The PC master race is 'decimating' Switch players in Jedi Academy crossplay

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: It's the age-old debate about who would win in a gunfight: PC or console player, only this time with lightsabers. When Aspyr ported Jedi Academy to the PS4 and Switch, it left a loophole open that allows PC players to invade console servers. Needless to say, console players were outclassed against the PC master race.

Last week, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy launched simultaneously on the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4. Users on both consoles quickly discovered themselves being cut down by seemingly unbeatable opponents. It was as if the Masters turned on the Padawans. As it turns out, that was literally the case.

In multiplayer games on both consoles, the server IP is visible on the screen. Due to no filters or restrictions, PC players can search for the IP in the game's server browser and join in on some unintended cross-play. It did not take long for console players to verify they were being culled by Jedi with superior experience and laser-like controls.

"I joined a game where one player was absolutely mopping the floor with us and he had .twitchtv in his username," said ResetEra user Max Payment. "Sure enough, I looked him up and he was playing on PC in a Switch server absolutely decimating everyone."

Jedi Academy has been out on PC since 2003, so some of these players have years of experience dueling in multiplayer. Couple that with the speed and precision of a mouse and keyboard, and it's no contest. It's like handing Jar Jar Binks a broken lightsaber and throwing him in a pit with Mace Windu. Unsurprisingly, many Switch players were not amused.

Aspyr, which handled the port, received a significant number of tweets reporting the problem and suggesting fixes ranging from not displaying the IP to completely removing the ability to play across platforms. Others would rather see cross-play remain, but be more controlled.

"Nah, man. Leave it in. It'll keep the player base more active." said one user that was not much bothered by it. "If anything, implement a server browser and a voice/text chat and make it so it's optional to play with pc players."

So far, Aspyr has not commented on the situation, except to maybe offer players a cheat code.

Permalink to story.

PC players had forever to perfect the game, but even when they don't the skill gaps are insane.

I watch and have played many recent popular games like Fortnite and PUBG. The difference in quality of opponents you'll face going from PC to any of the console platforms is staggering.

Console gamers will always deny this but there is a lot of evidence to back up this long held assertion. News like difficult raids on The Division 2 only being completed by PC gamers and console gamers asking for the difficulty to be reduced lol

This happened many years ago, can't remember clearly now, some FPS Online shooter, but they put 10 professional console gamers against 10 professional PC gamers, and the console gamers got destroyed.
I don't care how good you get with a gamepad, your not going to match the quickness and precision of todays gaming mice.

PC players had forever to perfect the game, but even when they don't the skill gaps are insane.

I watch and have played many recent popular games like Fortnite and PUBG. The difference in quality of opponents you'll face going from PC to any of the console platforms is staggering.

Console gamers will always deny this but there is a lot of evidence to back up this long held assertion. News like difficult raids on The Division 2 only being completed by PC gamers and console gamers asking for the difficulty to be reduced lol

This is why a lot of newer games that do crossplay give console players heavy aim-assist.

This is why a lot of newer games that do crossplay give console players heavy aim-assist.
The latest Call of Duty is an example of this, It's not even to do with consoles, just using a basic controller and the game gives pretty insane auto-aim in multiplayer.

Just for a laugh I plugged in my Xbox controller to my PC after getting wrecked one game by someone on a PS4, I admit, I'm not great at the game but to lose to a controller wielding console player is pretty rare even for me, except this latest CoD. Turns out the game basically moves your cross-hairs to their head just by looking in their relative direction.

What properly blew me away though was the aiming when camping. Hide somewhere and as an enemy walks past, it basically auto-locks and follows.

Luckily the game has an option to not match make with Cross Play players.

The latest Call of Duty is an example of this, It's not even to do with consoles, just using a basic controller and the game gives pretty insane auto-aim in multiplayer.

Just for a laugh I plugged in my Xbox controller to my PC after getting wrecked one game by someone on a PS4, I admit, I'm not great at the game but to lose to a controller wielding console player is pretty rare even for me, except this latest CoD. Turns out the game basically moves your cross-hairs to their head just by looking in their relative direction.

What properly blew me away though was the aiming when camping. Hide somewhere and as an enemy walks past, it basically auto-locks and follows.

Luckily the game has an option to not match make with Cross Play players.

Yep, COD is like that. I never play controller but I can actually jump on my friend's console and beat him. All you really need to know is how to move and pull the trigger.

Yep, COD is like that. I never play controller but I can actually jump on my friend's console and beat him. All you really need to know is how to move and pull the trigger.
This was the first CoD I've played since the original CoD:MW2 and pretty much all the games I play aren't cross-play so it was the first time I got to see this "aim-assist" in action. Normally a minority scream on the internet so I just ignore people complaining but wow, I was truly surprised how much assist it gives to controller players.

No surprise, I remember playing Halo 2 PC against a friend on lan using the PC version. He hooked up his 360 controller and got curb stomped. He was normally better than me when we played on his Xbox and he won a few local tournaments back in the day, but fighting me on the PC version with a controller I wiped the floor with him. His controller couldn't overcome my mx510 mouse.

Exactly, it's the controls. Players with a KB&M have an unbridgeable advantage over people playing with controllers. Controllers can not keep up with the level of fine grained precision a mouse and keyboard naturally provide. And so the results described in this article should be a surprise to no one.

Last edited:
No surprise, I remember playing Halo 2 PC against a friend on lan using the PC version. He hooked up his 360 controller and got curb stomped. He was normally better than me when we played on his Xbox and he won a few local tournaments back in the day, but fighting me on the PC version with a controller I wiped the floor with him. His controller couldn't overcome my mx510 mouse.
Exactly.

LMAO!!! Very unsurprisingly!
My first draft of this article opened with:

"It's the age-old debate about who would win in a gunfight: PC or console player, only this time with lightsabers. When Aspyr ported Jedi Academy to the PS4 and Switch, it left a loophole open that allows PC players to invade console servers. Needless to say, console players were outclassed against the PC master race and went running to Mommy."

ROFL

I decided to tone down the condescension a bit in the final draft.

I decided to tone down the condescension a bit in the final draft.
Probably wise!

As much of a big problem it seems now, it likely didn't seem like a big problem during the redevelopment process. Perhaps they didn't foresee it.

I use to play the hell out of this game back in the day multiplayer dueling was my cup of tea.

This story wants to make me reinstall the game to see if the muscle memory is still there so I can run a train on those consoles players lol.

And while the controls makes a huge difference experience in dueling does help alot in this game.

The video of the PC playing owning them all is here.

Last edited:
Seems like a simple fix. They should just make consoles compatible with USB keyboards and mice, or even make first-party keyboard/mouse controllers. That would also be useful since consoles are becoming multi-use streaming/browsing/all-in-one home entertainment centers.

They should just make consoles compatible with USB keyboards and mice, or even make first-party keyboard/mouse controllers.
I'm not a console person. If I was, I wouldn't want the complications that come with PC. That would be un-inventing the simplifications of a console.

I'm not a console person. If I was, I wouldn't want the complications that come with PC. That would be un-inventing the simplifications of a console.

Just because a keyboard hooks up to it, doesn't suddenly mean the console reverts to a PC operating system.

It wouldn't even need to be a full, qwerty-style keyboard. Instead of an actual keyboard, they could make a module for the left hand with the four direction keys and several surrounding support keys and then have a mouse for the right hand.

My main objection to gaming on a console has been the lack of mouse/keyboard control which is far superior in many types of games, particularly first person shooters and top-down strategy games.

However, if they are including internet browsers and other apps that might benefit from keyboard input, then it would make a lot of sense to have some kind of keyboard support, even if it is just a specialized, console-specific, proprietary keyboard.

This story wants to make me reinstall the game to see if the muscle memory is still there so I can run a train on those consoles players lol.
Actually, I did that. It was funny as hell! It looked like everyone was running around without any focus of direction. It was painful to watch, until I said screw it and joined in the slaughter. Force attacks are especially effective. Dodging their lethargic reactions was child's play. It was amusing for a little while, but got old quick as there was no challenge.

Seems like a simple fix. They should just make consoles compatible with USB keyboards and mice, or even make first-party keyboard/mouse controllers. That would also be useful since consoles are becoming multi-use streaming/browsing/all-in-one home entertainment centers.
Consoles are already compatible with both USB and wireless KB/M. At least the PS4 is. I already use a wireless keyboard with mine because it is easier to chat with people that don't have a headset than using the soft KB. I have not tried using a mouse, but have read that you can.

Back