The internet on my computer became slow recently so can someone analyze this HJT log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

machan

The internet on my computer became slow recently so can someone analyze these logs?

I got home yesterday and went on my computer. I clicked on the google chrome browser and then proceeded to attempt to surf the web, only to find out that my internet was terribly slow. At first I thought my whole computer was slow, but upon several tests with other programs, I realized that it was just my internet that was being slow. My internet provider is Verizon DSL, and I use one of their modems via ethernet cable if that helps. Could it be some sort of infection that is causing this? I had used the computer about 7 hours before this situation came up and it was completely fine then. I don't know who else touched the computer during those 7 hours though.

I've attached a HJT log in case that it'll help

EDIT: OK! I've got the three logs in now. And I also have some new information regarding my problem. If I go into the command prompt and ping any site, the time will be at most 100ms which is pretty normal for me. Also, downloading speeds have not changed much at all (I was downloading torrents fine) but uploading seems to be really bad (upload speed on torrents were really low).

Also, I replaced the HJT log I had up originally with a newer one.

Check Norton log files for any detected infections or threats that precede all this.
Code:
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll' missing
O23 - Service: FDSHVCJ - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\Machan\LOCALS~1\Temp\FDSHVCJ.exe (file missing)

Asking me to check for any detected infections or threats in the Norton log files is pretty vague. I looked through them but I'm really not sure what I should be looking for.

I fixed the broken internet thing. Well, I think I did. I got rid of all instances of bonjour (registry and files).

the 023 - Service: . . . is something that I have no idea about. I don't know what it means and searching on google gave me no answers.

....check for any detected infections or threats in the Norton log files is pretty vague. .....not sure what I should be looking for..
The '7 hours' is the interval of interest. No log or report during that interval means use the standard tools, which you did. Base on this information, deeper scans for infections are not needed at this time.

A service (O23) running from a "TEMP" folder is very strange - almost never legit. HJT - tick & fix sets the service to manual. Deleting the folder removes the suspect files. The '(missing file)' declared in HJT probably reflects that the files are already deleted.

Scan with HJT. Tick & Fix. Exit. Restart the computer.
Code:
O23 - Service: FDSHVCJ - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\Machan\LOCALS~1\Temp\FDSHVCJ.exe (file missing)

Events logs is another method to determine when changes occurred. Errors should correspond to the FDSHVCJ service failure at startup that would time when it was disabled. Finding when it began is best viewed by transforming the records into a tab delimited file [ action > save log file as > save as type ]. Search the file using 'FDSHVCJ'. A lot of work for results of questionable value.

Slowness quite often is cause by unneeded startup applications. Chrome has corrected many of their problems already.
Draft Draft Draft - Started - Dec. 10, 2008 - Draft Draft Draft

How to Manage Startup Applications Using HiJackThis

Simply unplugging my modem and plugging everything back in after a bit solved the problem (I think), but I ticked and fixed the 023 just in case. Sorry for making this such a big thing and taking your valuable time. There were actually a couple intrusion attempts on the computer right before it went slow so that's why I thought it might be something from there.

However, could you expand more on the event log thing? If that service failure is abnormal, I'd like that to be sorted out.

Simply unplugging my modem and plugging everything back in after a bit solved the problem (I think),... There were actually a couple intrusion attempts on the computer right before it went slow so that's why I thought it might be something from there.
Thanks for the heads-up. It is easy to overlook basics & assume 'virus'. Additionally, for your request using 'eventmgr', I use this sticky note. Use the
viewpost.gif
inside the quote box.

My discussion of 'service failure' for this O23 item refers to an occurrence where the 'missing file' was most likely created when deleted by your Norton protection. "CCleaner' also goes after files in some 'TEMP' folders.

I've introduced so many Windows XP users to the Event Viewer that I made my own 'sticky'. (Vista has it also- path is slightly different) It's not 'stuck' anywhere on this board, but please feel free to use it any time. Here is the entire post:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back