The modders behind the excellent Half-Life 2 VR port reveal Episode One to arrive in Q1

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Highly anticipated: If you have played SourceVR's Half-Life 2: VR Mod, it's likely left you wanting more. The good news is the team is already working on converting HL2: Episode One to VR. Even more good news is it's slated to arrive within the first quarter of this year. Yep. The decade-long wait for Half-Life 2: VR got a bit sweeter, knowing that the follow-up episodes are coming sooner than we thought.

Running off the momentum of its recent Half-Life 2: VR Mod beta release, SourceVR Mod Team revealed that it already has Half-Life 2: Episode One in working order. The fan-developed mod should launch sometime in Q1 2023, although the team didn't indicate whether it would be a beta or fully complete.

Considering that HL2: VR is still in beta on Steam, one of two things could happen. Since development undoubtedly coincided with the mod for the core game, Episode One could launch just as SourceVR releases the final version of HL2: VR. Conversely, it could enter an indefinite early-access beta state like its predecessor.

In either case, it's exciting to know that we won't have to wait another 10 years for the follow-up content. SourceVR's conversion of Half-Life 2 was a long time coming but was well worth the wait, having everything you would expect for a triple-A VR title. It puts Valve's short-lived weak effort at an HL2 VR version to shame.

The Episode One mod should be more of the same, considering its imminent release indicates the team has gathered a full head of Steam (pun intended) to push it out so soon after the previous effort's beta launch. SourceVR seems to have hit its development groove on the project, and it would not be surprising to hear that Episode 2 is nearing completion in a few months. Cross your fingers.

Keep in mind that the entire Half-Life 2: VR project is a mod and does require the original non-VR Valve game. However, The Orange Box, which includes the core game and both episodes, is only $20. The Box also comes with Portal, so the purchase is a no-brainer. And as long as you are passing a few bucks to Valve for basically doing nothing, why not buy the SourceVR team a coffee for its hard work. You can donate to the cause on its Ko-fi page.

Regarding VR setups, SourceVR recommends running the mods on an Intel 8th-gen or AMD Ryzen 3000 processor or better. You can get away with 8GB of RAM, but 16GB or more would be better. You'll also want a GeForce GTX 1080 or Radeon RX 5700 to play with higher fidelity and frame rates. Also, be sure your headset and controllers are SteamVR compatible.

Permalink to story.

Considering the whole 3D TV and 3D at home fad died off very quickly, am I the only one who's surprised that VR is still a thing? Are there really that many people out there who didn't like 3D, but are willing to strap a VR helmet on their heads? Maybe I'm missing something here that Zuckerberg couldn't explain properly, but I can't see a future where I'll be wearing 3D/VR/AR hardware on my face.

The whole thing seems like one of those really expensive hobbies that you stick with mostly because you spent so much money on it even though the novelty wore off after the first weekend.

Considering the whole 3D TV and 3D at home fad died off very quickly, am I the only one who's surprised that VR is still a thing? Are there really that many people out there who didn't like 3D, but are willing to strap a VR helmet on their heads? Maybe I'm missing something here that Zuckerberg couldn't explain properly, but I can't see a future where I'll be wearing 3D/VR/AR hardware on my face.

The whole thing seems like one of those really expensive hobbies that you stick with mostly because you spent so much money on it even though the novelty wore off after the first weekend.

VR is still a thing because it's a working tech that people enjoy and pay for. It may not be the revolution that some were hoping, but it's still good. With time it will eventually become more and more mainstream with lighter, better and cheaper headsets. Software will grow alongside the hardware.

There is nothing that can replace the feeling of popping at a poker table using a Quest 2 and playing with people from across the world. And while I don't personally play it (don't have the time for it), VR Chat is massive.

Agreed, it's not about comfort. The lightweight 3d glasses were as comfortable as possible and just didn't catch on in living room settings and you were not even actively doing something, just watching TV. It was just Google glass kinda weird, sitting next to each other with these glasses on, I think the same goes for augmented reality.

It will work in niches, games and some work environments but a complete metaverse takeover, nah.
I'm not buying in the whole Metaverse thing, I think it's DOA and the only reason Zuckerberg is pursuing it is because he has the most voting shares and desperately needs to polish his image in to that of an inventor, instead of someone who ruined the social fabric for profit.
Why the Metaverse is DOA: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11/why-facebooks-metaverse-is-dead-on-arrival.html

As for games it won't become mainstream, but it's stunning and I love it when done right.
I play table tennis almost every night for 30 minutes with others from around the world and having a VR headset instead of a complete table tennis set in a room is a game changer. Half Life Alyx and the mod Levitation were one of the most intense experiences I've ever had in a game. An absolutely magnificent experience.

Until you try VR properly for the first time then it's hard to judge. But honestly Roomscale VR with games like super hot were what got me to say yes this is a game changer and buy a Quest 2 after using a friend's Quest 1.
Half life Alyx is the ultimate VR experience imo and Half life 2 VR mod is genuinely the best VR game I've played and it's not even a VR game, it made me love HL2 even more.

I've been really enjoying the HL2 VR mod... still running my Oculus Rift from 2017. Spent $450 on everything. Totally worth it. Now I just need more time!

Back