The Outer Worlds Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Too bad that the epic games store makes me question whether or not I'll even buy new games. Single player he's where developers use exclusivity deals at the consumers cost or multiplayer games filled with pay to win loot boxes. I'm not a kid anymore, maybe it's time to give up gaming. All I play these days is Eve online after work or Mario Cart when I have company over.

Last edited:
Too bad that the epic games store makes me question whether or not I'll even buy new games. Single player he's where developers use exclusivity deals at the consumers cost or multiplayer games filled with pay to win loot boxes. I'm not a kid anymore, maybe it's time to give up gaming. All I play these days is Eve online after work or Mario Cart when I company over.
well the game hits steam some point next year, thats when I'll buy it....maybe.

I understand the devs need their money, but sitting with epic was a bit of a b***h move on their part, if it wasnt for the "seemingly always missing from conversation steam release" I'd have ignored this game and continued on in ff14 as usual.

but I'm like you, once ff14 dies my gaming days will be over from what I'm seeing, I dont just blame the pubs and devs, I also blame gamers for asking for so much yet not wanting to pay up....they asked for this cluster and got it back in spades.

Too bad that the epic games store makes me question whether or not I'll even buy new games. Single player he's where developers use exclusivity deals at the consumers cost or multiplayer games filled with pay to win loot boxes. I'm not a kid anymore, maybe it's time to give up gaming. All I play these days is Eve online after work or Mario Cart when I have company over.

It's on game pass too which is still $5 a month for now, that's where I'll be playing it.

Also I like how you can tell this is a Kotaku review because there's three short paragraphs for the gameplay and the entire rest of the article is prattling about politics.

I have over two years of games pass accumulated at this point. Only for accounts that have never had game pass, the best thing you can do is buy the cheapest standard gold subscription you can, for as long as you can. Legit key stores usually do reasonable deals. Redeem them all, so up to 36 months can be stacked.

Then go with the online offer of $1 game pass ultimate trial which converts all your existing gold sub to ultimate.

So you can pay maybe $150 for 3 years gold, then add the $1 ultimate and you now have 3 entire years of game pass ultimate.

This seems like a very good deal to me. You'll be playing all of Microsoft's new games on launch for the next few years, which includes stuff like the upcoming Halo collection, Halo 5, Gears 5. You have older games like Sea of Thieves, Gears 4 and all the Forza titles. Then you have games like this, Metro Exodus, Cities Skylines etc.

Last edited:
I'm the same way. Just play civ v and some older star wars games from my youth these days. Even when I buy a game, like the new DOOM, I hardly touch it. Just get bored really quick.

It sucks, I LOVE building powerful PCs and love the idea of playing games, and I have not been able to enjoy anything new. I've refused to buy newer games and consoles because of this, and am contemplating selling my remaining systems.

well the game hits steam some point next year, thats when I'll buy it....maybe.

I understand the devs need their money, but sitting with epic was a bit of a b***h move on their part, if it wasnt for the "seemingly always missing from conversation steam release" I'd have ignored this game and continued on in ff14 as usual.

but I'm like you, once ff14 dies my gaming days will be over from what I'm seeing, I dont just blame the pubs and devs, I also blame gamers for asking for so much yet not wanting to pay up....they asked for this cluster and got it back in spades.
Not wanting to pay up? Have you seen the sheer amount of money spent on microtransactions, DLC, addons, ece in the gaming world? Gamers seem quite happy to pay up, companies OTOH never seem satisfied no matter how much cash they make unless they sell 70+ million copies.

I'm the same way. Just play civ v and some older star wars games from my youth these days. Even when I buy a game, like the new DOOM, I hardly touch it. Just get bored really quick.

It sucks, I LOVE building powerful PCs and love the idea of playing games, and I have not been able to enjoy anything new. I've refused to buy newer games and consoles because of this, and am contemplating selling my remaining systems.

Not wanting to pay up? Have you seen the sheer amount of money spent on microtransactions, DLC, addons, ece in the gaming world? Gamers seem quite happy to pay up, companies OTOH never seem satisfied no matter how much cash they make unless they sell 70+ million copies.

I was the same way until I got a VR headset.

I was the same way until I got a VR headset.
My coworker has suggested that I would love VR. I'll admit I am intrigued, but havent forked over the cost nor have a good room for such a setup.

Maybe in a year or two, if I can convince said coworker to let me borrow his for a week or two to try out.

My coworker has suggested that I would love VR. I'll admit I am intrigued, but havent forked over the cost nor have a good room for such a setup.

Maybe in a year or two, if I can convince said coworker to let me borrow his for a week or two to try out.

Well on the upside, the longer you wait the better the hardware gets.

Even when I buy a game, like the new DOOM, I hardly touch it. Just get bored really quick.
If you're referring to the 2016 DOOM it really starts to get good around the 3rd level or so. I'd suggest playing through 3 then going back and 100% completing 1, 2 and 3. Then I'd play through a new level once for story and replay it immediately for 100%. I loved the whole experience.

"Sexism and racism don’t meaningfully exist even though race does; many of the people you meet across classes are black and brown."

"Across classes." You'd think that would have been the reviewer's first hint that this is a future where race no longer matters. Of course if it HAD mattered then the reviewer would be whining about how the player experience is limited based on their character choices.

Preordered this game but EGS doesn't even have pre loading feature :/, hopefully it's not a 150GB behemoth.

Yes, not wanting to pay up.

we could've dodged all this dlc/addon/microtransaction crap if we just took higher prices on the initial product, right now a 60dollar game wont net you the full experience but if a 20 dollar season pass is attached to everyhing then just price it for $80 and call it a day, back in ps1 days games were $40 then $50, $60 and just sat there while graphics and features went on a run.

same thing hit the ps4 on its release, people whined about the ps3's price in the past although that system was loaded, it was literally what everyone begged for but they had to pay up, and they didnt, whats sad is that the ps3 over its life was chopped down into that sad sliding lid final form we have now, it never went forward but had to go backwards to succeed. But cut to the future and they release the ps4 at a lower price with way less and people criticized it, so sony released the pro, so now those same gamers that balked at the ps3(and its myriad features) have now bought TWO ps4's which tally up to more than that original ps3!?

and what is sony whispering already? 2 ps5's a normie and a pro probably, all cause people were cheap years ago, they now know they can get away with it, just like devs and pubs have realized also.

gaming is a hobby, if it requires a high price so be it, right now its just gonna wear itself out, I hate that I no longer get hyped about new releases because I have to wait and hear how chopped up a game will be by the time it hits the shelves.

so yes, in my opinion the blame for the state of gaming hits all sides.

This should be titled "The Outer Worlds Advert". Didn't we just have an article on influencers? The irony

Edit: I wrote that without reading one word...and the first sentence I read was this: "The Outer Worlds is so impactful that it made me question and ultimately settle more thoughtfully into my beliefs. " (Oops I found a mispell)
I used to love audio reviews before I realized it was all marketing. The writers could sell you a sound. This kind of writing is total salesman.

This should be titled "The Outer Worlds Advert". Didn't we just have an article on influencers? The irony

Edit: I wrote that without reading one word...and the first sentence I read was this: "The Outer Worlds is so impactful that it made me question and ultimately settle more thoughtfully into my beliefs. " (Oops I found a mispell)
I used to love audio reviews before I realized it was all marketing. The writers could sell you a sound. This kind of writing is total salesman.
Out of curiosity, where is the misspelling? Other than your mispell.

It's more of an opinion piece that an advert. Kotaku doesn't come to solid conclusions on games like other reviewers do. I always found it odd that they would describe their experience but wouldn't come to any definitive conclusions.

I wish Tim Rogers had done the review. He's the only reason Kotaku still has a spot in my bookmarks.

I got the PC game pass for this game ($1 for a month) and was able to pre-load the game yesterday morning and played an hour or so last night when it unlocked.

While I cannot comment yet on the game play the Games Pass for PC is pretty awesome even for $5 a month. I've downloaded The Outer Worlds, Gears 5, and Sea of Thieves to try out. All it will cost me through the end of the year is $11.

6hours in, game looks decent, quests and dialogs have some depth to it and filled with moral choices. Overall any fan of Fallout should play this game. Although people are gonna cry unoptimized this and that since FPS is quite low.

Back