The next Battlefield game will be unveiled this Friday

midian182

Staff member

The Battlefield versus Call of Duty rivalry has existed for many years. This week, the franchises are competing yet again, as both first-person shooters reveal details about their next installments.

We know that the upcoming Call of Duty, called Infinite Warfare, will arrive on November 4. And now an event timer has appeared on the Battlefield website that is counting down to 4 PM EST on Friday, May 6, when we'll get to see the first military-based Battlefield game in three years.

The new title will be unveiled during a “world premier event," followed by a live Twitch stream on the BF channel, where fans will get “a first look at the future of Battlefield.”

“Get insight into the minds of the developers as you hear from the creative director Lars Gustavsson and lead producer Aleksander Grondal on the past, present and the future of Battlefield,” wrote EA in a press release.

In December, Dice developmental director Dan Vaderlind Tweeted that now Dice had shipped Star Wars: Battlefront, part of the team would be moving onto the next Battlefield game.

We still don’t know anything about the upcoming Battlefield; it could be Battlefield 5, Bad Company 3, or perhaps even follow Call of Duty’s lead and re-introduce some futuristic weaponry to the series by returning to the Battlefield 2142 spin-off.

After last year’s cops-and-robbers-based Battlefield: Hardline wasn't greeted with universal critical acclaim, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said the series will return to its military-style roots, and that the next game will be a “fun, new Battlefield.”

There have been rumors that the upcoming title will take place during the first World War. The series started with Battlefield 1942, so setting the game in the early part of the twentieth century may not be beyond the realms of possibility. We’ll find out what EA has in store for players this Friday.

Permalink to story.

I just hope it's good and stable at launch. Battlefield is pretty much all I play online.

Bahaha, that's funny. I can't remember the last stable Battlefield launch. I gave up playing BF3 for PC, because I couldn't get into a match for weeks due to matchmaking game search bugs.

And then BF4 came along... and surprise! For as inferior as CoD can get sometimes... at least I can get into a match on launch week. I'll take that over a loading screen any day.

It needs to not have a browser base game search and match making system. It also has to not have any involvement from EA and not be exclusive to Origins, but now I'm asking for way too much and then there's the guaranteed 6 months of bug patching to make the game stable. Thank you very much EA, you damn near killed the BF experience. Go consoles!...

I haven't bothered with bf since bad company. I have bf3 but only played some campaign. It felt nasty compared to bfbc2. And bf4 I tried to play online. Had such an issue even getting online and when I did I was under whelmed. And that browser crap they have. Ugh what's that about.

Back