the real battle ground is between the 4070 and 7900xt. The 4080s are sitting on shelves

The 7600 I've bought a couple of times for £240 here in the UK, same price as the 6650XT essentially while being slightly better.

I've been recommending it at that price and everyone who's pulled the trigger on it have been very happy. I've been pretty impressed with it to be honest, great little card for the money.

It is a shame new AMD graphics for upcoming CPUs are still not here.
Absolutely smallest PC that would still be usable for both work and gaming, compact, quiet.

Seriously....? The 7800xt is the same price as the s l o w e r RTX4070. (Your own reviews show this ovr and ovr.)

Frames matter... & Steve is a complete d0lt <if> he thinks people are BUYING a GPU for cyberpunk... a single player game. Seriously, who upgrades their GPU to be competitive in a single player game..? Arcade games don't drive GPU sales.

Who is doing $100 challs in Cyberpunk..? Where is the Cyberpunk Tourney this weekend...?

Nobody in the world is UPGRADING their GPU for ray-tracing. In 30+ years of gaming and being a Guild leader and Clan leader, not ONE person in my org has EVER upgraded their video card, because of a single-player video game...!

You can laterally <pause> Cyberpunk...
You gain nothing in Cyberpunk if you have a RTX3070 or a RTX4080... because frames do not matter in that game, at all. They don't effect your ability to shoot, or to see an enemy, or to lead a shot...!
Dude. Just because YOU wouldn't do these things doesn't mean nobody would. I upgraded from a 1080Ti to the 4090 because I wanted to play Cyberpunk and other singleplayer games, with the best RT possible.

Some people might have other priorities when it comes to gaming, and it would be wise to keep that in mind.

Dude. Just because YOU wouldn't do these things doesn't mean nobody would. I upgraded from a 1080Ti to the 4090 because I wanted to play Cyberpunk and other singleplayer games, with the best RT possible.

Some people might have other priorities when it comes to gaming, and it would be wise to keep that in mind.

You outed yourself & didn't upgrade, you skipped 3 generation and bought another halo card... to just experience what it is like to have a MODERN card. And good for you in spending $1,700 to get 67 frames in Cyberpunk, I hope you get on the leaderboard some day....

I've went through 3 GPUs since my 1080ti...

You outed yourself & didn't upgrade, you skipped 3 generation and bought another halo card... to just experience what it is like to have a MODERN card. And good for you in spending $1,700 to get 67 frames in Cyberpunk, I hope you get on the leaderboard some day....

Again, just because that's how you do it doesn't mean everyone does.
I went from the 8800 Gtx to the gtx 970 and just upgraded to the rtx 4070 ti over the last 15 years. I don't play multi-player games, single player is a legitimate strategy.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-triple-fan-16gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card

AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT - $549.99

Bought this a year ago for $770 and zero regrets. Playing everything in 4K just fine (Cyberpunk included).

6950XT v 7800XT v 4070
Cyberpunk
1080p - 136 v 122 v 111
1440p - 88 v 80 v 68
4k - 43 v 41 v 31

"At a similar price point, we believe the GeForce RTX 4070 is the better deal. It offers improved ray tracing performance and support for DLSS."

Let's check this ray tracing performance.
4k - 13fps - Looks like not for those with 4k monitors.
1440p - 32fps - Not for 1440p monitors either.
1080p - 51fps - Maybe at 1080p but who has 1080p setup and cares about picture quality?

Ray tracing selling point doesn't seem relevant at this performance level. Previous gen hardware still seems like a better deal.

Leaderboards aren't a goal (or even thought) for many of us. And a 4090 is a massive upgrade over a 1080ti, whether there were other upgrades in-between or not. That statement doesn't make sense.

High-end cards aren't just for competitive gaming. Some of us play campaigns and want powerful GPUs for the eye candy, and high refresh rates for reduced blur and input lag.

I have a 175Hz QD-OLED and with ultra settings and True HDR, it looks amazing. But it takes a lot of horsepower and I can't always reach the full 175fps. I have a 3080 12GB, not a 4090. But if the 4090 had been available when I did my build it would have been a serious contender at normal retail before things went nuts.

The 5xxx series will be out soon so we'll see what that offers.

Leaderboards aren't a goal (or even thought) for many of us. And a 4090 is a massive upgrade over a 1080ti, whether there were other upgrades in-between or not. That statement doesn't make sense.

High-end cards aren't just for competitive gaming. Some of us play campaigns and want powerful GPUs for the eye candy, and high refresh rates for reduced blur and input lag.

I have a 175Hz QD-OLED and with ultra settings and True HDR, it looks amazing. But it takes a lot of horsepower and I can't always reach the full 175fps. I have a 3080 12GB, not a 4090. But if the 4090 had been available when I did my build it would have been a serious contender at normal retail before things went nuts.

The 5xxx series will be out soon so we'll see what that offers.

You are conflating and confusing what I am saying.

Nobody said anything about high-end cards. I am talking about frames per second, FPS. Nobody on the planet (except a select few cuda *****s) buy a GPU for less frames. Those people don't have clans, or game with others... and are not what drives GPU sales. They are few.

Hilarious that people here think Cyberpunk drives GPU sales when the Xbox can play Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing... meanwhile COD Warzone can be played on a Xbox, but little kids are saving up for a GPU and a PC because they want more frames to compete.
0.o..

Logic says, why spend $1,700 to get 26 less FRAMES in Cyberpunk (w/RT), because 93 frames wasn't good enough (with the old card wo/RT)... knowing $1,700 is not needed for ray tracing & One could just run cyberpunk with FSR On and get thee exact same effect with ray tracing for free.

Gimmicks do not sell GPUs, that is why nVidia is coming out with a bunch of remarketed cards soon... to compete on price/performance.

You are conflating and confusing what I am saying.

Nobody said anything about high-end cards. I am talking about frames per second, FPS. Nobody on the planet (except a select few cuda *****s) buy a GPU for less frames. Those people don't have clans, or game with others... and are not what drives GPU sales. They are few.

Hilarious that people here think Cyberpunk drives GPU sales when the Xbox can play Cyberpunk with Ray Tracing... meanwhile COD Warzone can be played on a Xbox, but little kids are saving up for a GPU and a PC because they want more frames to compete.
0.o..

Logic says, why spend $1,700 to get 26 less FRAMES in Cyberpunk (w/RT), because 93 frames wasn't good enough (with the old card wo/RT)... knowing $1,700 is not needed for ray tracing & One could just run cyberpunk with FSR On and get thee exact same effect with ray tracing for free.

Gimmicks do not sell GPUs, that is why nVidia is coming out with a bunch of remarketed cards soon... to compete on price/performance.
I responded to your post with no conflation or confusion. I used your exact words, verbatim. Here's a recap:

Mrlolba: "I upgraded from a 1080Ti to the 4090"
You: "You outed yourself & didn't upgrade"
Me: "A 4090 is a massive upgrade over a 1080ti, whether there were other upgrades in-between or not."

Next

Mrlolba: "I upgraded from a 1080Ti to the 4090 because I wanted to play Cyberpunk and other singleplayer games"
You: "I hope you get on the leaderboard some day...."
Me: "Leaderboards aren't a goal (or even thought) for many of us"

Bottom line: You can't backtrack on what you post, and a 4090 is the ultimate performance choice (price aside) even for solo gamers. Most criticisms about 4090 owners seem deeply rooted in jealousy.

Last edited:
I responded to your post with no conflation or confusion. I used your exact words, verbatim. Here's a recap:

Mrlolba: "I upgraded from a 1080Ti to the 4090"
You: "You outed yourself & didn't upgrade"
Me: "A 4090 is a massive upgrade over a 1080ti, whether there were other upgrades in-between or not."

Next

Mrlolba: "I upgraded from a 1080Ti to the 4090 because I wanted to play Cyberpunk and other singleplayer games"
You: "I hope you get on the leaderboard some day...."
Me: "Leaderboards aren't a goal (or even thought) for many of us"

Bottom line: You can't backtrack on what you post, and a 4090 is the ultimate performance choice (price aside) even for solo gamers. Most criticisms about 4090 owners seem deeply rooted in jealousy.

My rebuttal wasn't about TOP performance, it was about frames and price/performance metric.

And SECONDLY (different point)..... that nobody buys a new GPU for less frames..! Like people here are claiming they are doing with their 4090. Claiming that dropping $1,700 on less RT frames is normal, when most people (nearly 99% of them) buy a GPU for more frames.

once again...
Logic dictates, if you buy a $1,700 RTX card you are NOT buying it for gaming, but because you want to ego-flex. I have enough disposable income to afford to buy a new RTX 4090 every month, but would never choose to do so, because I don't need cuda and the 4090 doesn't push the frames my 11 month old XTX does in Warzone.

Essentially, YOU are saying they paid and added $750 for Ray tracing... and to play with lower frames... <-- a concept that is illogical to most people and quite laughable. (specially to play Cyberjunk alone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back