The first image from the new Star Wars series The Mandalorian is revealed

mongeese

Staff
Big quote: “After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic…”

The Mandalorian is primed to be a hit series. Expected to debut sometime time next year as Disney launches its streaming service, it will be bringing new stories about unknown characters from an unexplored time period – 3 years after The Last Jedi, when the New Republic is gaining strength and the galaxy is finally no longer at war. Jon Favreau, who posted the above image and quote to his Instagram, will be the executive director and is bringing a $10 million budget for each of the ten episodes in the first season.

The series has already reeled in some big names including Taika Waititi, who directed Thor: Ragnarok; Dave Filoni from Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels; and Favreau himself, who was an executive producer of the Avengers movies and Iron Man 1 & 2. He’s also promised that he’ll be integrating “ground-breaking” CGI technologies similar to the ones he used in The Jungle Book, which won an Academy Award for its visual effects.

Other directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope) and Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), according to StarWars.com. Assisting Favreau as producers are Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson and Karen Gilchrist. There’s not a whisper about casting yet despite the fact the show is expected to begin filming this week, but there has been a variety of other details quietly revealed.

For starters, we know that there won’t be any characters we’ve already met in the show. And considering how close it is to the destruction of the Empire, many fans are expecting to see outlaws (such as the character in the image) trying to fill that power vacuum. Images of a potential set were also leaked by MakingStarWars.net, showing what might be Tatooine. There are also reports of filming expected to take place in a coastal environment.

Hopefully, The Mandalorian will be more of a success than Solo: A Star Wars Story. After Solo made far less in the box office than Disney was predicting, rumors began flying that Star Wars spinoff movies were being cancelled, including the alleged Boba Fett movie. The character in the image is very similar looking to Boba Fett, so it's possible ideas from the movie were integrated.

Permalink to story.

A wild west kind of space show? Why does that sound familiar? Here's hoping it turns out as well this time, and actually gets to run its course. Someone get Whedon to do some writing!

The Star Wars story versus Disney. I'll let you guess which one is which...

o9GzTcs.jpg

If its exclusive to the Disney Streaming Service, I'll wait it out, it'll be like Game of Thrones, pirated like crazy because these companies don't understand the basics...

If its exclusive to the Disney Streaming Service, I'll wait it out, it'll be like Game of Thrones, pirated like crazy because these companies don't understand the basics...
Yeah, Game of Thrones was so unsuccessful..... you do realize that if something is pirated by millions, it’s most likely to be really good, right? HBO is laughing their way to the bank.... as I’m sure Disney will be....

So will this be filled with political agendas and irresponsible, twitter blabbing producers as well? Will viewers be able to freely consume, praise, and criticize it without being labeled racist incel nazi russian trolls? Will it have actual well developed characters, or yet more disney mary sue/gary stu abominations?

Yeah, Game of Thrones was so unsuccessful..... you do realize that if something is pirated by millions, it’s most likely to be really good, right? HBO is laughing their way to the bank.... as I’m sure Disney will be....
That's kinda what I was getting at, it sounded better in my head last night :p

Will viewers be able to freely consume, praise, and criticize it without being labeled racist incel nazi russian trolls?

Tbf, most of the people who were labelled 'racist' when the last couple of films came out, were the ones who were moaning about the inclusion of an ethnically diverse cast. Which is kind of racist...

I guess, but... virtually everyone I know has seen GoT. Virtually no one I know has paid HBO a penny to see it. I WOULD have paid them if they made it even close to convenient but here in the Netherlands I would have to cancel my current tv/internet/phone plan, get it with one specific other provider and THEN get a special extra HBO package with them to see it. I guess somehow they still make money off that show but for the life of me I don't know how.
(And yes, I probably will at some point buy a big BluRay box of the whole show once it's finished :))

Tbf, most of the people who were labelled 'racist' when the last couple of films came out, were the ones who were moaning about the inclusion of an ethnically diverse cast. Which is kind of racist...

Yeah no, not even close. The backlash against TLJ (and Solo) had nothing to do with an "ethnically diverse cast" or strong women characters for that matter. It had everything to do with bland new characters, completely negating many story elements that had been set up in TFA and destroying old, beloved characters (esp talking about TLJ here), as well as including overt partisan socio political messaging in movies that are supposed to be escapist entertainment. The whole "racist mysogenist" thing was just a straw man erected by corporate media shills, SJW's and Disney employees. Remember TFA was a huge SUCCESS. People liked TFA. People liked Rey and Finn and Poe. But suddenly everybody turned racist and mysogenist for TLJ? Yeah right, that makes total sense. In reality, the backlash didn't begin in earnest until AFTER Disney employees (including directors like Ryan Johnson and JJ Abrams and writers like Jon Kasdan started openly attacking fans who criticized the movies for whatever reason (and there were many reasons which had nothing to do with race or gender) and calling them manbabies or mysogenists on social media, and blabbering about how Lando was suddenly pansexual and the people making movies where all so terribly white. It was embarassing. It was nauseating. And still Disney/Lucasfilm employees are all over Twitter virtue signalling their politics on their professional accounts. They have learned nothing. They've co-opted Star Wars as just a vehicle for their side in a culture war. But hey, I'll judge this show on it's own merits. It might be good. I did like TFA allright, and I really liked Rogue One (very ethnically diverse cast! Female lead!). But I hated TLJ and didn't even see Solo.

Last edited:
I guess, but... virtually everyone I know has seen GoT. Virtually no one I know has paid HBO a penny to see it. I WOULD have paid them if they made it even close to convenient but here in the Netherlands I would have to cancel my current tv/internet/phone plan, get it with one specific other provider and THEN get a special extra HBO package with them to see it. I guess somehow they still make money off that show but for the life of me I don't know how.
(And yes, I probably will at some point buy a big BluRay box of the whole show once it's finished :))
Your experience notwithstanding, HBO pulled in about 5.5 billion in subscription revenue last year - a large portion is almost certainly due to GoT....

Yeah no, not even close. The backlash against TLJ (and Solo) had nothing to do with an "ethnically diverse cast" or strong women characters for that matter.

(snip..)

Lots of the backlash was as you say, some of it was as I say. Both things are true, as it doesn't have to be either/or. Shockingly, there were more than 2 opinions on a film that was seen by hundreds of millions of people.

I also specifically said "most of the people who were labelled 'racist'", not, "the whole backlash was about racism". Very different things.

Back