1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boring Company drops plans to develop Westside LA tunnel following environmental lawsuit

By Polycount ยท 10 replies
Nov 28, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Elon Musk is certainly a man with some interesting ideas, but not all his plans proceed uninhibited. That was made clear today, as Musk's Boring Company has officially canceled its plans to develop a high-speed track underneath Los Angeles' Westside region.

This decision is a result of a legal battle between The Boring Company and two Westside community-interest groups. The groups filed a suit against the company, alleging that the planned tunnel shouldn't have been exempted from an in-depth environmental impact review.

Rather than fight the suit to the bitter end, Musk and co. decided to "amicably" settle it, though the exact terms of the agreement are unknown due to the confidential nature of the talks.

The Boring Company isn't completely out of luck, though. Los Angeles Times reports that Musk's company will shift its focus to another planned tunnel which is a mere 3.5 miles away. Said tunnel will stretch between Dodger Stadium and Metro station.

It's unclear whether or not Musk will return to LA's Westside for future Boring Company plans, but for now, the company has plenty of other projects in the works. The company's first finished tunnel, for example, is set to launch for the public on December 10 - it will stretch from SpaceX's Hawthorne headquarters to an LA suburb.

Permalink to story.

2. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 724   +342

Just curious, what environmental dangers, besides hitting underground water streams, does this tunnel pose?

Reehahs, Clamyboy74 and EClyde like this.
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,913   +698

The snooty rich A holes of LA's Westside simply didn't like the idea of having a tunnel dug under them and found a way to get it halted. Is anyone really surprised?

Reehahs and xxLCxx like this.
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 14,696   +3,848

I would be more concerned about Musk rooting around under the skyscrapers in downtown LA. Those big building foundations go down several stories.

I would think planning infrastructure is the city's job, since it has to be connected with street level, or/and underground access points. I expect Musk thinks his idea is great, and it doesn't need scrutiny, or zoning permits, or intervention by government. (Unless of course, they're giving him a tax break, then he's all ears).

Besides, with Musk you have to wonder if he petitioned for right of way under those people's houses, or did he assume it would be bestowed on him gratis.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    xxLCxx likes this.
  5. captaincranky

Easy to condescend when you don't live there. Suppose Musk decided to run a tunnel under your home? Are you buying or renting?

Clamyboy74 likes this.
  6. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,823   +2,078

What water? This is California

Reehahs and xxLCxx like this.
  7. captaincranky

Maybe those people are afraid Musk's groupies will show up at the grand opening with their flamethrowers, ready to party hearty...:eek:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  8. yRaz

yRaz Nigerian Prince Posts: 2,823   +2,078

But flamethrowers are also illegal in California!

9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,877

If anything more burns in California, keeping those flame throwers torches illegal would be pointless.

Ravey likes this.
  10. captaincranky

The only tangible difference between California and Sodom & Gomorrah these days is, if you look back when you're leaving, you turn to charcoal instead of stone! :eek:

cliffordcooley and Reehahs like this.
  11. ChrisH1

ChrisH1 TS Addict Posts: 132   +67

Depends how far down. If 10 metres, sure, I'd have a problem if no-one asked me. If 250 metres, wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...