The cyberpunky Dyson Zone air-purifying headphones arrive in March for $949

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Remember the cyberpunk-style noise-canceling headphones that double as an air-purifying device Dyson unveiled earlier this year? The company has now confirmed more details about the Dyson Zone, including a starting price that might take your breath away: $949.

The Dyson Zone air-purifying headphones make Razer's Zephyr facemask look positively understated, but then the former also features integrated noise-canceling headphones. We now know that it will arrive in the US this coming March and start at $949.

Dyson says the headphones' 2,600mAh battery offers up to 50 hours of ultra-low distortion audio, advanced noise cancellation, and faithful, full-spectrum audio reproduction on a single charge. It also provides 38 decibels of noise cancellation, features 40-millimeter neodymium drivers, and can reproduce frequencies from 6Hz-21kHz. Moreover, the Dyson Zone will support SBC, AAC, and LHDC audio codecs and Bluetooth 5.0 at launch.

The other aspect of the headphones is the air purifier, which can capture 99% of particle pollution as small as 0.1 microns, much larger than viruses such as the coronavirus—the Zone is designed mainly to protect from city pollutants. The dual-layer carbon filters, which are enriched with potassium to target acidic gasses like nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and ozone, will last around 12 months before needing to be replaced.

The Dyson Zone has three purification levels. When combined with audio listening, each one significantly impacts battery life: the Low setting drops it to four hours, Mid offers 2.5 hours, and High offers just 1.5 hours. Dyson says it takes three hours to charge the headphones from zero to 100% using USB-C.

Dyson previously said the Zone had been in development for six years rather than being created in response to the pandemic, as was the case with some other air-purifying masks—even though they don't actually protect from the virus.

The Dyson Zone will be available in Ultra Blue/Prussian Blue this March. There's also a Prussian Blue/Bright Copper version only available directly from the company that comes with a second electrostatic carbon filter, a soft pouch, and an inflight adaptor kit.

Permalink to story.

Looks ridiculous now, but wouldn't surprise me as we go into an increasingly polluted world that products like this get developed and may even become successful.

Looks ridiculous now, but wouldn't surprise me as we go into an increasingly polluted world that products like this get developed and may even become successful.
You apparently were not around in the 70s, when the air was much, much worse than today. Air quality has improved in the West over the last 50 years.

I guess they didn't learn anything from the Razer mask: it started as an "anti-Covid" mask and ended up as an air purifier. There's little to no market for this kind of product, especially at those ridiculously inflated prices (and even more ridiculous looks).

I think this product looks utterly bizarre, and it quite literally has my name on it.
If they gave me one free, I'd use it - sure. Because I think the idea of headphones/mask with my own name on it is amusing. Would I spend that much on it? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

You apparently were not around in the 70s, when the air was much, much worse than today. Air quality has improved in the West over the last 50 years.
You've never been to New Delhi then have you. This works wonderfully in that environment due to the pollution levels from all the vehicles. Even Bejing can benefit as they're adding more coal power to keep their lights on. Just look back at the photos and such from the Bejin Olympics. Talk about poor air - so bad some atheletes decided to not compete due to it.

Dyson has a good name and reputation, but I can't help thinking this is gimmicky high-priced garbage, much like a lot of what Apple makes..

Well, I've made up my mind. I'm going to buy four (4) of these.!

1: For my home in the Hamptons.
2: One for the limo
3: One for the yacht
$; And finally, one for my summer home in Palm Beach

I was actually picturing a product like this in polluted parts of China etc. I was not around in the 70s though, but I could have researched air quality over time (regardless of whether or not I was alive), I have to put my hands up and admit I didn't.

I definitely don't wanna breath the same air as most people, but this is unquestionably a wearable meme.

Back