The Nawa Racer is an e-motorbike with an ultracapacitor significantly boosts its range

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
The big picture: Battery tech continues to advance as a sustainable energy startup Nawa Technologies introduces a hybrid lithium-ion battery that uses a "ultracapacitor" to reuse braking energy. It equipped a prototype electric motorcycle with the tech, but says it can be applied to any EV.

On Friday, Nawa Technologies unveiled a racing-inspired electric motorcycle called the Nawa Racer, which has a significantly better range than other e-bikes. The prototype has a cool, futuristic look with a hubless rear wheel and sleek design. It also has decent performance for an electric motorcycle. The press release notes the crotch rocket can go from 0-100km/h in under 3 seconds, although it tops out at around 160km/h.

What really sets the bike apart from the crowd is a hybrid lithium-ion battery with ultracapacitor technology developed by Nawa. The company claims this is the first electric motorcycle to use an ultracapacitor in its design.

The Nawa Racer has a range of around 300km in the city, which is nearly 65 percent more travel distance than other e-bikes (180km) with the same size battery. The cap-tech captures and reuses 80 percent of the braking energy and delivers 10 times the power and five times the electricity of existing ultracapacitors.

Of course, since it is only harnessing energy during braking, the range boost is only effective in stop and go traffic. On the highway, it would only achieve about the same range as other e-bikes.

Unfortunately, the company has no plans to sell the Racer. As an energy storage and transfer company, it is not in the position to manufacture motorcycles. Instead, they built the prototype to show off the capacitor's capabilities. It will showcase the bike at CES 2020 next month.

Nawa says the hybrid battery system is scalable and can be applied to any EV, which is its real goal in creating the bike. It plans to start mass production of the technology sometime in 2020 for use in motorcycles, cars, and other EVs.

Permalink to story.

"The company claims this is the first electric motorcycle to use an ultracapacitor in its design."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Correction....

Unlike all the other electric vehicles designed to harvest braking energy with ultracapacitors in the past 30 years, "this is the first to use an ultracapacitor developed by Nawa" in its design.

There, fixed it for you!

Although the technology to harvest braking energy with supercaps has been detailed in many magazines for more than 30 years (Like Road & Track, Popular Mechanics, Pop Science etc.) , the designs really took off in the 1990's and beyond

You're welcome!

Last edited:
Hope that capacitor is WELL SHIELDED...get your leg across that might "hurt" just a bit!

I d buy a byke with 500 mile range. Hopefully when those re available I am still alive and in shape to ride it.

I d buy a byke with 500 mile range. Hopefully when those re available I am still alive and in shape to ride it.

As a bike rider I know that 500 miles on a sports bike is hell, even 200 miles is not nice. Why you would need this to have a 500 mile range is baffling.

As a bike rider I know that 500 miles on a sports bike is hell, even 200 miles is not nice. Why you would need this to have a 500 mile range is baffling.
As much stigma as the old Harleys with high bars and extended forks carry, the long wheelbase and seating position actually smooth out the ride on the highway. As near as I can figure out, sport bikes are designed to be uncomfortable, with the "all hunched up" posture they inflict on the rider.

As for "500 miles range", I would guess a person might think that's needed because you an't gonna be able to simply pull into a gas station and, "fill er up".

From where I am, the Jersey shore points are about 100 miles one way. My old Honda "750 Nighthawk", (4.75 gallon tank), will run to about 120 miles or so on the highway, before it hits the reserve level. So, a trip to the Jersey shore, and some riding around town after you get there, requires a pit stop for the ride back.....but not a recharge.

Engine vibration is a primary cause of riding fatigue, along with noise and wind buffeting.

I'm going to hazard a guess than an electric bike with a windshield, would greatly reduce all three tiring factors, (not that I would be caught dead riding one), and enable longer trips.

A friend of mine had an ancient touring BMW that sported a 13 (!) gallon tank. The only drawback was the fact the bike handled very differently, when full as opposed to empty. In fact, he only kept it about half full for everyday short trips to combat that issue.

Here again, and electric bike would have the advantage of handling the same, from full charge to a dead battery. (Yet I still wouldn't be caught dead riding one).

As for "quiet", my L4 Honda with 4 into 2 exhaust is fairly quiet in its own right. In fact, with the abundance of small engined 4 cylinder cars on the road today, I've been told it, "sounds like a car". Or every once in a while, "damn that thing's quiet".

Last edited:
@Cal Jeffrey I"m curious as to why the company chose to state the range in kilometers. Was it force of habit? Or was it an intentional inflation of range?

They're based in France, so maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt?

@Cal Jeffrey I"m curious as to why the company chose to state the range in kilometers. Was it force of habit? Or was it an intentional inflation of range?

They're based in France, so maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt?
Expressing distances in kilometers (or speeds for that matter) does give them an exaggerated feel, but yeah, benefit of doubt is deserved here, since it will only seem exaggerated to those in the United States -- well, Burma and Liberia as well (had to look that up). All other countries are on the metric system so to people there, a kilometer is just a kilometer, just as to those in the US a mile is a mile. There's an innate understanding of the distance without having to do a calculation. So I don't think they were intentionally trying to make the range sound inflated.

I'd like to know more about that "hubless" rear wheel.

What is supporting the bike? MagLev? Is the bike front-wheel drive or does the hubless real wheel also provide propulsion?

A lot of interesting details left out of this story.

Mugsy, this might help answer your questiosn a bit: https://www.sciencefocus.com/future-technology/how-do-hubless-wheels-work/
(So a 'hubless' wheel is similar to today's 'hover' boards.)

Thanks. The photo reveals a bit more but the article you linked to is still too brief.

Based on the design of the "hubless" wheel, someone could conceivably use "MagLev" technology to "grip" the lip on that hub to achieve a "frictionless" clamp.

I mean, if you're going HiTech...

Oh Boy... They'll probably carry 'captcranky' & me to our graves once we're dead on a few of these just to spit in our eyes. But on a higher note, at least you'll be able to hear me *fart* one last time because they are so damn SILENT....BUT DEADLY (yeah, I had to say it.)!

Whew! Thank the Tech Gods they're ONLY making the ONE...!? NEVER say DIE! (just pretend to be & let them pass on by so you can shoot them in the ***!)

I'd like to know more about that "hubless" rear wheel.

What is supporting the bike? MagLev? Is the bike front-wheel drive or does the hubless real wheel also provide propulsion?

A lot of interesting details left out of this story.
At a guess I'd say the fixed windings are attached to the stationary part of the hub, and the whizzing around part of the electric motor(do stop me if I'm getting too technical) are fixed to the bit the tyre sits on. You may be shocked to learn that I'm not an electrical engineer...

Back