The EU votes to address loot boxes, gold farming, and gaming addiction

midian182

Staff member
In brief: For all the joy video games bring people, there are plenty of negatives associated with the medium, including loot boxes, gold farming, and addiction. The EU has just voted to take action against these and other issues, though exactly what this will entail remains unclear.

As per Gamesindustry.biz, the European Parliament voted to adopt a report that "highlights the positives of this pioneering industry, but also social risks we need to bear in mind, like the impact of gaming on mental health," said MEP Adriana Maldonado López, who led the report.

One of these risks is loot boxes, which have long been a controversial area. The EU commission will analyze the impact of loot boxes and prompts to make in-game purchases, taking action if necessary.

A Norwegian consumer watchdog report last year concluded that loot-box mechanics in games are predatory and exploit consumers. The report prompted consumer watchdogs in 18 other countries to call for stricter regulation of games featuring loot boxes.

The EU Commission will investigate whether gold farming can be linked to financial crimes and human rights abuses. The report also calls for the adoption of regulatory measures on games that allow players to create their own content to protect users, especially minors, from illegal practices. Moreover, it wants an end to illegal practices allowing anyone to exchange, sell or bet on in-game and third-party sites (for skin betting).

Much of the report focuses on the Pan European Game Information (PEGI) age rating system, essentially the EU version of the ESRB rating system. The MEPs want it to become the mandatory age-rating system for all games in the single market. It also wants to introduce standard labels for information such as a game's theme, in-game purchasing options, and the presence of pop-up advertising.

Not all of the report is focused on gaming's worst elements. It asks for the creation of a European Video Game Strategy to boost the industry and "help unlock its full potential." And it proposes the creation of a new annual European online video game award and recognizes how games can help with education, mental health, and other aspects of life.

These are all just recommendations, of course. We'll have to wait and see when, how, and if any are implemented.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't mind Loot Boxes disappearing for sure. It is gambling and should be regulated as such.
It wouldn't even be difficult for these companies change strategy to something like, you have to buy virtual coins and then you can spend those coins in a shop, which then sells skins and what not.

By forcing people to gamble on Loot Boxes is a step too far in my opinion and I hope they get regulated to death.

Now replace "people" with "children" and "loot boxes" with "gambling". You should notice the obvious problem with your comment
Ah ... it's all to save the children! The cry of charlatans everywhere.

A few problems with such a naive analysis. First, if you read the proposals, you'll see they clearly don't simply target children, but all consumers. Secondly, the "loot box" mechanism has been used on children since time immemorial. The toy in a Kinder candy egg, McDonald's Happy-Meal "Monopoly", even a 1940s-era Cracker-Jack box. Purchase the product and get a random item: some valued, some not so much. If you don't wish your children to play such games-- don't allow them to. End of problem.
By forcing people to gamble on Loot Boxes is a step too far in my opinion
You were forced at gunpoint to purchase a loot box? Did Epic send a whole crew of armed henchmen to your home, or just one?

You were forced at gunpoint to purchase a loot box? Did Epic send a whole crew of armed henchmen to your home, or just one?
Not at all, however, it is annoying and it does fit the definition of gambling. It's akin to a slot machine, pull the lever, you might win something you want completely randomly.

If gambling websites have to be regulated, so should loot boxes in video games.

On a personal level, it would be nice to play a game that offers different skins and I can actually just get hold of the single skin I want and not be subject to "surprise mechanics" luck.

Note at no point have I said I wouldn't pay for it, happily pay for a new skin in a video game, but why do I have to buy 30 loot boxes and pray I get the one I want? Why do I have to be subjected to a gambling game even though I'm fully prepared to pay?

Not at all, however, it is annoying...
Ah, you want a law to prevent you from being annoyed. Got it.

If gambling websites have to be regulated, so should loot boxes in video games.
Under the well-known moral doctrine of "two wrongs make a right"?

Why do I have to be subjected to a gambling game even though I'm fully prepared to pay?
You're not. Just don't play such games. Trust me-- it IS possible. And guess what the best part is? If you and all your friends exercise that degree of self-control, these games will self-regulate themselves out of existence. No new laws required. The fact that they're not doing so, however, is nothing but the purest form of democracy in action: people voting with their wallets.

Last edited:
You're not. Just don't play such games. Trust me-- it IS possible. And guess what the best part is? If you and all your friends exercise that degree of self-control, these games will self-regulate themselves out of existence. No new laws required. The fact that they're not doing so, however, is nothing but the purest form of democracy in action: people voting with their wallets.
It's well known that most people don't buy loot boxes and other things used for monetization in games. But it still is heavily present in games, because they don't need for everyone or most to buy it, the term "Whales" is a thing for a reason.
"Voting with your wallet" doesn't work, because even if 95% of the players "vote with their wallet" against something by not buying anything, all it takes is for 4% of the players to put hundreds of dollars each and 1% to put thousands, and now the publisher is profiting heavily of something only a minority is okay with.

Good stuff. Sounds like someone's about to get hit hard in the wallet due to no longer being able to exploit people. They brought it on themselves really. Their insatiable greed is what prompted this action, so f-em!

Just another EU power and money grab once again. They are pros at creating laws and then going after companies to extort money. They have done this successfully to every major American company.

How about we use something called, I know it's a foreign concept to some, PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY? If you don't like loot boxes or any other aspect of a game don't play it. WHY do some people feel a need to have governments tell them what they can and cannot do? It is 100% restriction of our freedoms and free markets when government gets involved. Once you give them an inch, they will take a mile and make more laws and restrictions. BIG GOVERNMENT IS BAD FOR ALL PEOPLE!

Last edited:
Flagrent gaslighting! Licence to carry out unscrupulous business activities and/or exploit children is not what freedom has ever been about.

And it's PARENTS responsibility to monitor their children and decide what they want for them - NOT government. This is taking away freedom, that's what governments worldwide love to do! WAKE UP (and learn to spell)!

I like how everyone started arguing about gambling and children. I don't care why loot boxes are a problem but they ruin videogames. You have entire games, particularly in the mobile space, designed around getting people to buy loot boxes. You even have games like Diablo Immortal that actively find work arounds so you aren't actually buying loot boxes.

Loot boxes are a plague on gaming and they need to go. I don't care why, they need to go. They contribute absolutely nothing to gameplay and therefore have no place in games.

Well.....either the EU is on track to do something about the horrible loot box, or rising prices have parliament members looking for some under the table lobbying spending cash.

Yeah, that whole "freedom" thing needs to stop. People wishing to buy loot boxes in game should NOT be allowed to perform such heinous atrocities.
How about, and this is just a wild thought, right? No company should be allowed to sell you unknown items for money and try to convince me as if it is some sort of fun way to get new stuff for the game you play.

How about and again I might be stepping outside the box here. You give them money and they give you THE item you want without any bullshit in between. That way. ME the CUSTOMER knows what I am paying for and the COMPANY selling the item doesn't get a chance to "randomly" give me garbage I never wanted in the first place.

Seem like such a novel idea to be buying things you want without any "surprise mechanic" in between. Because this "surprise mechanic" only serves one side of the deal and it ain't a customer. So strange to see people aka the customers themselves support this type of business. It's like... It's against your own interests... You must be EA.

Imagine all them cronies oh no what new loopholes can we find to exploit children and gamers. Anyone else disappointed with Darktide game? This might not be the silver bullet that some are hoping for. Often times these overreach interventions have a tendency to effect innovation and cronies will still find them loopholes.

Ah ... it's all to save the children! The cry of charlatans everywhere.

A few problems with such a naive analysis. First, if you read the proposals, you'll see they clearly don't simply target children, but all consumers. Secondly, the "loot box" mechanism has been used on children since time immemorial. The toy in a Kinder candy egg, McDonald's Happy-Meal "Monopoly", even a 1940s-era Cracker-Jack box. Purchase the product and get a random item: some valued, some not so much. If you don't wish your children to play such games-- don't allow them to. End of problem.

Yes, it's obviously about the children. If only adult games had them then it would not be such a huge issue. But when a child has access to gambling in every single game now, the industry needs to be forced to change with proper legislation.

If you can't agree with this then you need to touch grass. Maybe talk to someone who actually has kids. You are obviously in the wrong here.

FYI: yes, you are sometimes forced to pay for lootboxes because of deceiving practices. Epic recently received a 520 mil fine because of this kind of tomfoolery (but it seems you forgot). These "illegal dark patterns" (as they are called) are running wild right now. It's incredibly easy to have your credit card charged without you even noticing or wanting.

Last edited:
How about, and this is just a wild thought, right? No company should be allowed [to] convince me as if it is some sort of fun way to get new stuff for the game you play.
Because you're not mature enough to make that decision on your own? I have a better idea. How about "No company should be allowed to convince you to play videogames, period."? Think of the increase in global GDP if you gamers instead spent that time productively. By your own admission, you're not able to make rational decisions in this area, so the government should decide for you. Nanny state utopia!

So strange to see people aka the customers themselves support this type of business. It's like... It's against your own interests... You must be EA.
Do you see bogeymen everywhere? I'm just someone alternating between bemusement and disgust at the self-entitlement mentality of videogamers demanding government action to ensure they don't "get pwned" in Counterstrike by someone who bought a loot box. Why worry about world peace when there are serious issues like this facing us!

FYI: yes, you are sometimes forced to pay for lootboxes because of deceiving practices. Epic recently received a 520 mil fine because of this
Different issue entirely. I have no problem whatsoever with that fine. But note: such situations as that are already well covered by current legislation.

I'm not sure I'm against games that are mostly subsidized by whales - if the 4% are getting different pixels in exchange for sponsoring the game for the 96% of everybody else, maybe that's a pretty good deal for people who otherwise couldn't afford a lot of games.

The description of EU's overall approach seems too broad to me, I do not want a government committee deciding something so broad and vague as how videogames should be made. I am fine with specific rules that keep a market fair, such as being required to accurately describe all costs associated with a game, all odds for gambling, all content types that may be of realistic concern to parents, etc.

The stickiest point to me especially when it comes to young children is understanding where various marketing techniques are sophisticated enough to essentially overcome free choice. I think we all agree that if a new technology were developed that could reliably hypnotize 100% of adults who saw an ad to immediately follow the ad's instructions including against the self-interest of the viewer, that technology would need to be illegal. My question is how close some of the techniques used in these games come to that example and therefore how strictly they need to be regulated.

Although I kind of like the old school rule that's been around forever - contracts with minors are unenforceable in most jurisdictions - parents should be able to force refunds (within a reasonable window) of money spent by children and that alone should offer some moderation. (The publisher will of course ban the account in response which is fine too.)

I'm not sure I'm against games that are mostly subsidized by whales - if the 4% are getting different pixels in exchange for sponsoring the game for the 96% of everybody else, maybe that's a pretty good deal for people who otherwise couldn't afford a lot of games.
The problem comes from developers that aren't making games, they are making a way to sell loot boxes. We have a plague in the industry where games are built from the ground up around the idea that the developer is going to sell you loot boxes.

Back