The first 25 minutes of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will feature a de-aged Harrison...

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny's arrival on June 30 will mark the final time Harrison Ford dons the iconic brown fedora and bomber jacket. But for the first 25 minutes of the movie, 79-year-old Ford will be de-aged to his 35-year-old self, thanks to new visual effects software from Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).

Those who have seen the trailer for the fifth Indiana Jones entry will know that Ford is the latest actor to be digitally de-aged for parts of a role. Director James Mangold told Total Film that this isn't a brief flashback to the character's youth; a younger Indy has 25 minutes of screen time in the new movie.

Speaking about the scene in the trailer where a bag is pulled off Jones' head to reveal a younger Ford, Mangold said, "I just shot him, and he just pretended that he was 35," though Ford's face was covered in dots to help the system. The effect was aided by the "incredibly gifted and agile" actor, who found it easy to pretend he was in his mid-30s again.

Digitally removing decades from Ford was accomplished using FRAN (face re-aging network), but it only works with real people when there are images available of the person in the same poses and lighting at a younger age. Thankfully for the makers, Lucasfilm had hundreds of hours of footage of Ford, including film that wasn't printed, showing him in different shots, lighting, and during the night and day.

Dial of Destiny starts in 1944, around eight years after Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is why the de-aging tech was required.

"It wasn't a year of effort to get to a first pass," Mangold said. "It was an incredible technology, and, in many ways, I just didn't think about it. I just focused on shooting what's [approximately] a 25-minute opening extravaganza that was my chance to just let it rip. The goal was to give the audience a full-bodied taste of what they missed so much. Because then when the movie lands in 1969, they're going to have to make an adjustment to what it is now, which is different from what it was."

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy also praised the de-aging tech. Speaking to Empire, she said, "My hope is that, although it will be talked about in terms of technology, you just watch it and go, 'Oh my God, they just found footage. This was a thing they shot 40 years ago."

Digitally de-aging actors has come a long way since it was first used to knock the years off Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen in X-Men: The Last Stand in 2006: Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Samuel L. Jackson in Captain Marvel, and Will Smith in Gemini Man are some notable examples. But Ford's youthifying could be the most convincing yet.

Permalink to story.

Thanks to neuralnets, hollywood can proudly declare the current gen of actors as the last gen - who the f* needs new ones if you can generate old ones with AI. Plus, canceling all payoffs and royalties in 25-50 years when all actors and their agents simply die of age or coke.

Now if only they could “de-hire” Kathleen “StarWarsKiller” Kennedy…
And demake the entire Disney StarWars universe... Ahh remember all the hope and promise Star Wars had when there was only six feature films?

Well, for me, it still is only six feature films actually. Anything with Disney in front of it is not actually Star Wars IMHO. It's like Rings of Power, it exists, but it's just non-fan fiction.

And demake the entire Disney StarWars universe... Ahh remember all the hope and promise Star Wars had when there was only six feature films?

Well, for me, it still is only six feature films actually. Anything with Disney in front of it is not actually Star Wars IMHO. It's like Rings of Power, it exists, but it's just non-fan fiction.

At least we have Andor

With more than 8 billion people in the world, we keep resorting to the same had full of actors again and again, can we try something new, instead of deep faking everything, can almost see where this is going 100 years from now we will have the same people in the movies and they wont even be around anymore.

With more than 8 billion people in the world, we keep resorting to the same had full of actors again and again, can we try something new, instead of deep faking everything, can almost see where this is going 100 years from now we will have the same people in the movies and they wont even be around anymore.
Hollywood is run by a bunch of elites and they don't let many into their circles. The only way this could ever happen is to support independent film making and be okay with the reduction in quality until a better industry can be built.

Hollywood is run by a bunch of elites and they don't let many into their circles. The only way this could ever happen is to support independent film making and be okay with the reduction in quality until a better industry can be built.

There would be no reduction in quality. In fact it would be much better stuff

I'm waiting for the dead actors that I liked to rise and make new feature films. More Stan and Ollie. Curly Howard lives

I actually like this idea. Bringing the 3 stooges back to life in the same slapstick manner they once existed but with fresh new content and higher resolutions. That would be very cool!

Stooges were funniest to me although Laurel and Hardy were good too.
EDIT: What's up with the double take of Deniro? He looks the same on both pictures. I guess the software just wasn't powerful enough to fix his face.

I'm waiting for the dead actors that I liked to rise and make new feature films. More Stan and Ollie. Curly Howard lives
You had me at Curly. 🤣

giphy.gif

I actually like this idea. Bringing the 3 stooges back to life in the same slapstick manner they once existed but with fresh new content and higher resolutions. That would be very cool!

Stooges were funniest to me although Laurel and Hardy were good too.
EDIT: What's up with the double take of Deniro? He looks the same on both pictures. I guess the software just wasn't powerful enough to fix his face.
Nothing is powerful enough to help DeNiro in any way. He did excellent work in some movies looooooong ago but now he is just a hater

Movie industry is so predictable that you can pretty much tell what the movie will be about after watching a trailer.
I watched it, made my mind, this movie like everything else from this company is not for me.
It's beyond just the predictability. They give away major plot points and surprises in modern trailers. They should be called "spoilers" instead of "trailers".

Imagine seeing Vader admit to Luke that he is his father in the trailer back in the 80s. It would have completely spoiled the movie.

They will likely do more than that, e.g., not just de-aging actors but just using their likeness (and pay them or their estate a license), and then make all sorts of movies, with even the sets moving from blue screen to virtual screens to fully computerized.

Meanwhile, audiences will become numb as the market becomes saturated, with producers encouraging them to spend just a few dollars more to watch a few more shows that, thanks to video platforms with lots of behind-the-scene footages, will eventually allow them to realize that they're only watching the same stories but reskinned, just like in video games.

Now if only they could “de-hire” Kathleen “StarWarsKiller” Kennedy…

Can we have someone repair the matrix after the first one, alien 3 onwards.

This tech is great for touch ups, making scenes from yesteryear look better, as it will get rid of those cameras focussing on a shelf with that one photo of the couples headshot photos that someone grabbed from their agents desk and smooshed together with photoshop, poorly.

But screwing people is the only reason hollywood want to be able to do it. The legislation needs to be sorted before it gets out of control

Once glance at the screen and I can tell immediately that this is going to be dreadful. Never mind what the plot and characterisation are going to be like - just what is it with the look of these films? They look so flat and artificially scrubbed.

Back