The original DOOM for free?

Scroll down the page in the link you posted - it explains everything!

Scroll down the page in the link you posted - it explains everything!
Thanks for your response. I've read the article, downloaded; DOOM and Chocolate Doom from TECHSPOT which both work perfectly. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but what confuses me is that "Vanilla Doom" running on DOS is a shareware and not freeware, so why is this version of DOOM from TECHSPOT totally free. Is it because it's not the original version(Vanilla Doom) but only a port( Chocolate Doom) etc..?

Thank you,
Neeyik

Thanks for your response. I've read the article, downloaded; DOOM and Chocolate Doom from TECHSPOT which both work perfectly. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but what confuses me is that "Vanilla Doom" running on DOS is a shareware and not freeware, so why is this version of DOOM from TECHSPOT totally free. Is it because it's not the original version(Vanilla Doom) but only a port( Chocolate Doom) etc..?

Thank you,
Neeyik
Doom is one of the most widely ported video games in the FPS genre: starting with the original MS-DOS shareware version, it's been released officially for seven computer operating systems, nine video game consoles, two handheld game consoles, and one cell phone. And that's just the official list. The Doom source code was eventually released under the GPL license by id Software, that's why you can download the DOS version here for free and ports simply keep on coming.
Original Doom was Shareware. It's now "freeware". Feel free to download it.

Original Doom was Shareware. It's now "freeware". Feel free to download it.
Thank you, but if it's for free then why are people still buying the original DOOM on STEAM? I think you need the official WAD's to play them on ports such as Chocolate Doom and other ports. What still confuses me is why DOOM on TechSpot is totally free?

Yeah, like I said, Doom is "freeware" since source code was released under GPL. But, only engine is.

Now I looked at files and Techspot's download does seem to contain Doom.wad too.

So yes, Jetnosfreak, you're right. Techspot seems to **** up with this one.

Yeah, like I said, Doom is "freeware" since source code was released under GPL. But, only engine is.

Now I looked at files and Techspot's download does seem to contain Doom.wad too.

So yes, Jetnosfreak, you're right. Techspot seems to **** up with this one.
Thank you. Too bad, because I had big plans for my notebook running on Lubuntu. I used the shareware version of the original "Vanilla Doom" with DosBox running on my desktop instead!

Back