The Insidious Nature of Windows 10

TheBigFatClown

Microsoft wants Windows 10 to be their last operating system...ever...EVER. But why? I've been thinking about this. They want to force updates onto people in the name of "protecting us", behind the guise of security. They seemingly "love" proclaiming from the rooftops what a dangerous place the internet is and you should always keep your operating system up to date. Fear sells. It always has and it always will.

But here's the insidious part of the underlying concept that Windows 10 aspires to. Even if Windows 10 ever reaches an orgasmic milestone for me personally it will never "remain" there. Microsoft has crafted the quintessential strategy to control and milk consumers from the cradle to the grave. No longer can we choose exactly what we want in an operating system moving forward.

Hypothetically, If I love Windows 10 exactly the way it is today(*snickering under my breath*) how can I be guaranteed that I will be able to use it exactly as it is today in a year from now? The beauty of Microsoft's "last operating system ever" is that I will never be able to pick a concrete moment in time to stop on the conceptual highway to nirvana that can never be reached and that never ends.

Microsoft is basically killing off all choice of people remaining where they are for longer than it takes them to push out a new update and keep us dependent on a subscription based operating system.

The irony of a successful operating system release by Microsoft is that, if it's too successful, nobody ever wants to give it up. A successful Windows release is a paradox for Microsoft because it's both good and bad.

We will be able to keep a minor version of Windows 10 as it evolves over the next 10 years? Features will come and features will go, what you get tomorrow with your morning coffee??? No one really knows.

By eliminating benchmarks in their line of Windows operating systems, it makes it virtually impossible for anybody to say, "Hey, wait a minute. I like it right here. Can I stay right here for awhile?"

"You sure can", responds Microsoft. "For as long as it takes us to push out the next update."

Microsoft wants to have their cake and eat it too. If, in a year from now, Windows 10 looks exactly like it does today, people will complain that the software is stagnant. If it keeps evolving, you risk angering consumers by ushering in too much change.

Without anymore "major" Windows releases, we can never again make the decision to say, "I like it right here. Don't change a thing".

No more benchmarks, no more milestones. Every day will be another day of opening another box of crackerjacks to find out what new toy is inside. Or what old toy is no longer inside.(Windows Media Center, *cough, cough*).

These are sad times indeed.

Last edited:
Btw: The US Navy had to sue MS to keep XP support for another 10 years - - claiming the Navy could not update all of the systems onboard ships (and there's two stories in that claim). :sigh:

Back